Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am wondering if you guys will be able to help me. I am currently stationed in Guantanamo Bay Cuba but i am making it home for christmas and want to do something nice for my father. Just a little back story, I was moved here in Nov. of last year and was forced to leave my 13 year old Golden girl,Shadow, at home. Within 2 weeks of me moving here my parents had to put her down due to a stomach tumor. It hit my father the hardest b/c he was scared i would be upset he didn't do more for her. As a suprise i want to get him a new puppy for christmas this year when i come home. I am looking for help finding a breeder in the Northern VA area as well as West VA. I am trying to do all this from overseas so that when i get hoe i will be able to take him to the breeder and have him pick out the one he wants. I know already that he will want a girl but i would like him to pick this one out like he did for me when i was 11. Please any help you can give would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
aww what a nice thing to do for your Dad. Just make sure that this is something he wants. Puppies are very demanding, is he up to that?
I dont have any information for youon breeders, but I hope this works out great for you and you Dad!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of your girl. I think it's wonderful that you'd like to surprise your father in this way. I don't know of any Breeder's in those areas, but I'm sure someone will. I'd also like to say Thank You for your service to our Country. If you are willing to travel a little further north, there is a very good Breeder in Maryland, DelmarvaGoldens, who has 2 litters due the first week of November...1 in MD the other in PA. You can Google 'DelmarvaGoldens' for further info. You will find that most Breeders will temperament test the pups to find the right pup for the right family.

·
16,000 Posts
Thank you for your service to our country.

I am sorry for your loss.

I might suggest that you consider a rescue for you Dad, as opposed to a puppy, unless you know that he is in a position to handle a pup - after a 13 year old dog, a puppy can be quite a shock... I would also suggest that the holidays are not the ideal time to bring puppy or new dog into a home, and that waiting until after, when things are not so hectic, might be better. Many breeders will not send pups home over holidays...

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hello and welcome,

Since you want it to be a surprise for your father, talk to your Mom and ask her if he would want a puppy. Does she want one? Then talk with the breeders. The one that Paula mentioned is a great breeder and has puppies. If he doesnt want a puppy maybe they would have an idea of a breeder with an older puppy available. Sometimes puppys are held back to be a show pup and then cant show them.

Thank you for your service to our country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your response and your help. I have talked to my mom and she said he wants one but wont tell me that he does. I am willing to drive to MD and my sister lives in WV and is willing to go and pick one up but we would really like to have him pick the new pup out b/c thats what he did for me christmas 14 years ago. Thanks for your support and again all help is apprecieated doing this from where i am is going to be tough but hopefully I can pull this off. I would love for him to get the dog while i am home b/c he has told me that he wont get another dog untill I come home but it looks like i might be here for a while and I would like to know that he has something to keep him busy while i am not at home.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss of Shadow.

I don't know any breeders in those areas, but I couldn't pass on the thread without saying good luck - I hope you can pull it off!
And thank you for serving our country.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts