Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our baby, Hobie, is 5 months old! We love him dearly and I think he's quite possibly the smartest puppy EVER!;) BUT, I came here looking for reasons why he's just started eating his poo! I've found some ideas and will be trying them! No more taking a "stick" out of his mouth which isn't a stick but frozen poo!!!:yuck::yuck::yuck::uhoh:

Anyway, I'm going to check out the threads!!

Juli

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

My Tucker is nicknamed, Potty Mouth. He follows Shadow everywhere and seems to beat me to it somtimes. I've never found anything that will make him stop this little behavior other than picking it up asap, and faster if possible...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kimm:wave:!
I read about your delima when I was searchihg for answers!! What a habit!!:doh:

Thanks for saying hello! !

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Hi Kimm:wave:!
I read about your delima when I was searchihg for answers!! What a habit!!:doh:

Thanks for saying hello! !
Yeah, it's pretty bad when they burp sometimes....:doh: What's a mother to do?

I've heard of some success with pinapple juice, but it didn't work for us. I also don't want to give him an additive suggested for this sort of thing. I can use the exercise!:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's pretty bad when they burp sometimes....:doh: What's a mother to do?

I've heard of some success with pinapple juice, but it didn't work for us. I also don't want to give him an additive suggested for this sort of thing. I can use the exercise!:D
LOL on the burp!!! At least you didn't get the frozen poo handed to you!!:yuck::eek:

I would think they'd like pinapple juice..heck if they eat poo, they'll try anything!!:yuck::)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could try a little vinegar on the poo logs. That might deter them from wanting to eat it.

Then after a few times of vinegar poo he'll stop even trying.
Thanks! That sounds better than the hot sauce. I read adding spinach to his food too! At least I have some options!

:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had the same problem with one of mine and the vet gave me the additive (not cheap) and suggested green beans added to her food would make her stop. I ended up going on "poop patrol", picking up droppings immediately after they occurred. But with 2 dogs going in different directions sometimes I wasn't fast enough. Good luck, but also tell us what works for you!!
Saca, Cahill, Chase and Sage at The Bridge

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the same problem with one of mine and the vet gave me the additive (not cheap) and suggested green beans added to her food would make her stop. I ended up going on "poop patrol", picking up droppings immediately after they occurred. But with 2 dogs going in different directions sometimes I wasn't fast enough. Good luck, but also tell us what works for you!!
Saca, Cahill, Chase and Sage at The Bridge

Thanks!! I think I'm going to try some home remidies before something from the vet! Too expensive.

Thanks for stopping in to say hello!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where in central Illinois are you located? I went to college for 2 years in Jacksonville, then 2 more years of undergrad and a couple of years of grad school in Urbana-Champaign. I still have family in Elgin and Vernon Hills, in the northern part of the state.

·
3 goldens
11,673 Posts
Hello and welcome. So, your baby likes poo-cicles. i have never had that problem (owned dogs 51 years), but i think i have been lucky it seems to be a common thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the forum. Where in central Illinois are you located? I went to college for 2 years in Jacksonville, then 2 more years of undergrad and a couple of years of grad school in Urbana-Champaign. I still family in Elgin and Vernon Hills, in the northern part of the state.

I'm close to Peoria. I have been to both Jacksonville and Champaign many a time!! I'm familiar w/Elgin and Vernon Hills as well. I have to travel to Champaign & Northwards to Aurora occasionally. Nice to meet you!
Juli:wave:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hello and Welcome,
I had one that used to eat my puppy's poo and then one day I noticed it still had undigested food in it. So Beau thought he was getting extra food. I was told that they eat the poo because they are not getting enough nutrients. Since I switched to a different brand he doesnt eat the poop anymore.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Hello, Juli. I am bouncing your nice welcome back to you.

I have had the same problem with Flem (starting after her spay at 6 months) and, unfortunately, have not been able to solve it yet. :yuck: Both Spip and Flem eat the same food and only Flem eats poo ! :confused:

I have tried the following things : pineapple, Forbid, Deter, Missing Link (in case she was missing some nutrient), Barley Grass. To no avail. One thing I have to tried yet is probiotics but since we are in the process of switching food, I will cross my fingers and hope that the new food does the trick.

Am I an optimist or what ?!:roflmao: I hope you will have better luck than I.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello, Juli. I am bouncing your nice welcome back to you.

I have had the same problem with Flem (starting after her spay at 6 months) and, unfortunately, have not been able to solve it yet. :yuck: Both Spip and Flem eat the same food and only Flem eats poo ! :confused:

I have tried the following things : pineapple, Forbid, Deter, Missing Link (in case she was missing some nutrient), Barley Grass. To no avail. One thing I have to tried yet is probiotics but since we are in the process of switching food, I will cross my fingers and hope that the new food does the trick.

Am I an optimist or what ?!:roflmao: I hope you will have better luck than I.

Gosh I do too!! I read spinich is a good one...but we'll just have to see!!!

Happy Monday!!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts