Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently moved back to Washington State and have been healthy paws members since 2015. Well we just received notification that our monthly rate is increasing from $118 to $252.25 in two months. That’s a huge jump! And when I called to ask why, I was immediately to another person who just said they would have their executive leadership team reach out because there is some “stuff going on in Washington” that he “doesn’t understand.” When I asked about the lack of transparency about the changes (no explanations anywhere on the site or with my policy change), he just said “well you should have received an email, so I’ll tell them to check their inbox.” Anyways, just feeling really annoyed with healthy paws right now and hating that you get trapped with a pet insurance because of preexisting conditions.

·
Super Moderator
226 Posts
We recently moved back to Washington State and have been healthy paws members since 2015. Well we just received notification that our monthly rate is increasing from $118 to $252.25 in two months. That’s a huge jump! And when I called to ask why, I was immediately to another person who just said they would have their executive leadership team reach out because there is some “stuff going on in Washington” that he “doesn’t understand.” When I asked about the lack of transparency about the changes (no explanations anywhere on the site or with my policy change), he just said “well you should have received an email, so I’ll tell them to check their inbox.” Anyways, just feeling really annoyed with healthy paws right now and hating that you get trapped with a pet insurance because of preexisting conditions.
They got sued in Washington and for a time weren't even allowed to sell insurance in that state. I'm guessing that may be where your problem lies.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably right. We did get money from that lawsuit unexpectedly. I’m just blown away by the increase in one year. I just wish we weren’t locked in with them because of preexisting conditions or else I’d leave just on principle. We might anyways.

·
Super Moderator
226 Posts
You are probably right. We did get money from that lawsuit unexpectedly. I’m just blown away by the increase in one year. I just wish we weren’t locked in with them because of preexisting conditions or else I’d leave just on principle. We might anyways.
I've heard many times that healthy paws is really bad for huge rate increases, that is why we didn't choose them. I'm sorry you're dealing with it now.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I know where you live and how much average vet care costs is a factor in establishing rates. So if you moved from a rural area to an urban area, that could be a factor. It could be that vet care overall is more expensive in Washington than in whatever state you were in. That is a huge increase, though, so if you're not getting straight answers from the company, I would definitely think about changing companies. And when you call around, I would tell them your experience with HP and explain that is the reason you are looking for a better rate and policy. They will want to try to get your business, so you might get a better rate 9which could be more challenging if your dog is older or has a pre-existing condition).

Reactions: JMME

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
At that rate, you might need to do a cost-benefit analysis on the cost of the monthly premium vs the cost of treating whatever pre-existing condition your dog has that makes you leery to switch.

To mitigate monthly premiums, you might consider increasing your deductible. But that is at your own discretion. I have Embrace and my premiums haven't gone up on Lana at all in the 2 years we've had it on her. It's still like $26 a month but we have a $1000 deductible. I can rationalize spending $300-ish a year on premiums because we have a $15000 policy coverage, but I don't think I could as easily rationalize spending $3000-ish a year on premiums.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rate change doesn’t have to do with moving. Interestingly, my rates were higher in both Illinois and Arizona. I moved back to Washington in the fall and my rate dropped to $118. I’m in the same house and my “anniversary” rate change starts in 2 months and was more than doubled. It’s crazy. I’ve never had such a huge change. I’ve been customers with them since one was a puppy and the other 2. It’s disappointing to see such a big increase in one year - and leaves me to wonder what the rate will be next year. I originally picked Healthy Paws back then because I thought they didn’t do birthday rate changes, but I either misunderstood or that changed in the last couple of years. We are thinking we will probably just cancel and put the money in savings account for the dogs.

·
Registered
Goose & Merlin
80 Posts
We use Trupanion and they lock the rate for life.

Reactions: JMME

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Trupanion is who we would go with if we switched now or for our next puppy. They say that they don’t change rates based on birthdays (as of now anyways). Maybe a little more pricey upfront, but seems like the better option in the long run

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
How much of a yearly increase?
I paid about $35 or $40 a month with a $500 deductible when I first got the policy when my dog was 8 weeks old. At the seventh year, it was up to $85. I expect it will be about $95 when it renews this year. I do live in an area where vet care is very expensive (it's nearly $100 now just to walk into my vet clinic). But I know others who've had similar rate raises every year with Trupanion. That said, I have zero complaints about them. They cover what they say they do, and they are efficient and friendly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts