Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've been on the waiting list for a golden puppy from Sunkozi since November.
My puppy is gonna be from one of these planned litters:
Marble x Mojo- Breeding ~ April
Trix x Mojo- Breeding ~ May
Skye x ???-Breeding ~May
Phantom x Oakley - breeding ~ June

However, today I learned that some characteristics in Sunkozi dogs are not perfect. For instance, the Coefficient of Inbreeding (COI) of Mojo, Skye, and Trix are above 10% (for 12 generations). I'm also worried about hip dysplasia. Mojo and Skye's hips are fair, Marble's results are not available, and Phantom's hips are borderline (she should be tested again when older but not sure how, since she is planned to be bred in June).

On the other hand, I've never heard a complaint about Sunkozi, seems like people are pretty happy with them. Bev seems like a responsible breeder and says that her puppies are backed by a two-year written guarantee.
What do you think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see a number of red flags here. A few things I saw right away: As you mentioned, Marble lacks OFA hips and elbows (and so does her half-sibling). Skye has hips and elbows on OFA but her sire does not. Oakley’s dam isn’t even listed on OFA. Honestly, I didn’t bother looking any further, as I’d personally steer clear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just asked her about Marble's hips and elbows. Skye's sire is here on OFA. I don't know about Oakley's dam though, but I know that the breeder, stormynights, is reputable.
Bev answered my question about COI. She said she wouldn't base a breeding decision on a COI unless the dogs were highly inbred.

EDIT: I think the reason that Oakley's dam is not listed on OFA is that it was instead tested by OVC before 2010 as the breeder is Canadian. You can find the info here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oops, you’re correct about Skye’s sire — interestingly he has 2 separate OFA listings (one under his AKC # and one unde this CKC #). The one I was looking at before only has eyes but the other includes hips and elbows.

COI is just a tool, and there is no set % that would necessarily make or break a breeding decision.

Personally, I like to look at clearances at least 4 generations back, including siblings and half siblings (and even their offspring) of each dog that appears, to get a good picture of what’s going on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks :) As far as I can tell, most of Sunkozi's dogs have at least the hips/elbows clearances for the past 4 generations, with the newer generations having all of the clearances. I think the only concern I have is about Marble (no clearance uploaded to OFA) and Phantom (borderline hips). I'm waiting for Bev's response.

I don't know if I'm overthinking about the breeder or not. I'm a perfectionist first-time dog mom!
Scandal, one of Bev's retired females is in her 14s, and still living happily! But one of her males called Buzz passed away at 5 due to cancer. It's just so random! I don't want to lose my golden so early :(
Oops, you’re correct about Skye’s sire — interestingly he has 2 separate OFA listings (one under his AKC # and one unde this CKC #). The one I was looking at before only has eyes but the other includes hips and elbows.

COI is just a tool, and there is no set % that would necessarily make or break a breeding decision.

Personally, I like to look at clearances at least 4 generations back, including siblings and half siblings (and even their offspring) of each dog that appears, to get a good picture of what’s going on.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I don't know if I'm overthinking about the breeder or not. I'm a perfectionist first-time dog mom!
Scandal, one of Bev's retired females is in her 14s, and still living happily! But one of her males called Buzz passed away at 5 due to cancer. It's just so random! I don't want to lose my golden so early :(
Just as an aside, Buzz was not bred by Bev-looks like he was purchased as an addition to her breeding program. When looking at vertical pedigrees and longevity, I also try to suss out COD. While cancer of any kind is never good, I am most concerned about lymphoma and hemangiosarcoma, patterns and age at death. Some cancers seem to have less of an inherited component, while others do not.

If I see a pattern of early deaths with COD listed as kidney or renal related, for example, I’m concerned, even if it’s not cancer. If I see one grandparent on a vertical pedigree who died of hemangio at age 12, but the rest of the pedigree is relatively long lived (10.5+) I’m not as concerned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as an aside, Buzz was not bred by Bev-looks like he was purchased as an addition to her breeding program. When looking at vertical pedigrees and longevity, I also try to suss out COD. While cancer of any kind is never good, I am most concerned about lymphoma and hemangiosarcoma, patterns and age at death. Some cancers seem to have less of an inherited component, while others do not.

If I see a pattern of early deaths with COD listed as kidney or renal related, for example, I’m concerned, even if it’s not cancer. If I see one grandparent on a vertical pedigree who died of hemangio at age 12, but the rest of the pedigree is relatively long lived (10.5+) I’m not as concerned.
Thanks for the advice! I haven't seen any kidney or renal issues in her lines. Most of them died at +9 because of cancer (hemangioma, lymphoma, brain tumor, leukemia, stomach lining, etc.). I would say Buzz and one of his siblings were the only ones that died so young. But Buzz is the grandfather of many of her dogs. Fortunately, they haven't died because of cancer yet.

She answered my question about missing hips/elbows certificates in a well-explained email. In short, she said that the vet assured her that the hips preliminary result for Phantom was not correct because of positioning issues, and the preliminary results for Marble were good/normal. Bev said she is confident about her lines having normal hips/elbows. I trust her.
It's sad that cancer cannot be tested similar to hip dysplasia. So many adorable dogs die young because of it.

·
Waggy Tails
110 Posts
There are so many environmental factors with cancer. It’s just not all genetics. Lawn fertilizers, insecticides used inside and outside the home, your dog’s water source, whether you use candles & air freshening/fragrances, feeding from and keeping your dog’s food in plastic containers can all contribute to cancer, just to name a few things. It’s important to look at the lines your dog comes from, but what you do at home makes a difference, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts