Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my puppy to the vet yesterday to get his last set of shots and our vet recommended we get the Heartworm injection when he gets 6mo old. He said it lasts for 6 months. He Aldo said that FDA just approved an injection that lasts for a full year, but that the pup has to be 1yr old to get it. He told us that Australia has had this drug on the market for 20yrs. Right now we’re doing Advantage Multi once a month. Any thoughts or negative information on doing this? Sorry if this topic has been covered before! I did a search but couldn’t find anything.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I haven't heard of this before but my philosophy for any new medicine/immunizations for people is to wait a couple of years to see if any unintended consequences arise (unless there are no other alternative medicines). Personally, I wouldn't give it to my dog until it's been used for several years since there are alternatives known to be relatively safe. Maybe it's not new, I've just never heard of it.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Back in the early 2000's there was a proheart injection yes- but it was removed from the market.
Unless it is impossible for you to use a calendar, it is imo not a big deal to remember on the first to give a HW preventative, one that (if something goes wrong) isn't impossible to remove from your dog's system...

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,394 Posts
There are some threads here on the Forum about the Proheart 6 injection, if you use the Search feature they will come up. One member lost her dog after he received it.

As Prism mentioned in her post, Proheart 6 was pulled from the market in 2004 due to adverse reactions to many dogs and several dying from it. It was released again back on the Market in 2008.

Here is the article about it-

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/080715m.aspx

Here is a portion of an article from the FDA about it-

ProHeart 6 was approved in 2001, then voluntarily removed from the market in 2004 after reports of adverse events, including death, anaphylaxis, seizures, elevated liver enzymes, and immune-related blood problems. The FDA worked with the drug maker (at the time, Fort Dodge Animal Health), to develop a voluntary Risk Minimization Action Plan (RiskMAP) for ProHeart 6 that set several conditions in place, including restricted distribution of the drug to veterinarians who had completed specific training and certification, informed consent on the part of dog owners prior to treatment, revised product labeling with additional safety and risk information, and the establishment of certain criteria that dogs should meet to determine whether treatment with the drug was appropriate. The RiskMAP also encouraged veterinarians and pet owners to report adverse events associated with the product to the FDA. The drug sponsor also worked to eliminate residual solvents resulting from the manufacture of the product and that may have contributed to the reported adverse events. When ProHeart 6 returned to the market with the implementation of the RiskMAP, reports involving death, including reports of death associated with anaphylactic reactions, decreased. Since that time, the conditions imposed by the ProHeart 6 RiskMAP have been revised based on the FDA’s continued close monitoring of reports of adverse events. The drug maker has added ProHeart 12 to the existing RiskMAP for ProHeart 6 to ensure the safe use of both products.
You can view the entire article here, it also discusses Proheart 12 that has been released.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/cvm-updates/fda-approves-proheart-12-moxidectin-prevention-heartworm-disease-dogs

I would discuss your options with your Vet, certain preventatives work better than others based on where you live, your temperatures, weather conditions, etc.

I have used Heartgard Plus for many years, my guys have never had any problems, reactions etc., and they have always tested negative for HW at their yearly exam.
I prefer to use a monthly dose vs. a preventative that is for 6 months or longer.

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
I haven't heard of this before but my philosophy for any new medicine/immunizations for people is to wait a couple of years to see if any unintended consequences arise (unless there are no other alternative medicines). Personally, I wouldn't give it to my dog until it's been used for several years since there are alternatives known to be relatively safe. Maybe it's not new, I've just never heard of it.

This is how I operate, too. It's why I have not used Bravecto yet. I want to see how dogs do who are on it for their entire lives, who have litters on it, etc. I would love to give an oral tick prevention, but for now, I work on improving my application of the topical one every month! :wink2:

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,478 Posts
I do and recommend the same thing. Wait wait wait. I remember ProMeris for dogs came out vets were paid (kick backs) to discontinue frontline and advantage in their practice to use and recommend Promaris and it was causing problems in dogs (PF) "dogs being treated with ProMeris Duo run the risk of acquiring a variant of the condition pemphigus foliaceus (PF)." PF is an autoimmune skin disease in the form of lesions on the face and ears. They then reformulated it and renamed it to Vectra from what I was told at the time by a vet (can't say this is for a fact just their word)

Point is, anything new like this, i wait a couple years as well to see what comes of any side effects.

I haven't yet heard of this injectable heartworm preventative either.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Thanks for all the information! I was skeptical about this and it’s really no hard to just give the monthly! I’ll definitely check out the links, but I don’t want to risk it. So far we’ve had no side effects from the Advantage Multi. My husband and I just have a time holding him still to get it on his skin and not his fur! I’m so glad I found this forum!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a long time and I completely agree w/ Cwag. I always wait to recommend any new to the market drug until it's been out long enough to really know the potential adverse / side effects. I'm not familiar w/ this particular injection so I can't comment on the safety / efficacy of it as seen in Australia. Personally, I'd stick w/ the heart worm meds that have been used here for years and have a low incidence of adverse effects. If nothing negative comes out about the injection in about 5 years, I'd consider using it.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,478 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all the information! I was skeptical about this and it’s really no hard to just give the monthly! I’ll definitely check out the links, but I don’t want to risk it. So far we’ve had no side effects from the Advantage Multi. My husband and I just have a time holding him still to get it on his skin and not his fur! I’m so glad I found this forum!
Something that may help with the application of the spot on products... When I used them, I would use a flea comb to pull the fur to the side at the base of the neck and shoulders and that would give me a clear and straight access to the skin and would easily apply it without getting out all over the fur.

·
Registered
12,452 Posts

There are oral heartworm preventions - very easy to give. They are like a little treat you give after a meal. There are several options - and they are often paired with flea and other parasite controls, so you'd want to make sure you aren't doubling up on a medication (say, if your dog is already getting a flea prevention with his tick prevention).

·
3 goldens
11,695 Posts
Hunter

I am the oen that lost my beautiful golden boy to Proheart 6 on Oct. 16, 2003. That is his picture in my avatar. We got him and his litter mate sister in Oct. 1999. they were so different for litter mates. From the get-go, she was leery of things she didn't recognize. He was as brave as they came and had to investigate everything. He played all the time--we called him the Long Lean Playing Machine. KayCee like to snuggle on the sofa. They both liked to fetch, but he would do it from sun up til midnight if we would throw something for him. She was typical golden and ate any and everything. He was no chow hound. He would eat, go play, come and eat, go play. If your dropped a cookie, chip, bread crumb on the floor, he sniffed and walked away--our other 3 would pounce on it.

ell, due to his picky way of eating I had worried me might not swallow all of his Interceptor heart worm prevention and my vet had been talking about this 6 month injection and I decided to use it on him. BIG MISTAKE. He soon begin losing weight and was not as active. Turns out he had developed Autoimmune hemolytic anemia and his liver was dying. He spent 8 days in ICU and the changes in him broke my heart. His tongue was sort of an orange color, his belly so bloated you could not see his privates when he was sitting (belly had been shaved for sonogram), and his "temples" sank in and his head grew pointed. I went three times a day to visit him and take him fresh boiled chicken and I was allowed to take him outside to do business and to sit with him out there.

We live in a small town with only 1 vet but he is so good people come out from the city of Corpus to bring their animals to him. One guy drove 400 miles from Fort Worth for my vet to operate on his dog---he is that good Well, looking at the sonogram it looked like Hunter hasd cancer of the liver. Oh, the ICU is in the "work area" where they take do pet to dentals, prep from surgery, set broken bones, etc. always folks back there and they all fell in love with Hunter. they said he never sat and barked or carried on, just watched what was going on. He was taken from his unit every day for blood draws and he never put up a fuss, always went back in with no trouble. He didn't even have to wear a cone to prevent him from messing with his IV. They all said he was the best dog they had ever had in ICU.

On the 15 his blood was so bad my vet started him on a new drug that is used in chemo therapy. I went in the net morning and my heart sank. His eyes were sunk in and he was heaving. he refused his chicken. Went back at noon and he was no longer heaving, but he looked terrible. then I went back at 6:15 (they close at 7:00) and I knew in my heart he was dying. I opened the door and sat there brushing him and telling him how much I loved him and he would just lean against me. The receptionist told me to say as long as I wanted...they would stay. It was already 7:00. Three times I got up to leave and the look in his eye pulled me back. Finally I left. I had never cried in front of him and any time I felt my voice breaking I would only love on him and not say anything. I can see remember him watching me leave that night. I had not been home but about 20minutes if I remember right and my vet called. Right after I had left Hunter went into seizure and the tech called him but by the time he got there Hunter was gone. Had a necropsy done and when the report came back--no cancer in the liver, his liver was just dying.

When first diagnosed I had gone to our little library to use the computer to researched AUIHA--had never used computer. I learned that the death rate was about 80%. Perhaps Hunter could have over come just the AIHA, but not along with the dying liver. Long story short, as I did more after eh died, I found story after story of people who had lost or almost lost their dog/dogs to it. Stacy in Florida took both of hers in at the same time. Her pom, Precious, was dead in a day and her sheltie, Jamie-Lyn was on meds the rest of her life. Jean in Colo took all 3 of hers in the same day. In short order, Tasha, a 45 pound white fluff ball was dead of AIHA, Niki, the "skipper key" no idea how to spell it was--dead from dying liver. Casey, the 2 year old lab/shepherd. on meds the rest of his life. One in Philly lost both of hers, one in Canada lost her seeing eye golden, Kim in Dallas lost her rottie, Ashely almost lost her pit, Laurryn in Dallas almost lost her pug, and the list goes on and on and one. So many of us posted our e-emails and I got so many from others who had lost or almost lost their dog/dogs.

I started writing Fort Dodge. 3-4 times a week relaying stories of the dogs that had died. two of the top killers were AIA and the liver. Seizures was another thing. One in Minn lost her border collie, Bandit the same day I lost Hunter. Seizures took Bandit. Two, Jean in Colorado and Laurryn just out of Dallas started sites to warn folks and so many of us told our stories there. We were writing Victoria Hampshire who was in charge of the animal part of the FDA. According to the records, by the time ProHeart6 had been on the market 4 years, it had killed more dogs in that 4 years than all others combined and some had been on the market 25 years.

One day my vet called and said he had a letter from fort dodge asking if he thought I would accept X amount of dollars towards my bill--over half of it. The catch was I had to sign a release saying I would never disclose the amount I got, and that I would never again say to anyone that Proheart 6 was the cause of Hunter's death. I went and got the letter & release, came home, red the entire thing, wrote on the letter "shove it where the sun doesn't shine" and sent it back. If I could save one dog, I would nto sign and get that money--even tho it was struggle to pay the vet bill. then about 6 weeks later, they up and send the money tomy vet without me even signing, so I never shut upwarning folks.

Labor Day weekend 2004 my brother 7 family were down and we had just sat down to eat supper when I got a call from Lauryn--the FDA had Proheart pulled---tho Fort Dodge was saying they did it on their own, then In Dec I got a call from Connie in Florida (her show Italian Greyhound developed seizures and other trouble and could nto be shown again nor bred and she was fig hint FD hard with so many of us) saying that there was going to be a hearing in Dc in Jan--on the 5th I am thinking--and all that could attend were needed and those that couldn't' were to write their story and send it to such and such a person. Fort Dodge was trying to get PH6 back on the market. Copies were made of every report for all 15 members. I sent in the story. Hundreds of others did as well, and most of us including a picture of our dog/dogs. I don't recall who all went, but I know Laurryn, Jean, Janice from Houston (she lost her hound), Connie, stacy, one from MI that lost her Yorkie, and a few others went to testify. That night I got a call from Lauryn--the panel had said it could not bring ProHeart 6 back until it had been reformulated and proven safe.

She said Fort Dodge had showed up with their vets, with lawyers, and Banfield had shown up. they claimed no dog vaccinated at their clinic had ever had a reaction--but several of the reports from those that lot or almost lost a dog said different. I guess we had enough proof that it was killing our dogs. It was off almost 4 years. I will never use it again, ever. And now they are going to introduce the 12 month--which has been used in Australia all along. We had some come from Australia looking for answers. They have no form of animal FDa down there.

One other thing that happened. We had made reports to Dr. Hampshire and she saw the pattern. and she was responsible for it removed in the first palce. SO FD didn't' want her to testify at the hearing in Dec. and claims were made that she was against it because hse owned stocks in Pet Med or something--=-which wa not true. She was "regulated" to the broom closet, couldn't not testify, (but it made no difference) and then she was cleared of all charges. Pretty low down wasn't it!

When it was brought back it had what they call a "black label" with all kinds of limitations. Vets even had to watch videos on it. It was not to be given to senior dogs, dogs with allergies, puppies, I can't remember what all. I do not know if that black label is still in effect or not, but what I know is I would never use the 6 month much less the 12 month, not after what me and so many of us went thru. And not one tht used it said they would ever use it again. Even after all these years many of us are still in contact thru e-mails, on FB, etc.

Pictures of my sweet boy--He and KayCee the day we brought the home, then in the kiddie pool,, hime with his head resting on her on the bed, him bringing's favorite toy for our Granddaughter. I would put her on the blanket and he would bring his toys and put them on there for her to play with. And then one of him with our son, Ron. He was only 4 years, 2 months old when Proheart 6 killed him. A sweeter dog never lived. he had more patience than any dog should have have. When we adopted 1 1/2 year old golden girl honey in Jan. 2002, she tormented the life out of him and he just took it in stride.
About Kaycee's name. one of my favorite actors was Keith Carradine and that is how you spell his initials. Took hubby the longest time to figure it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
I started mine on Proheart 6 a year ago. They have been fine. It’s been on the market for over 10 years now. The 12 makes me a little nervous.

Confession: I am the worst at remembering heart worm meds. I have a memory problem. These injections have been the best thing ever for us!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3 Golden’s that is heartbreaking to hear. I can only imagine how you felt going through that. Even though I’ve only had Aidan a couple of months I’m so attached to him he is like my baby. I’m so glad I asked because we would have probably done the shot at 6mo. It’s just not worth the risk!

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
I started mine on Proheart 6 a year ago. They have been fine. It’s been on the market for over 10 years now. The 12 makes me a little nervous.

Confession: I am the worst at remembering heart worm meds. I have a memory problem. These injections have been the best thing ever for us!

That's what Smart Phone calendars are for! Put in "Heartworm" on the 1st of the month (or 15th or whenever you give it) and program it to repeat monthly, forever, and pop up with a reminder on the day of. :smile2:

·
Registered
726 Posts
That's what Smart Phone calendars are for! Put in "Heartworm" on the 1st of the month (or 15th or whenever you give it) and program it to repeat monthly, forever, and pop up with a reminder on the day of. :smile2:
I know how to program my phone to remind me. I have an honest to goodness memory issue. If that alert happens when I’m busy or out, it gets forgotten. Then a few days later, I’m wondering if I remembered. It’s too important to miss a dose so I prefer using the injections. My dogs are doing well and we’ve been using for more than a year.

·
3 goldens
11,695 Posts
Many dogs did just fine. But far to many didn't. That is why it was pulled in Sept. 2003 and was off the market for alomost4 years and came back with serious warnings. My girl gets her heartworm pill on the 1st each month. I have stickers that I put on the calendar when she gets it. Been doing this for YEARS. I started on heart worm prevention with my Irish Setter when you had to give a pill every day. Filarbits is what they were called. We had never heart of heart worms until my Dady's englihs Setter came down with them. He was treated with arsenic and went blind and died a few weeks later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts