Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm Steph, from the UK, and my GR is Harvey - 19 weeks old and the life and soul of my house.

Untitled by StephBarry, on Flickr

He's the first puppy I've ever had, as my other dogs have been rescue dogs at about 6 years old, so this is all new to me. I'm not entirely sure I'll ever get a puppy again as I honestly had no idea how much hard work they were, but I am very strongly considering adopting a rescue GR next year when Harvey is a bit older.

I brought him home at 7 weeks, and he has been such an amazing pup - from the first night, he slept in his crate on his own without a single cry! For the first couple of weeks I set my alarm for 3am and took him out in the yard, but since he never woke me up to go, after the second week I gave the nighttime toilet trips a miss and he has had dry nights ever since. He's almost been too good to be true.

I've had a bit of trouble with him mouthing (he will chew on your hands all day long!) and one isolated incident of food possession where he bit me, but we are working through it. He hasn't chewed on any furniture yet either!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Hello and welcome from the USA! I hope you enjoy this forum and you will find it very useful, especially in those puppy years!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome from Maine. Puppies are a lot of work when they first come home but it gets easier very soon. You will find lots of advice here on how to survive puppyhood. Keep taking and posting lots of pictures so we can watch your bundle of energy grow here on the forum.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Welcome Steph!

What a lovely picture. :)

You are so right. Puppies are so much work that is why they are made so cute. We want to cry and throw in the towel and then we look at their sweet little faces. Gotta love them.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
well Harvey looks superb !!! and I can remember Tom being a bugger as a pup but it does get better and its well worth the pain from those little shark teeth.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Welcome from Texas! Yes these babes could try a Saint, but goodness you have to love them. You will find many here with a huge wealth of knowledge to help you along your path. Bless you for considering a rescue for your next dog.

But welcome and can't wait to hear your stories.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi Steph, lovely pup :0)
we have a UK group if you're interested, click community, social groups, uk golden lovers. It gets busy as we all chat most days, those that live close meet up &walk the dogs, its lovely:)

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Welcome from Michigan! Things will get better with the biting, mouthing. This is all so normal for a puppy. Looking forward to stories and pics of your Harvey...

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
Hello and Welcome fr. Northern Ontario, Canada.. Harvey is a handsome boy.. I remember puppyhood very clearly... lol.. I was one of the brave ones that did two puppies at one time.. I loved it though.. My second pup, because he was more docile, he taught my first puppy a lot.. :) He was my help.. Aren't GR the best dogs ever?!!! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I've browsed around the boards today and I'm looking forward to joining in the discussions.

Hi Steph, lovely pup :0)
we have a UK group if you're interested, click community, social groups, uk golden lovers. It gets busy as we all chat most days, those that live close meet up &walk the dogs, its lovely:)
Fantastic! I'll definitely check it out. I'm from Swansea so hopefully there are some people around here to meet up with. He goes for walks with his mum and sister (we were lucky that the breeder was someone local who we have known for a good while, schoolfriend of my sister) so he gets to see them lots and from the look of it they all remember each other! Mum reprimands him when he's naughty still ;)

But I'd love to meet up with others so I'll head on over to there now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts