Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
JE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I’ve been contacting a few breeders in South Florida and they all claim their goldens have hip, heart, eyes, and elbows clearances. Does this mean they are OFA certified?

The breeders I’ve contacted are all very reputable, but what’s the best way to confirm they are actually OFA certified?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
It should, yes. What you can do is get the registered names of the dam and sire, and then check them on the OFA website. Or, if you're still not sure, post the dam and sire here, and someone here can check for you. What you need to see is the elbow and hip clearances, the heart, done by a cardiologist, and then an eye certification within the past year (eyes are done yearly, and the breeder needs to send the result to OFA. Sometimes the breeder has had the eye test done, and just hasn't gotten them in to OFA, so you can alwasy ask if there is an out of date eye).

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
In reality the breeder should make it easy for you- you shouldn't need to do a lot of legwork, they should send you a link to the involved dogs' OFA pages. If you come up with registered names, post them and someone will do that legwork for you.
edit: and in the real world, no breeder should expect you to get excited about a litter without supplying you with the registered names, either. If they don't give you a link to the OFA pages the first exchange of info, ask immediately and ignore if you don't get a response w what you need to see. Look for cardiac clearances either starting w ACA or ending w C-VPI. P-VPI clearances are not adequate.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
If they are saying that, yes it should be on OFA. Sadly not everyone is honest or ethical. It is on you to verify all claims.

I have attached some visuals that might help.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts