Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a puppy soon!!! so excited.
Just have a question here regarding the breeder. We were talking around to get a deposit for a puppy, we went across one. There were terminated by CKC (Canada Kennel Club) and she said there is no clearance on any eye, hips, elbows or heart. We didn't end up dealing with them, but it must not be the good breeder one,eh?
Do you guy have any idea on this?

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,598 Posts
Welcome!
I moved your post into the Choosing a GR Breeder and Puppy so members who give Breeder referrals and answer questions about them would see your question.

Enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean exactly- what does 'we went across one' mean?

No good breeder would breed animals without clearances so you dodged a bullet there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We actually deposited to her, then found out that she was terminated by CKC. Then I asked her about the health clearance of the parents and here is what she said in exact words: "No, we do not do these tests. There are all kinds of tests one can do, seems almost no limit. I feel that it is unnecessary money spent for something that still does not guarantee anything. Also, our costs would be significantly higher if we did them all. Rather, we have chosen our breeding stock from dogs that have either had clearances, or have no history of such serious illnesses. It has worked very well for us over the years, and this has helped us keep our prices reasonable. You may have noticed some breeders charge a lot more than we do.

We put a 2 year guarantee on our pups for Hip Dysplasia, which is what most buyers are concerned about. We have had very few health issues with the pups from the parents we have at this time."

So, I emailed her to ask for my deposit back.
I feel so relieve that I am not getting the pup through her as the breeder (we found that she is much more reliable and easy to talk to; her dogs have all the clearance too) that we deposited for our puppy said that breeder is actually "back yard breeder".

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
How much was she charging as my curosity is peaked?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was asking for $1300 CAD. Not a low price compare to other ones... The breeder that we are getting the pup from is asking for $1500, and the parents have all the clearance

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know a lot of people here are big on the clearances and how to go about choosing a breeder, but my Elsa is from a 'backyard' breeder, as they would call them. A ranch actually, owned by a retired woman who loves Goldens. All the dogs are descendants to some degree, of her first Golden. I talked to her for a long time on the phone, and I just felt good about her and her dogs, and she in turn felt good about me. The dogs are all AKC registered, she hires good studs, she doesn't inbreed. She doesn't do a lot of litters, but she doesn't show them, and I am pretty sure some of them wouldn't totally measure up to 'conformation', but they are definitely field working Goldens. We were invited to her ranch, even allowed to stay over night. I never asked about clearances or tests, I just wanted to be sure she wasn't a puppy mill doing it only for money.

Elsa is young still, but so far is proving to be a truly healthy, super active, outdoor-loving dog. Too smart for her own good at times, but a good-natured dog.

I hope your pup is a great dog, and glad you made the right choice for you. I just don't want to see the term, backyard breeder, put in the same basket as a puppy mill breeder.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
She was asking for $1300 CAD. Not a low price compare to other ones... The breeder that we are getting the pup from is asking for $1500, and the parents have all the clearance
Oh wow.. Ok.. Yeah for not much more you get ALOT more.. to even say that if they did the clearances they would charge more yet they aren't far off those who do clearances. So she is making quite a bit of money for not doing much with her dogs. You can do better.. If that is what you want is getting from a breeder who stacks the odds in your favor of getting a healthy pup.
The other poster who just replied about getting from a BYB..if that made you happy and comfortable with purchasing a puppy from that person I am happy for you. I have done it before..and my dog suffered because of it. It took a few years for it to pop up. I just hope you weren't overcharged. I hope you do get lucky and your pup remains healthy!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I hope your pup is a great dog, and glad you made the right choice for you. I just don't want to see the term, backyard breeder, put in the same basket as a puppy mill breeder.
I find this interesting because as far as I can see you are the first person to use the term puppy mill. There really is no real definition of this word. It is actually most commonly used by animal rights extremists to incite an emotional response. They by the way, consider anyone who has produced or may produce puppies as a puppy mill.

Likely what you are referring to is a Comercial Breeders. One that is a business designed to make money. As with any thing there are good comercial breeders and bad ones. I personally don't feel there is inherent evil in this because by their nature businesses are not ethical or unethical, it is the people who run any business making the decisions that determin the ethics. I will say when money is at stake, you do get different decisions than when not. As an example comercial kennels (a large majority of which are inspected by a government agency) meet the basic needs of their animals. They however usually do not do the extra things like health certifications. I think that is why most educated buyers do not go this route, because they want the lower risks for health conditions by having health tested parents.

This is one area where yes, Back Yard Breeders and Commecial Breeders share a trait. Most of the breeders in both these catagories do not perform the basic health tests for Goldens. So to a buyer looking specifically for health testing both of these types of breeders do get lumped together in the not going to buy from them list.

Every buyer makes there choice as to what is most important when shopping for a new puppy. For the OP it is clear that health testing is a priority. Since you did not even ask about health testing, it is clear you had another priority. I also hope your Elsa continues to be a healthy girl her whole life.

I honestly don't have a personal problem with any breeder until I see that they lie, mislead, misrepresent, or charge astronomical prices for what they are offering. In the case of the breeder in this thread, yes the price is stunningly high for the value of what is offered. And the OP was right to move on to find a breeder with the health testing in place which matches their priorities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly don't have a personal problem with any breeder until I see that they lie, mislead, misrepresent, or charge astronomical prices for what they are offering. In the case of the breeder in this thread, yes the price is stunningly high for the value of what is offered. And the OP was right to move on to find a breeder with the health testing in place which matches their priorities.
Yes, health is my top priority when we are getting the puppy as we had ugly experience with unethical and irresponsible breeder in the past.

My parents and I got an adult Shih-Tzu before Christmas 2013, about mid-December from a breeder in Minto – which later on I found did not stand after her dog. He got glaucoma in winter 2014, and it broke our heart to have his eyes removed as it was the best for him (the Doctor said that he was always suffered from the headache due to the high pressure in his eyes.) I called the breeder, and all I got was “I am sorry to hear, but there is nothing I can do for you as I am done breeding!” I was so mad and sad at the time, but I guess I should do more research about the breeder when I feel that something is not normal. That’s is what make me call CKC to check on the breeder that we asked for the deposit. She told me that I am #23 in the waiting list and there is a good chance for me to get the pup in November… That would work out to be almost 5 (well she told me there will be 4) more litter coming until then, and it sounds like over breeding to me. Apparently, she was terminated from CKC.

This is the factor that make me so sceptical about the breeder when I prepare to get a puppy.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
That price of 1300 CAD is very high for a BYB, I was thinking you were going to say around 500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes! I know right. She is trying to hide the facts that she is not responsible for her puppies from me as the way she talk was very suspicious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts