Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am hoping to get a Golden this October-December. I am looking for all of the advice and wisdom I can get. I had two dogs growing up, both lab mixes and my boyfriend has a German Shepherd so I am familiar with training but I know Goldens will be different! I am excited for the challenge. :) Also, if anyone has suggestions on breeders anywhere in Florida, I am open to all options. I currently am on the list for Golden Kennel but after reading some of the forum posts, I should be leaning more towards Crescent Kennel I just haven't heard back from them yet.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,590 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much, Carolina Mom! I have been in contact with Golden Kennel LLC and Eagle Ridge Golden Retrievers (neither of which were in the breeder threads) so I'm very happy I reached out here in the forum because I want to go to the best possible breeder!

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Be sure your breeder has health certifications on the parents and that they are listed on OFA. Hips, elbows, eyes, and heart. Prism is an excellent breeder in Florida who may know who will be planning litters. Best wishes on your puppy search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much, cwag. I was wondering, has anyone heard of Golden Kennel LLC. I emailed them about whether they had their health certs. and haven't heard from them. They were a little cheaper than Prism but I'm willing to pay Prism's prices if it means my puppy will be as healthy as possible!

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Thank you so much, cwag. I was wondering, has anyone heard of Golden Kennel LLC. I emailed them about whether they had their health certs. and haven't heard from them. They were a little cheaper than Prism but I'm willing to pay Prism's prices if it means my puppy will be as healthy as possible!
They are a high volume breeder, what some might call a puppy mill. Breeding is a business and I doubt they perform the proper health certifications on the parents. They might say the puppies come with a health certificate, but all that means is the puppy saw a vet once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for this response, ArchersMom. I did actually get concerned when I sent them an email inquiring about their health certs. approximately 2 weeks ago and still have not heard back from them. Right now, I think I'm going to go with Prism. I feel the most comfortable with this breeder.

·
Registered
Dory, 5-years old
2,394 Posts
Prism is a regular poster here and a huge advocate on proper/safe/ethical breeding! You can't go wrong with her! Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts