Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Panting heavily.

Hi everybody thank you for taking the time to read my post.
I have a 6 year old that recently was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. We have him on Thyrozine .5 mg . He started on 2 and half pills twice a day but was lowered to 4 a day after a check up because it was a little high.
He used to only pant when it was extremely hot outside and I mean extremely hot. The reason why he didn't pant often was because he didn't have much fur especially from his ribs all the way to his ankles. (The tip of his tail did have some fur) It was all skin so he didn't have that fur to get him hot.
It's been about 4 months or so that he has been taking his meds and is like a new dog. He is a big fur ball and has fur in places we didn't even know he was supposed to have some. :slap: :rolleyes:
I know that now his body is functioning better then it had in a long time and the new fur is new to him but can this be causing his heavy panting? He does not cough, doesn't pace around, and he eats fine. Is it possibly that his meds are still to high?
I'm making an appointment for this Saturday to check his thyroid levels again.
He pants all day. I have the ac to 68 degrees (sometimes 72). I tried turning on the ceiling fan above where he likes to lay but he always moves away from it and goes to a different room. I also got a rag with cold water and washed his face with it and same with his paws but it didn't do a thing he just kept panting heavily.
Anyone with a dog with hypothyroidism have the same issues?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Talk to your vet.

Some dogs pant because they are not cooling themselves efficiently.

Dogs also pant when they are stressed - sometimes that stress is due to pain/discomfort.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
If your dog is being given as much thyroxine as you state, then he is being seriously overdosed. That is why he is panting. Please contact your vet now, and I do mean now, and discuss in detail how much you should be giving. My dog gets .5mg twice a day. What you are describing is a huge overdose. If your vet tells you to keep him that high, please find another vet fast!

Reactions: laprincessa

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I believe the dog is panting and his heart is racing because he is getting too much thyroid medication. My dog was formerly getting .6 mg thyroxine twice a day. He started panting and his heart was racing. He was lowered to .5 mg twice a day and it stopped the problem. The normal dosage of thyroxine for a dog is 0.1 mg per 12 to 15 lb. according to Dr. Jean Dodds, one of the leading authorities on canine hypothyroidism.:)

Reactions: Noreaster

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talk to your vet.

Some dogs pant because they are not cooling themselves efficiently.

Dogs also pant when they are stressed - sometimes that stress is due to pain/discomfort.
He did hurt his back about a month and a half ago and I do believe he has been under stress because of it. He wouldn't go up the stairs in the back to come inside. I had to get him all the way around the side of the house every time he went out. Just three days ago he got the courage to go up the stairs again. Today he is not panting as much and seems to be doing alot better.
Thank you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Talk to your vet right away about the thyroid me dosage as others said - and about pain meds.

If a dog is in significant pain, to prevent normal activity for a month and a half, that is fairly serious and impacting his quality of life in many ways. I am very glad to hear he's recently started to feel a little better - but this really should be addressed in more ways. You may need to find a vet who is interested in diagnosing/treating the problem - but also in addressing pain management.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your dog is being given as much thyroxine as you state, then he is being seriously overdosed. That is why he is panting. Please contact your vet now, and I do mean now, and discuss in detail how much you should be giving. My dog gets .5mg twice a day. What you are describing is a huge overdose. If your vet tells you to keep him that high, please find another vet fast!
I should have mentioned his weight. He weighs 117 lbs. Yes I know that is alot, but he gets his daily exercises and is losing it slowly. We went to the vet today but he was out of town and won't be back until Friday. We only have two vets where I live and I don't trust the other one (bad experiences with him before) so we will wait until Friday. He is doing alot better today. We gave a cool bath last night and it seemed to have helped, he is still panting but not like before.
Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
252 Posts
when you take him in to recheck his thyroid be sure to have it tested 4-6 hours after you give him his pills for accurate results.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Definitely recheck his T4 levels, get that weight off of him!! And remember, with hypothyroidism, he was having low metabolism, and was generally cool due to that. Now with the supplementation, his metabolism is where it should be, and that may be taking some used to with the normal body temperature now. All that extra weight he is carrying, I'm sure could be playing a role.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Jinxter

We will definitely. His heart has always been a concern for me. It sometimes looks like it's trying to get out his chest and you can sometimes hear it when he sleeps.
Please let us know what the vet says!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I hope Jinx feels better soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for not responding sooner. We took Jinx to the Vet on Friday and the vet says he is fine and is taking the right amount of pills. The panting is do to his new fur that he just got. Also Thursday night we noticed that our Pomeranian was in heat. So that played a huge role in his panting aswell. We have always know when she is in heat because of the obvious but this time it never showed. It is always the last week that Jinx starts following the pom around but he didn't do that very much he just panted alot. She was done on Friday and Jinx is back to normal. I am still keeping an eye on him to make absolutely sure. But for now he is back to normal. I want to thank everyone that responded to my questions.
Just wanted to share this picture I took of him a few days ago. =)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts