Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I am new to this site and finally I have decided to get a Golden Retriever for myself !! I hope I will learn from you guys how to care and train them.
I have a few questions here I hope its ok to ask here,

1. I am getting a 3 year old GR from someone who wants to give her up because she cant breed for him, what a pity for the GR. is it ok to keep her in an apartment and bring her for long walks twice a day.

2. What kind/brand of food shall i feed her?

3. Tell me what I need to know!!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome. It is nice you are able to get a Golden. I do not know what foods you have available to you there. What food have they been on? Long walks are good twice a day, but they will probably have to go out inbetween some also. There is a lot to learn by reading on the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. It is nice you are able to get a Golden. I do not know what foods you have available to you there. What food have they been on? Long walks are good twice a day, but they will probably have to go out inbetween some also. There is a lot to learn by reading on the forum.
Hi Traz,

Thanks for the reply, over here we have most of the brand but some ppl are asking me to feed her Canidae, but after reading ever here i have doubts,what are you ppl feeding your GR? currently she is on really cheap food from the breeder. I will definately read in the forum to gain more knowledge.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is great that you will be providing a forever home for this golden girl. Many goldens live in apartments but they do require lots of exercise and outdoor time with their humans. As long as you have the time to do this for her she should adjust just fine.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new golden,
Find a good quality food and slowly transition them over from the old food. Some people still feed Canidae with no problems. When they switched their formula some dogs did have a problem with it. As far as for the walking. If you can play little off leash some during the day in addition to the long walks, he should be ok. There are several people here that live in apartments with goldens.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am getting my puppy the 7th of March. I had a Golden before & used Iams, but I will not be using it this time, I do not like the reviews it gets.. THere are a lot of good foods and you may have to see what they do well on. I believe I am going with Fromm. I also looked at Artemis, Innova, Merrick, Taste of the Wild and Chicken Soup for the pet Lovers Soul.
Like was suggested, start the transition slowly. Mix 3/4 old food with 1/4 new food & use that a couple days. Then 1/2 & 1/2 for a few das, then 1/4 old & 3/4 new for several days & then all new. See how they do. Watch the stools to be sure they are firm but not hard.
Choose something you are comfortable with. What is good for my dog might not work for your dog. There are review for food you can find online.
Goodluck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We have a 22 month old male that we keep in a one bedroom apt. He goes for 2 walks a day and is always playing in door fetch. He goes any where that we can take him and seems to get plenty of exercise. I have found that he is just as happy in the apt vs a house. I think as long as you spend time with your new girl she will not care how big of a space she lives in. Just try and bring her places with you that way she can socialize and you get to have your new best friend with you. Also dont forget the lint roller. lol They loves to shed in the car.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thank you so much for all your replies, after reading all your replies I knew I did the right thing by having her in my life. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts