Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For us in the Northern climates, we only need to use heartworm meds seasonally. Further south it should be year round.

We used Sentinel last year and will probably use it again this year. What do you guys use and when do you use it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know only two heartworm medications: Sentinel and ProHeart.
Both are known to have some bad side effects.
Ina

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a vet tech so I take what I can get free! Right now I am using the generic form of Heartgard, Iverhart.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a whole bunch of them out there that do different combinations of things. Heartworm, hookworm, fleas, ticks. Some have been around for years and are safe, a few are dangerous (Proheart 6 as an example). To list some common ones, Interceptor, Sentinel, Revolution, Heartguard.

So does anyone here besides Goldenboys and myself use Heartworm Meds on our dogs?

·
Registered
256 Posts
We used Revolution - the 6 month pack - in the past and it seems to work fine, we were happy with it. Usually we start in the early summer months and carry through to fall. It is easy to administer and is supposed to get rid of any fleas and their eggs partying on the dog and the carpets right away.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here we have drops that we put on the skin at the back of the neck. Spot On i think it is called. I read that most of the fleas found on dogs are actually cat fleas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Interceptor on my boys. Shortly after Brandy arrived, he was found to be infested with worms. Once that cleared up, it was suggested that I go to Interceptor and protect them from all worms including heartworm.

Seems to do ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We use Heartgard.

Prohart 6 (the 6 month injection) is going to be used again. Please do not use this form of heartworm preventative. It can cause some very serious health issues for your dog...which is why the FDA pulled it from the market initially. But it looks like they will be allowed to sell it again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is coming back on the market, and yes, DO NOT use it. It is a 6 month injection and there are just too many risks involved in using it. It's not worth the risk.

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
On the advice of our vet, we will rotate Sidney between Interceptor and Heartgard on a yearly basis... its what we did with our last dog. Our vet doesn't want to take the chance of developing a more resistant heartworm... (kind of like what antibiotics do to bacteria over a long period of time).

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Heartworm

We live in the south eastern area of Ontario (Campbellford) and our vet doesn't use any heartworm meds on his dogs. He leaves it up to us but he told us that there isn't a strong need in this area and he has a hard time with the drugs found in heartworm medication. He's a young but old-fashioned vet. He would rather find an old remedy for some of the ailments dogs get and when I suggested I wanted Mojo tested for Thyroid I had to almost twist his arm to take blood. Our breeder will also NOT put her dogs on Heartworm. Has anyone else had people tell them to not put their dogs on this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The oral, monthly heartworm preventatives are very safe. I wouldn't have any worries about using any of them on my dogs. The Proheart 6 month injection is not safe however. MANY dogs have died after receiving this.

I live in Florida, the bug capitol of the US! So I could not imagine a vet telling me my dog didn't need heartworm preventative. If you don't use heartworm preventative here, your dog IS going to get heartworms. The treatment for heartworms is very dangerous and expensive. I have seen healthy dogs die while undergoing heartworm treatment. It is not a risk I would advise taking. It must be wonderful to live in an area where mosquitoes are not an issue!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Believe me, bugs are a huge problem here. We just don't seem to have the infectious bugs too much. Mind you, I haven't taken the dogs to the vet for their yearly exams and shots so it may be different this year. I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Here in the Chicago area Heartguard is quite popular. We have sooo many mosquitoes, I can't imagine not using a preventative! Have you ever seen a model of a canine heart infected with heartworms?!?! Yikes!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mojosmum, I would get a second opinion. Here too there are no cases of heartworm, but you don't have to travel far to find infected areas. It is possible that the Heartworm is low in your area because people are using it to prevent infection. If people stopped, it could start infecting again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use Intercepter for Heart worm and Advantage for fleas. We use the Intercepter from Apr through Nov. The vet then requires a blood test to check for HW before starting on HW preventative again in Apr. It gets pretty expensive. The blood test was $24 and the pills are $7.03 per pill each month. Karen

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use interceptor for the dogs and frontline plus for ticks and fleas. I use the heartworm stuff all year cause sometimes it can get warm in the winter and no telling if there are mosquitos. I use the frontline plus for may-august because they aren't real bad hear. We use revolution on our kitten, she lives indoors so we're not going to worry with flea and tick stuff, my last cat lived for 14 years and never got one flea or tick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a vet tech and give all my goldens heartguard plus year round. I use k9 advantix for fleas and ticks. I also every year have the 3DX test. My cats/kittens (indoor) are on revolution for fleas and ticks. I live on 6 acres (wooded) and have never had a flea or tick on any of my animals.
Fleas and Ticks are bad again this year in my area. I am a dog trainer full time and a certified vet tech part time, It seems like every year it gets worse and worse! :mad: Just about every class I teach I have atleast 2 dogs with ticks on them!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts