Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL,

I've been a lurker for the past month and have found this site helpful as my wife and I are getting our puppy this weekend, Dec. 5th. This will be my first puppy so this is all new to me. My brother has had Golden's for the past 20 years so I have become familiar with them in many aspects. The puppies parents are interesting as the mother is a darker red and the father is a light cream almost white color. We wanted a girl and had our choice of two girls. We picked what appeared to be the runt of the litter. So we shall see what color Bailey is when she is an adult. All the puppies ears were about the same color so there is no telling what color they will be in a year!!

My only concern right now is potty training in the dead of winter here in Alaska.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures in the near future.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi and welcome from northern BC. I know what you mean about the cold...it is here for us as well. Stay warm and enjoy the puppy stage!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
Congratulations on the new puppy. Have you picked out a name for her yet? I dont envy you with potty training in the middle of winter. The only thing I can say is to have a coat and boots ready at the door to grab fast to take her out for potty training. I wouldnt know because I live in Fla but some up north have recommended that.
There is a wealth of information in the puppy section and training section of the forum that might help with training.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Pictures are coming soon I hope.

If you can live in Alaska you can potty train in Alaska. It might even make it easier. Shovel an area that is to be the potty area, keep the boots and coat by the door (you might just want to keep a hat on all the time:)). Then get her out there after she eats, drinks, wakes up, well I'm sure you have read the drill! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody!! Luckily the weather is pretty mild right now, its 20-30 degrees. A couple of weeks ago the lows were well below zero and just the thought of going outside several times a night didn't sound overly exciting. Yeah I will fire up the snow blower later this week and make a nice "doggie" area for Bailey.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum! How excited you must be waiting for little Bailey!

Where in Alaska are you? My son and DIL live in Anchorage.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to GRF and congratulations on the soon to be new addition. I potty trained my Oakly through a Maine winter (I know, probably not even close) but I did as Abby said above and kept easy to put on heavy clothes right by the door and it wasn't all that bad. Looking forward to pictures here too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow if you can PT in Alaska in Dec. I can do Ohio in January no problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tomorrow will be one week that Bailey has been home with us and she is doing great. The place we got her from had started doing some potty training outside with the pups and she picked right up where she left off with her litter mates. She barks when she wants go #2, #1 she isn't as clear to us but she does give some settle hints for us. She was diagnosed with vaginitis this morning and we hope that this will help clear up the urgency for #1.

By the way.... she loves the snow and would rather be outside I think than inside with us!!

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
Congratulations on the new furball ! Welcome to the forum ! Can't wait to see pictures !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts