Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we are all excited about our new pup, Beau. His original name was Jethro, but I cannot seem to find out how to change our name on the board. If someone knows how, please let me know.

Anyway, we just got our pup yesterday 14 May 2005. My kids love him. I love him. We all love him. I posted a pic of him as my avatar. It was taken yesterday. I am excited to learn more information about Goldens from some seasoned golden owners. Pour it on!:D

We are trying to teach him his name, but he is not listening........I know, he is only 2 months old but..........and it takes time.
still trying to gage when he will potty, and so far he has only peed 2 times and pooped once this morning. He is constantly sniffing, so it makes it hard.
One question I have is how much to feed him? He is 10lbs. I have fed him last night after his flight(3 hrs later) a little more than a 1/3 cup of food. He was on Purina Puppy Chow from the breeder. Today I have fed him 2 times. The first time, I fed him 1/3 cup and the second time he seemed "famished" so I fed him 2/3 cup. Is that too much, not enough..........? I was told that I should probably feed him something like a holistic feed, like Canine Caviar. Has anyone heard of it. The feed store said it is better for them and without preservative and stuff. It has a better base to it. I was also told about a feed called NUTRA, i think. I want to feed him something good, but not one that is expensive, just because. Any help is nice. Thank you!
We have books, but are anxious to learn from the "experts".

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi there and welcome to you and your beautiful golden puppy! He looks gorgeous!!!

I'm past the puppy stage, and not really sure of what types/brands of foods you have over there, so I won't be able to help you out on what to feed your little rascal.

But I've heard, and believe, that fresh is best......homecooked rice, vege's, ground chicken/ground beef etc is good for them. Puppies generally need 2 to 3 meals per day I think.

Make sure after the puppy eats that you take him outside, cos that's the time that he'll need to do his toileting. That, and after waking from a nap. My goldens live in the house with me and my family, but during the day I let them out every couple of hours to toilet, and at night, they go about 10pm or so, and generally can last till they are let out at 7am.

Mind you, a puppy has a much smaller bladder capacity than an adult, so need to go out more frequently. And I used to always get caught out, with them having accidents on the floor. But that's all part of having a puppy isn't it?

Basic obedience lessons also start from this tender age......getting him to come when you call him by name, sit for you etc etc.

Make sure your children know that when your puppy is sleeping, to let him sleep. This was always drilled into me, as that sleep time is when puppies do their growing, and they need their zzzz's after getting up to mischief and exploring their brand new house!!!
So if puppy is napping........let sleeping dogs lie!!!!

I'm sure you'll do just fine, there's lots of helpful advice around!!

All the best to you all!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome to the site Jethro, great to have you here!

I am not sure what advice I can offer on your pup as I have always adopted older pups, but I'm sure you will find lots of info on this site! One thing I have found, start obedience training early and always be consistant with your pup.
Look forward to reading lots of postings from you and(hint hint) seeing lots more fotos of your beautiful beau!:cool:

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
When we got or boy he was on puppy chow and we fed him 2/3 cup of chow 3 times a day until he was 6 months old then 1 cup 2 times a day.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Jethro!

We feed our puppies Eagle Pack food - Large and Giant Breed Puppy formula. The amounts generally depend on the quality of the food (a feeding guide should be on the back) - the general "grocery store" foods call for more quantity and with food like Eagle Pack and other holistic and natural foods the puppy (and adult as well) require much less quantity for the same (or better) quality of food. I would recommend to still feed him 3 times a day and then after a couple of months decrease it to 2 times a day. Kia (our Golden mom) usually eats only once (when she wasn't feeding puppies).
You should keep him on the food he was fed at the breeder for a couple of days and then mix in any new food you decide on to make the adjustment more gradual (otherwise he might not react well to it).

From the dog food brands we have tried (and Kia ate), Kia was doing really liked Wellness as well. Do you have a special pet store or are you finding these brands in a regular grocery store? Also, another word of advice, even within one good brand of food there are different flavours that your pup might like more or less - Kia is like that.

Enjoy the site!

V.

·
Registered
20 Posts
He's a cutie!

We followed the advice of our breeder on what, how much and when to feed him. She suggested 1/2 a cup 3 times a day (so a total of 1.5 cups for the day). She said we could switch to feeding him twice a day within the first week. Once the food she provided ran out we bought Purina Pro Plan for Puppies - Chicken and Rice. He still to this day seems famished everytime we feed him - this might just be a golden thing - and I've heard from other members to this site that overfeeding a puppy could cause health problems later in life and could cause the puppy to grow larger than its supposed to. Make sure you can feel the puppy's ribs. There are usually guidelines on the food bags.

Name recognition: you really just want him to look at you when you call him. Say his name once and maybe whistle. Once he looks your way - praise him!

Potty training: taking him out after naps, after playing sessions, after eating, at least once an hour and sometimes more. This one is tough because you really have to pay attention all the time. And you really can't scold a puppy if he has an accident, because he just doesn't know where he is supposed to go. Much praise when he goes outside and everytime you take him outside, say "go outside".

Well sorry about the length, I hope I've helped. Take care.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello!

Meggies Mum said:
Welcome to the site Jethro, great to have you here!

I am not sure what advice I can offer on your pup as I have always adopted older pups, but I'm sure you will find lots of info on this site! One thing I have found, start obedience training early and always be consistant with your pup.
Look forward to reading lots of postings from you and(hint hint) seeing lots more fotos of your beautiful beau!:cool:
Hi ! your puppy looks georgeous mine was like that a month or two back but hes been through it all already! when he had diorea we fed him dry foods like chicken and rice it done the job for casper ( picture enclosed) all the best xxxxxxx

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
Welcome.....great picture. He reminds me a lot of my Samson, but now I'm feeling more like my Samson is huge. He'll be 16 weeks on Sunday, and he weighs 35 pounds. I don't think he's fat....but he is tall and big.

It was suggested to me that rather than Purina, I should find a large breed puppy food. I haven't found any yet, but I haven't had a chance to go anywhere but Safeway with all the holidays and being so busy....

I feed Samson 3 times a day.....probably about a cup. If he finishes real quick, I might give him some more. I've read that I'm supposed to feed him what he can eat in 10 minutes or so. I like to give it to him moistened with hot water for the first cup, then if he eats more, I give him dry. But, after some suggestions on the board, I'll probably just go to straight dry.

I know exactly what your saying about the housetraining. All the books I've read say to watch for him sniffing around..... Well, that's pretty much all the time. I'm learning his routine more. We haven't had any accidents in the house in two weeks, but it feels like I'm taking him out way too often. But whatever works.

Because I'm usually up pretty late (3:am all to often), I'll take him out just before I go to bed and he doesn't seem to have any problems waiting until we get up in the morning....

Also, about changing your name....try sending Joe a PM. I saw where he changed someone's name a week or so ago. So that can be done......

In fact, it's the top topic in the "Wishlist, Suggestion, Feature requests, Messages From/To Admin" Section under Technical Zone:

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7925

Rick

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Phentermine?

Huh? I don't understand it either. Was it mis-posted?

Administrator: can you clarify what 's going on here?

Have we been spammed?

Inquiring minds (or mindless) want to know! :p:

Scott J.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
AtticusJordie said:
Huh? I don't understand it either. Was it mis-posted?
Administrator: can you clarify what 's going on here?
Have we been spammed?
Inquiring minds (or mindless) want to know! :p:
Scott J.
Looks like spam to me.....not sure why they chose a thread that's so old to post in....

Not sure who Aleesha's welcoming, either......the spammer or the person that signed up in May of last year....;)

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
AtticusJordie said:
Whatever.
It was such a change from the line of thought above it, my neck almost snapped.
thanks for the insight, Rick.
They just picked a very odd place to post their spam.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
It was spam and it's deleted. User and his/her ip address banned.
Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
NEW post

First of all, sorry to use a reply to post, but having a hard time on this site I am having a problem with my rescued Golden she is 2 years old I got her in May, had her for 5 months and now she wants to kill cats.. I have several strays that I take care of, she had one pinned to the ground the other day, scared the crap out of me.. The cat was alright, but today she was after one of my indoor cats, I don't know how to deal with this and could really use some help, PLEASE write and tell me what to do

Thanks, Aimee

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Hi Aimee,

Have you contacted a trainer? This sounds like an issue where you may need professional help to start getting control over it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts