Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka Sam =)
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here will remember me - it's been probably 7-8 years since I checked in last. I was coming to read what everyone is feeding their seniors to help with age related hip weakness and thought I'd also stop in to say hello. Hi from my sugar faced senior boy!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here will remember me - it's been probably 7-8 years since I checked in last. I was coming to read what everyone is feeding their seniors to help with age related hip weakness and thought I'd also stop in to say hello. Hi from my sugar faced senior boy!
View attachment 884367 View attachment 884368 View attachment 884369 View attachment 884370 View attachment 884371 View attachment 884372 View attachment 884373 View attachment 884374 View attachment 884375
Enzo looks like a very happy senior boy loving life to the full.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
I remember you! Welcome back! My current girl is 8, and a little bit sugar-faced, too. I'm no help on hip weakness - is it HD or simply arthritis? Your vet can probably advise you on whether supplements would help, or whether he might do well on an NSAID. It's amazing how they can give an older dog a whole new lease on life sometimes.

·
aka Sam =)
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember you! Welcome back! My current girl is 8, and a little bit sugar-faced, too. I'm no help on hip weakness - is it HD or simply arthritis? Your vet can probably advise you on whether supplements would help, or whether he might do well on an NSAID. It's amazing how they can give an older dog a whole new lease on life sometimes.
It doesn't even seem to be pain at all, just some weakness. I've just noticed in the last few weeks that he'll sometimes go to turnaround on our wood floors too quickly or hop out of his little doggy pool and his hips seem to almost kind of give out a tiny bit. He recovers quickly and keeps moving. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to slow that down a bit or if this is kind of the norm with a dog that's pushing 12 years old.

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,837 Posts

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
It doesn't even seem to be pain at all, just some weakness. I've just noticed in the last few weeks that he'll sometimes go to turnaround on our wood floors too quickly or hop out of his little doggy pool and his hips seem to almost kind of give out a tiny bit. He recovers quickly and keeps moving. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to slow that down a bit or if this is kind of the norm with a dog that's pushing 12 years old.
So hard without a vet evaluating what the issue is. If it's muscle weakness, a joint supplement won't necessarily help. Twelve is such a great age - if you can make it better for him, it would be worth having him checked out.

·
aka Sam =)
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to stop back in and update. We switched from Rachel Ray Nutrish food to Purina's Pro Plan "Focus" food. We also added Zesty Paws "Advanced Mobility Bites" twice daily. I don't know if it's the food, the supplements or a combination of the two, but he seems to be having an easier time getting on/off the bed. He's also been playing more (rolling around and growling, "killing" stuffed animals, etc, when he had just shown interest in chewing bones for a while). Here are a few pics from a recent family trip that we took to visit my in-laws. He enjoyed all of the extra space to run, the squirrels to chase (he's too slow to catch them anymore lol) and swimming in the lake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts