Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the world of Goldens, as I am now searching for the perfect puppy to bring into my family this spring. I've e-mailed several breeders in my area, and have a list of a dozen or so more breeders to contact.

While this will be my family's first dog, I have wanted one for over 10 years, ever since my husband and I bought our first house. But at the time we were both working long hours and travelling a lot. Several moves and a couple of kids later, I now feel like I have enough time to devote to a puppy, and I'm really looking forward to having a Golden in my home. I've read a lot of this forum and countless books about choosing, buying, training, and caring for dogs. But I'd love to hear any advice anyone can give me as I make my way through the Golden puppy search adventure.
Does anyone have recommendations for breeders in the CT area? Know of a good vet in or near Fairfield?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure some others will chime in shortly with some suggestions. New England has loads of top GR breeders.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have your join us. You won't regret your decision to get a golden (OK there will be days :D:p: but they are few and far between ) I'm sure some of our CT members can help you with suggestions for a breeder and vet. Good luck with your search.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As you can see, I'm far from the East Coast, but wish you well in your search for a pup. Goldens are just the best........... you're in for a real treat !!!!! In the meantime, enjoy the forum..jump in and join the discussions and ask any questions you may have.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'm in CT and would highly recommend our breeder. If you're interested let me know and i can PM you her info. I'm a first time Golden owner too (had other breeds) and I have to say I think they are the best family dog, but I could be a little biased already. Looking forward to hearing more about your search and eventual new pup.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Hi,

I live here in Hamden. One of our GR's came from the puppy referral person on the Golden Retriever Club of America's web site. They're located in Middlebury. We bring Tucker back to see them for a visit ever now and then.

·
Raini (ChatGoldens)
414 Posts
Hello and welcome, I am in Milford and we got our Phoebe from the same breeder that Kimm mentioned in Middlebury...they were first our contact with the Golden Retriever club...I would highly recommend them....I assembled a list from the clubs list....I did talk to at least 10 or more breeders in CT an one in MA...I still have all my information on my work computer so if you are interested I would be happy to forward it to you...you will find lots of helpful people here with vast knowledge....also we have a wonderful Golden retriever rescue based here in CT and a number of members here are involved in it....check it out it is a wonderful site and rescuing is so very rewarding, my Bogart is a rescue from Sunshine, I could talk about him all day...here is the site.... http://sunshinegoldenrescue.com

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hi and welcome!! I am too from CT.

I use Countryside Vet in Shelton, if you are still looking for recommendations around Fairfield maybe you could call them?

Good luck in your search for a puppy. The people here on the forum have great contacts, hope they can help you out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi and welcome. I'm in CT and would highly recommend our breeder. If you're interested let me know and i can PM you her info. I'm a first time Golden owner too (had other breeds) and I have to say I think they are the best family dog, but I could be a little biased already. Looking forward to hearing more about your search and eventual new pup.
Yes, please do! I have the breeder referral lists from the CT River Vally GRC and the Southern Berkshire GRC, so if she's on one of those lists, I may have already contacted her.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello and welcome, I am in Milford and we got our Phoebe from the same breeder that Kimm mentioned in Middlebury...they were first our contact with the Golden Retriever club...I would highly recommend them....I assembled a list from the clubs list....I did talk to at least 10 or more breeders in CT an one in MA...I still have all my information on my work computer so if you are interested I would be happy to forward it to you...you will find lots of helpful people here with vast knowledge....also we have a wonderful Golden retriever rescue based here in CT and a number of members here are involved in it....check it out it is a wonderful site and rescuing is so very rewarding, my Bogart is a rescue from Sunshine, I could talk about him all day...here is the site.... http://sunshinegoldenrescue.com
Phoebe, I would LOVE for you to send me your notes from your GR puppy search. Thanks! I'll try to PM you my e-mail address. (I'm not so savvy with the interwebs -- hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to do that:))

While I would love to rescue a Golden, the applications look very daunting, and seem to emphasize prior experience with Goldens (or at least some other dog). Also, my younger daughter is 5, which might be too young for some rescue groups (not sure about Sunshine). (My husband doesn't know this yet, but my secret plan is to get a Golden puppy now, and then in a couple of years, adopt one or two more from rescue.)

·
Raini (ChatGoldens)
414 Posts
Phoebe, I would LOVE for you to send me your notes from your GR puppy search. Thanks! I'll try to PM you my e-mail address. (I'm not so savvy with the interwebs -- hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to do that:))

While I would love to rescue a Golden, the applications look very daunting, and seem to emphasize prior experience with Goldens (or at least some other dog). Also, my younger daughter is 5, which might be too young for some rescue groups (not sure about Sunshine). (My husband doesn't know this yet, but my secret plan is to get a Golden puppy now, and then in a couple of years, adopt one or two more from rescue.)

That is a very good plan...that is what I did...I want a 3rd but my husband won't go for it now....just biding my time...lol

You are right about the age of your youngest and rescues...I believe at Sunshine it depends on the dog....I think most rescues just don't want to take the chance of a child being hurt....I will get that info to you.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
That is a very good plan...that is what I did...I want a 3rd but my husband won't go for it now....just biding my time...lol

You are right about the age of your youngest and rescues...I believe at Sunshine it depends on the dog....I think most rescues just don't want to take the chance of a child being hurt....I will get that info to you.
Do what I do...I dog-sit for Bailey! That way I can have 3! Bailey went home today. We are lost without him.

·
Raini (ChatGoldens)
414 Posts
Do what I do...I dog-sit for Bailey! That way I can have 3! Bailey went home today. We are lost without him.

LOL Kim, I would love that but DH is firm about it...it would have to be an emergency for me to dogsit for someone...ahhh, but I keep working on him...maybe when we strike it rich...my 15 yr old daughter says when she is rich she will buy my a home with lots of land so that I can have as many gr's as I want...sweet of her to remember me, huh?...lol

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My daughter lives in Fairfield and I can ask her who her vet is.

I also know some CT people who were very satisfied with their breeders.

I will PM you the information as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome,
Sounds like the forum has already jumped in to help you get your new golden puppy. We want everyone to love their goldens as much as we love ours. Good luck in your search and future adoption of a golden. You will love your golden and your children will also. They are alot of work but very smart and learn fast. They can try your patience but since you are a parent you probably understand that. LOL
Cant wait to meet your new pup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to the forum. My daughter lives in Fairfield and I can ask her who her vet is.

I also know some CT people who were very satisfied with their breeders.

I will PM you the information as soon as I get it.
Thank you very much! The more help and info I can get, the better!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts