Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Im new here and I'm so excited to say I'm gonna be getting a baby golden girl in just two days! Is there anything I MUST have before picking her up? besides the basic bed, playpen, food & treats etc... I also have shih tzu that is 9 years old so any recommendations on how to introduce them would be wonderful as well!

Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Congratulations on your cute new baby. I recommend a crate. It is so helpful with house breaking and keeping a puppy safe from itself. It will also allow you to give your shih tzu a break. I had a Bichon who was 11 when we brought Rukie home. We had taken a cloth with her smell when we picked him up. When we got home she was next door at my parents. We let Rukie wander through the house while someone got her and let her smell his blanket. Then Rukie went out back and she came through the house smelling where he had been. It was the plan to let them meet in a neutral location but it ended up being our back yard. I was very surprised at how well she took to him. She was scared of other dogs and would bark at them even though I could tell she also wanted to be friends. None of that with the puppy, they really took to each other and played well. It was scary sometimes because of the size difference and a few times little dog had to teach Rukie a lesson. It sounded and looked bad and scared Rukie but there was no actual biting. He learned quickly what was too rough or in unacceptable. It made the little dog start acting about 2 years younger to have a playmate. I hope it goes well for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Welcome! There are lots of threads that you may find helpful. Thought you might find the list in this thread helpful:

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,859 Posts
Welcome, Congratulaitons!

OscarsDad posted a great list for you that members have used over the years.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Welcome! Congratulations!!

I had a Shih Tzu when I got my Golden Retriever, Luke. Both Nicky and Luke are in heaven now. Nicky would hold his head high and march off every time Luke approached him for the first few days. In no time at all, they were playing together and even laying in a single bed together. They became the best of pals.

I now have a brand new pup, Logan, I brought home yesterday and my Cavalier King Charles, Abby, is pulling the same tricks Nicky did. I'm sure within a week she will adjust.

Ditto on the crate -- that's invaluable. I also have an xpen for the puppy's safety when I'm busy and to give Abby some breaks. Puppies can be relentless.

I've already had to break out the Bitter Apple Spray for my husband's recliner legs. Puppy's teeth aren't too damaging yet, but they will be and I think it's good to give them an aversion to things they may be thinking they'd like to chew (but we don't want them to chew.) Luckily, Logan is not a fan and it worked to deter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts