Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to the forum however I have spent countless hours on here doing my homework! We have decided that the right dog for our home is a Golden so we put in our adoption application late lastnight. We're not sure how long it will be before we can actually get a Golden but we have a 18 month old son at home so we are willing to wait it out for the right dog. I do have a couple of quick questions for evryone though.

1) Are Goldens farily easy to train off leash or does it take time?

2) When we purchased our home there was a electric fence installed around the entire yard. (100X300) I am not sure If I like the idea of shocking the dog and wanted to get some feedback from those who use one daily.

Anyways, thanks for all the info on here and once we get our Golden I'll be sure to post some pictures!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum....... Every dog is different ... I have one who I trust off leash and the others noway.......Just depends on the dog... as for the electric fence , I use it for one of my dogs...he is a fence jumper and since having it he has only been shocked twice..... Once train..they know where they can go and cant......

·
Registered
386 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am in Ohio, too. Where abouts are you? I am in northeast Ohio. M

My youngest daughter was 22 months old when we got our puppy. And I think my puppy likes her the most.
Good luck with finding the best puppy for you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.
I am in Ohio, too. Where abouts are you? I am in northeast Ohio. M

My youngest daughter was 22 months old when we got our puppy. And I think my puppy likes her the most.
Good luck with finding the best puppy for you!

I am in NEO as well. North Royalton to be exact. We thought about the puppy route then came across a rescue that only deals with Goldens. My son is 18 months now and we will most likely be having another little one sooner then later so I feel much better getting a dog that has been fostered around other kids and done well with it.

Did you use a local trainer with your Golden? If so who did you use and what was the outcome?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am in NEO as well. North Royalton to be exact. We thought about the puppy route then came across a rescue that only deals with Goldens. My son is 18 months now and we will most likely be having another little one sooner then later so I feel much better getting a dog that has been fostered around other kids and done well with it.

Did you use a local trainer with your Golden? If so who did you use and what was the outcome?
I know exactly where you are. I am in Stow.
I go to the Akron All Breed Training Center for obedience training. They are really good and they also teach agility training, which I would love to do eventually with Rocky.
There are a lot of people on this forum that do rescue work, so they will be a good support for you for information.
Rocky is really good with my kids (ages 6,3,2), but he is a puppy and does all the puppy things, like nipping, chewing, etc... My youngest frequently falls on him and he doesn't care. I would make sure that whichever dog you get, that they have always been good around kids and actually raised with kids. Going the rescue route, you just never know what happened to these poor dogs and with a little one you have to be careful. Good luck on your search. I am sure you made the right decision picking a Golden for your family!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Our rescue wont adopt a dog out to a family with kids under the age of 8 unless we know the dog has been around kids.....

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

We have an Invisible Fence--not sure if that is what you mean by "electric fence." I love it! A dog has to be trained to use it (via marking flags), but Augie only received a single correction (at 75% reduction of full power, so really only a buzz) and never attempted to go by the barrier again. Nothing will get him to cross that line... not another dog, not a rabbit, not food, not a person he loves but hasn't seen in a while.... Goldens aren't stupid :) We got an IF because our community doesn't allow physical fences, but you need to consider your own environment and living habits. If you live in an area where there is a lot of wildlife, stray dogs, unsavory characters--or you like to leave your dog outside unattended for long periods, then an IF is probably not for you. Now, if you're not talking about an IF, then just ignore me :D

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I agree with Maggies Mom and LaurJen. Whichever fence you have, be it electric or invisible, your dog will learn very quickly where he can and where he can't go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I agree with Maggies Mom and LaurJen. Whichever fence you have, be it electric or invisible, your dog will learn very quickly where he can and where he can't go.
It's an invisible fence. Right now it covers the entire yard but I plan on tearing it up and only having it in the back yard. Our back yard is about 100X200 so that should be plenty of room.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Also the correction an IF gives is really quite mild. We are planning on getting one in the spring. Tinkerbell's vet and the cardiologist both said it would be safe for her.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
It's an invisible fence. Right now it covers the entire yard but I plan on tearing it up and only having it in the back yard. Our back yard is about 100X200 so that should be plenty of room.
Is there a reason you don't want it in the front? I felt the same way at first, because I didn't want to let Augie out back only to have him run to the front (and not knowing where he was at a given time), but the IF people explained that you want the front done in case they ever run out the front door by accident. What they did was pinch the sides, so that the dog can only be in the back, or only be in the front--he can't get from one to the other without going through the house. This works pretty well. He never gets to be out front unless we are out there with him, and in fact, refuses to go out the front door unless he is on a leash. Don't know why, don't much care :)

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Also the correction an IF gives is really quite mild. We are planning on getting one in the spring. Tinkerbell's vet and the cardiologist both said it would be safe for her.

Its should be fine :) People have the idea that it's like electrocuting the dog or hitting them with a stun gun or something. It's not; it's like a static electricity shock--unpleasant, but doesn't really hurt. When you start training, the collar beeps, but doesn't give a correction. The next phase is a 75% reduction plate on the collar, just to give a buzz. Augie responded so well to a single buzz that there was no need to take the reduction plate off. It's really amazing... he knows his boundaries and he is not going near them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The main reason is that we live on what I guess you would call a main road. There isn't a lot of traffic but it gets heavy at times. Your point about going out the front door makes sense but I think not having it our front will teach the dog that when we go out front we are going for a walk, when we go out back it's time to play. My concern is that if the fence is out front and we want to go for a walk the dog my not want to cross that line to get to the side walk so we can go. Obviously I'd have the IF collar off of him but he still may not want to go.

I guess I will just have to play it by ear. Actually having the dog wouldn't be a bad start either. Hopefully the resuce we contacted has a dog for us soon!

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
My concern is that if the fence is out front and we want to go for a walk the dog my not want to cross that line to get to the side walk so we can go. Obviously I'd have the IF collar off of him but he still may not want to go.

!

You have to train them for that too! You take the dog out front on a leash (without the IF collar on, obviously), tell them to sit and wait, then tell them it is ok to cross the invisible barrier. You do the same thing on the way back. They understand that they are on a leash and it's different and they trust you :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, I have a invisible fence and 8-foot fence on three sides and a invisible-fence that runs along my lake/water front. The invisble fence works very well. If I didn't have the invisible fence along my lake / water front during the summer if there was any action, kids swimming or playing across my cove Sandy would swim to check out the action. And I think Nugget would do the same. I could even include my boat dock in the acceptable area for Nugget. And I may do just that next spring.
Nugget is beginning to show interest in the ducks in my cove. I never leave Nugget outside alone. But Nugget will NOT go near my seawall, or step on my docks catwalk unless I'm leading the way. She knows when it's dock time.
In the past the labs and goldens on the North side of the lake have and do swim clear across the lakes main channel just to play with kids swimming.
Living on a lake this size is like Heaven for a water dog like a lab or golden!
A fence of any kind is a must, and a invisble fence is a the only way to go on the water front side.

·
Missing Angel Boomer
910 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sometimes the dogs at the rescue are already trained on an IF. You might luck out. We have had an IF for 9 years (also not allowed fences). Our first golden was trained on it at 6 months. We also trained Bailey at 6 months. Our fence (like LaurJen) is pinched at the sides so that the dog cannot get from the front to the back or vice versa. It was done so that if the dog got out the front door when guests came over he could not get away. Our last golden didn't even have to wear his IF collar because he was trained so well. Bailey knows that he can only leave the property when he is with us on the leash. Other than that, like Auggie, he doesn't even push the boundaries at all. They are incredibly smart! I will say, that we don't leave Bailey outside unattended yet because I don't consider him totally trained (he is only 8 months) and would never have my dog outside when I wasn't there or for long periods of time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you guys basically have 2 seperate area for the dogs...the front and the back? Meaning if the dog is playing in the back yard it can't get to the front and if he runs out the front door he can only stay in the front yard?

After reading your posts I think I will just leave the fence as it is. The only change I will make is moving the line from the edge of the sidewalk to about 15 feet before it. The more I think about it the more I think the dog should have access to the majority of the yard. If I was out in the back yard and needed to go up front I would much rather walk along side of the house with the dog as opposed to walking through the house. Of course I can't do this until the **** snow melts!

Thanks for all the input!

·
Missing Angel Boomer
910 Posts
So you guys basically have 2 seperate area for the dogs...the front and the back? Meaning if the dog is playing in the back yard it can't get to the front and if he runs out the front door he can only stay in the front yard?
Correct. If we are having a bbq, we can let the dog out in the front and he can't get to us in the back. If we are expecting guests, and he is out in the back, we don't worry that he will get hit by their cars coming down the driveway. I think it is pretty common with people who have IFs. It is like having both your front and backyards fenced in. The only problem I ever have is walking from the front to the back or vice versa. The dog has to go through the house!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts