Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just wanted to hi from NC. Just adopted a Golden (Mix). Shelby is a sweet girl. Looks and temperament just like a full blooded golden except for a little white here and there and she is only 35 pounds. Completely housebroken. Loves chasing the birds and squirrels. She was saved the night before "The Day". Thanks to Michelle who saved her, had her completely vetted (including Spaying), and then adopted her out to me. This girl will be spoiled (but not too much). :D Pics below. The only problem is some digging. It seems like a scent based digging. Any suggestions? Looking forward to participating on the forums.

Here is Shelby (thinking about changing it to Shadow, because she follows me around all the time, being curious)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to you and your shadow.
She is a pretty little girl. I see alittle cocker spaniel in her just in the eyes and the ears but perfect size. Thank you for rescuing her. Makes her even more special.
As far as the digging, I would make a special area in the yard like a sand box for her to dig. Whenever you see her digging in a spot you dont want, coax her over to the other area and let her go to town. Put little treats and toys in it and she will get the hang of it in no time. Make it fun.
She is a real pretty little girl.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Welcome!! Shelby (Shadow) is beautiful. Glad Michelle saved her for YOU. She sure has the Golden face, soft and pretty. As far as digging goes, the only way I can
keep mine from it is to stay out with them and even then it can be a "she can't get me yet, let me dig some more". Sounds horrible but when they dig a hole the only way I can keep them out of it is to fill it with dog poop and cover with dirt.

Good luck and welcome again.

Cooki
Buzz and Clover

·
3 goldens
11,733 Posts
Hello and welcome from the coast of Texas. That is a mighty pretty girl you have there. Our only remaining dog is also a golden mix, Honey that had been one hour from being gassed at the county pound when the tiny little rescue in our small town snatched her up. We adopted her. At the time we had 3 full goldens, Buck, and littermaters Hunter and KayCee. Lost Hunter at age barely 4 Oct. 2003 to autoimmune hemolytic anemia brought on by ProHeart6 heartworm preventative, then Buck at age 12 yrs. 3 mons to heart attack May 2007, and then KayCee 8 yrs. 9 months to cancer last May.

These adopted dogs seem to sense they were saved. In HOney's case, she had heart worms when we adopted her and we had to put her thru the treatment. Was right at a year old when we adopted her Dec. 7, 2002, so we also made that her official 1st birthday.

Posting a picture of our adopted golden mix gitrl.
By the way, my sistser & faily lives about 15 mies out of Chapel Hill and one of hubby's brothrs' lives out of Waynesville.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adding a couple more pics. Thanks for all of the responses. BTW, it is officially changed to "Shadow". Just had to do it. It fits her so well!!

Shadow

·
3 goldens
11,733 Posts
I swear, except for length of legs, she looks all golden. but as with our Honey, it doesn't matter. We have girls who love us and that we love. Shadow is truly a beautiful girl.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 issues. 1) Biggest. She is still digging. Not an issue for returning her. Just trying to figure out the best way to control and/or eliminate the behavior. She never does it while we are with her, only when we leave her outside when away. Never more than a couple of hours (4 on Sunday ... Church). Plenty of toys outside. So not sure if bored or smells something. Hasn't been hot enough. Really don't have a place to put a sand box. Have tried the "bury her poop in it, just dug somewhere else. Plus, that just plugs holes. I want to prevent.
So, I spread cayenne pepper over the areas she had been digging and over some other areas as well. The areas I didn't is where she is still digging. Going to Sam's Club for some bulk Cayenne pepper tomorrow and cover all the garden and flower areas. We will see how it works. Any other ideas. Fencing is an alternative I would rather not do. Crating is also an alternative. But foster mom reported she was terrrified of a crate. Also, it would only be used when we are not at home as she does great at night in a bedroom. And wakes me up to go outside.
2) Mouthing/nibbling. Very trainable. Not an issue really.
3) An 8-year old Chih/Jack Russell mix that is not very happy. A lot of barking and growling (from the Chih/JR) at times that gets Shadow excited, thinking it's play time!! And Shadow wants to play too hard and it scares her. Any ideas here?

Otherwise Shadow gets along wonderfully with others dogs and people, walks well on leash, obeys commands (for the most part), is not food aggressive ... will not even go for food on trays in the family room, and she is very loving and we are very fortunate to have her. She even has her own brand new, homemade raised dog bowl stand.

I couldn't resist. LOL. 9" high.

Thanks for your input and comments.
Dan

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh she is LOVELY!! What a great story ...So glad she was saved !!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
you've got a wonderful dog!! I've worked at several of 55+ communities where people can't have dogs over 35# - Shadow would be alot of people's dream

There is the "designer breed" called Comfort Retrievers -- goldie/cocker mix (I like the name!!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts