Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya! So Moose turns 22 weeks tomorrow and he is 49 pounds! I really want him to be a strong and healthy boy, and wanted to see if this is a healthy weight for him. He is not overweight IMO. Once he hit five months I upped his food intake to 4+ cups a day- as well as how much he exercises (a 1.5 hour walk + NONSTOP playing at daycare six days a week. He never chills or lays down when he’s with other pups)

I’ve found an equation to see how large he will be once he’s full grown, and it told me he’d be around 97-115 pounds. The equation was 49/22 x 52, and I got 115. Not sure if that is at all accurate- But both of his parents were 80+ pounds AND he was the largest of the litter, coming home at 14 pounds at 7.5 weeks

I wanted a big boy, but does anyone think that he would get that big?? I included pictures of him from ALL angles to see if he looked healthy or not haha.

I ask a lot of questions about his weight- but I’m very obsessed with him as well asmaking sure he’s healthy

And I had to include this one of him with a pot belly after eating haha

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
He looks good! Since he came from large dogs, you can expect him to be larger than 80lbs. My boy came home at 13lbs and has matured to be 70.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Um 115lbs seems a bit excessive and above the breed standard for a male golden retriever. I would have thought over a 100 lbs is a no no. But maybe other more knowledgeable people can way in. There meant to be sporting dogs.

Our boy Teddy is 90 lbs. He came to us at 18 months old at 81lbs/37kg. But Vet said he had a little bit more muscle to put on before turning 2 years old, but that he didn’t want him to go over 40kg for him to stay healthy. He has thankfully topped out at 90lbs/40kg. Even that’s over the breed standard I think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um 115lbs seems a bit excessive and above the breed standard for a male golden retriever. I would have thought over a 100 lbs is a no no. But maybe other more knowledgeable people can way in. There meant to be sporting dogs.

Our boy Teddy is 90 lbs. He came to us at 18 months old at 81lbs/37kg. But Vet said he had a little bit more muscle to put on before turning 2 years old, but that he didn’t want him to go over 40kg for him to stay healthy. He has thankfully topped out at 90lbs/40kg. Even that’s over the breed standard I think.
It seemed very concerning! I have seen one on here that got up to 130 😱. I think his name was Max. And he was not overweight at all, just a big man... There’s always those few that are just overly big I guess 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure if my Moose applies to that, but that’s just what my equation told me 😂

·
Registered
510 Posts
It seemed very concerning! I have seen one on here that got up to 130 😱. I think his name was Max. And he was not overweight at all, just a big man... There’s always those few that are just overly big I guess 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure if my Moose applies to that, but that’s just what my equation told me 😂
Well it will be interesting to see how he develops. If he’s a big fella I’d be wanting to do lots of swimming for exercise for him so as not to put too much stress and strain on his joints.
My husband does dead weight lifts with Teddy in his arms to put all those lbs to good use!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it will be interesting to see how he develops. If he’s a big fella I’d be wanting to do lots of swimming for exercise for him so as not to put too much stress and strain on his joints.
My husband does dead weight lifts with Teddy in his arms to put all those lbs to good use!
Haha!
I do plan to keep updating this forum on how big my Moose is 🤣

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,204 Posts
He is not overweight by any means as far as body condition, he looks perfect BUT i will say this... Make sure you are feeding him a large breed food so he doesn't grow to fast. He may not be "overwieght" but if he's growing too fast that is not good for his joints. You want a controlled growth. 4 cups a day is about average for a growing male. 3 cups a day for a female. I wouldn't just keep upping his food as that will cause him to grow faster too. He may burn the extra food but would be fine at 4 cups unless he starts to get skinny which hes not now. Also, if he's running and exercising at a rate you have to up his food that much, he's over exercising to much for his age and joints, slow that down some and do more mental stimulation like puzzles to get treats, training more times a day and shorter intervals, chews that last and keep his attention. That is more exhausting then physical a lot of time, especially at this age.

Who ever said a Golden at 130 pounds was not overweight was lying to themselves/in denial or it was not a pure bred golden. At 90 pounds is pretty far from standard but not unheard of.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Most use how a dog looks to determine the proper weight. Looking at your pictures you pup looks just about right. Do some research on line, you should be able to find more on telling the proper weight of a dog by how they look...

Like people, they all come in different sizes, so using weight is not a good measure..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Moose is definitely a handsome boy. He looks about right to me. Every thing I've read and heard says that he should have a visible waist from above and you should run your hand his side and just feel his ribs but they shouldn't stick out. Your vet should be able to advise on proper weight as you go. I've had 3 oversize boys that weighed in the 85-95 lb range and the vet always liked to see them below 100. More body weight can be harder on joints

·
Registered
21 Posts
His waist line looks good and you should be able to feel like ribs by running your fingers along with rib cage without having to push in. My pup was 12 lbs when we brought him home and put on so much weight and so quickly. His dad was around 100 lbs so we knew he was going to be a bit bigger. Now he is around 78 lbs at 10 months and has been there for three months or so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the replies! I can feel his ribs and hips without any pressure at all, and his waist indentation is good as well! My vet and boss said he’d most likely get to 90 or so, since he was a larger puppy-he had a big frame and massive paws- and his parent are bigger (I think the breeder said dad was 87 lbs and mom was 80 lbs). So I know he’s gonna be a bigger man.

I put him on the 4 cups a day because that’s what the internet said a 5 month old needed. I plan on cutting him back once he gets about 7 months. Once we hit warm weather here we’re gonna go swimming very often since I have a pool.

And the equation I found was from a random site, didn’t think it was reliable at all.
I really am trying to make sure he grows at a good rate, and isn’t too heavy or anything. But I’m a very active person and like to take him with me on my walks and to the daycare I work at.
When he goes to daycare for 8 hours a day I do like to give him one extra cup for his breaks up there. If I shouldn’t do that then I’ll stop-
Just with how crazy he is up there I like to give him more fuel for his body.
He gets fed the Nutro Ultra large breed puppy food! He’s a picky boy and It’s one of the only foods he likes

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thank you for the replies! I can feel his ribs and hips without any pressure at all, and his waist indentation is good as well! My vet and boss said he’d most likely get to 90 or so, since he was a larger puppy-he had a big frame and massive paws- and his parent are bigger (I think the breeder said dad was 87 lbs and mom was 80 lbs). So I know he’s gonna be a bigger man.

I put him on the 4 cups a day because that’s what the internet said a 5 month old needed. I plan on cutting him back once he gets about 7 months. Once we hit warm weather here we’re gonna go swimming very often since I have a pool.

And the equation I found was from a random site, didn’t think it was reliable at all.
I really am trying to make sure he grows at a good rate, and isn’t too heavy or anything. But I’m a very active person and like to take him with me on my walks and to the daycare I work at.
When he goes to daycare for 8 hours a day I do like to give him one extra cup for his breaks up there. If I shouldn’t do that then I’ll stop-
He gets fed the Nutro Ultra large breed puppy food! He’s a picky boy and It’s one of the only foods he likes
You could try substituting that extra cup on his day care days with low calorie vegetables like unsalted tinned green beans, 1 small carrot or half a carrot.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Wow, that sounds like so, so much food, and he gets an extra cup at daycare! One of our trainers mentioned that if a dog is pooping like more than 4 times a day or something like that, he's getting too much food, meaning that it's just going in one end and out the other, so this might be something you just look out for. Our boy is the same age and just a few pounds lighter, and does not eat nearly as much. But he's nowhere near as active either. I'm very vigilant with his food intake, and after his first two months with us, I've been going by the old adage of "watching the dog, not the bowl." We also take the bag recommendations with a grain of salt. Our puppy hovers around 2.5 to 2.75 cups a day, more or less depending on how many treats and chews he gets that day. Our boy is a little fluffier though so he always looks bigger -- I swear 10 pounds of him is all fur. Haha.

I wonder though, and maybe others can chime in, is his projected weight going to be predetermined by genetics or how much food he's getting now? On all that food, he might continue to grow very rapidly and then just plateau earlier than anticipated, which I think if you look at other threads on this same topic, a lot of GR experts support slow growth to help their joints.

·
Vendor
Golden Retriever MATTIE!! 8 Years young and still thinks she is a pup!
28 Posts
Moose is looking like a very healthy young dog. As mentioned before, controlled growth is the key to ensuring they do not grow too big too soon as this will lead to premature joint issues down the road. 4 cups/day will be a good target and try to make sure Moose eats it slow! ( ya i know that won't be easy!). Keep the pictures coming, he is one handsome boy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay guy, here’s an edit on the info above...
I found out today that I somehow messed up Moose’s age- he is NOT about to be 6 months, he turns 5 months in 2 days.
I have no clue how I’ve been messing up his age 😳. Especially by a whole month. And I’ve even messed up on other things I’ve posted 😅
So he, at the moment, is 4 months and 4 weeks and (rounded to) 50 pounds now.
Born November 16th, 2020!
Sorry for the confusion of his age!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts