Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum but I have owned a golden before and am looking to adopt another. I am currently looking at a 5 month old golden at a breeder in NJ. He had a heart murmur at 7 weeks but it is gone now and was cleared by the canine cardiologist. What are the chances of it coming back or having complications in the future? I am trying to decide if this dog is right for me. I know the murmur is common in goldens but I don't want any complications with it in the future. Any info is helpful! Thanks! -Jen

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I am no expert but I think it is common for golden puppies to have heart murmers that go away in time. I believe they are graded by numbers and if your pup had a low grade murmer it is more likely to go away and never return. There have been several members here that have had pups with murmers and I hope they will chime in with more educated advice.

Oh, WELCOME to the forum. :p:

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
As long as you get to see a copy of the clearance, I think it would be fine.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Puppy murmurs that go away (usually by around 16 weeks of age) are fairly common in Goldens. It's basically a growth thing and does not cause problems later.

There are of course more serious murmurs in Goldens that can be very serious, usually related to SAS or mitral valve prolapse.

If a cardiologist cleared him, he should be fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A minor heart murmur was found on my puppy at 7 weeks. He went in at 4 months and the heart murmur was gone. He has been good and is a normal puppy at 5 months old. Puppies that had heart murmurs that went away have nothing wrong, just took a little longer to fully develop their hearts. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Super Moderator
4,244 Posts
Asia also had one early on that went away and never returned. The vet said it is common at a young age as their hearts have not fully developed so don't worry!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I got Piper knowing full well she had a had a level 5 heart murmur. It was loud enough that you could hear it just sitting next to her. I had an ultrasound done to identify which type she had and it turned out to be the non fatal pulmonic stenosis type, not the aortic version which could be fatal at any time. In a year, it had diminished to a level 2 to nothing. Now the only time I hear it is when she becomes extremely excited about something.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Our Logan had one as a puppy -which he outgrew. Lacey still has one that is about a level 1 to 2, but has never caused her any problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts