Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mia was scheduled to be spayed on Monday, but after doing more research today, we're starting to think that we might want to wait until at least she goes through her first heat.

We're wondering though what to do with the following things when she's in heat:

1. When we're not at home, Mia is in her crate. I know that if we put a diaper on her when we're not there, we'll come home to a shredded diaper. Do we bother with that when she's in a crate?

2. Is it bad if she ingests the blood?

3. At night, for the past month, Mia is not in her crate, but closed in the bedroom with us. She sleeps on her own bed by ours. Will we have to crate her at night when she's in heat? We have carpet in our bedroom and don't want it to get stained.

4. Will we be able to go for walks with her, or will we have to confine her to our home and backyard (with supervision)?

Side note: Because Mia is already a small Golden for her age (45lbs - 6.5 months) does that mean that she is maturing slower than a 'normal' female Golden and might go into heat at a later age?

Thanks for all your advice, we really appreciate it! :wave:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Glad you asked this. My vet just recommended to me that Flora be spayed after her first heat, and now I'm all worried about the heat cycle and what I'll have to do, etc. ;) I'm interested in the replies you get.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,599 Posts
First, Mia is NOT small for her age. She's right where a young female Golden Retriever should be.

I don't use diapers when they're crated, for the reasons you've already stated.

I would not take her off your property when she's in season. Keep her sequestered away at home where you have full control of the situation. It's not fair to the rest of your community to parade a bitch in season through the neighborhood, and upset the neighbors dogs.

I would crate her at night while she has discharge if you don't want spots on the carpet. (She'll be fine in her crate.)

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I agree with SC. You can have some special, very fun toys that she can have only when she is in the crate-that will help keep her entertained.

Just remember that it is not forever, and it will pass. The entire heat lasts about 28 days but she will bleed for only a part of it. Some girls will bleed very heavily while others bleed lightly. And some keep themselves very clean, while others do not.

And I usually keep mine sequestered at the first sign of heat, and for a week after I think it is over-better safe than sorry, since I have an intact male as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts