Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Health clearance, please help

327 Views 6 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Hildae
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to the breed. We recently lost our German Shepherd and have decided on a Golden Retriever puppy for its sweet and calm temperament.

I'm in North California (Bay Area) . While looking, I contacted Prim's Golden from Anaheim in So.Cal. She had a puppy available and sent me the health screens for the parents. Unfortunately I have no idea what I'm looking at. Are those results good? I'm really nervous in making a mistake and not seeing something that is bad since I'm new to this breed.

Could anyone please take a look and let me know if these are good results for the parents?
Rose Pedigree: Rose Madison Prim was bred with Bailey
Pedigree: Erdoalji Blue Briliant

Thank you all so much in advance. My kids are so excited to get a puppy and I don't want to end up going through a health heartbreak in the future.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,145 Posts
Eyes are out of date and heart clearance is insufficient on the mom. Dad looks ok clearance wise but he appears to be an import from an area I wouldn't particularly want a dog from personally.

· Registered
2,145 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Could you please let me know what do you mean about mom's heart? Does it mean that she failed it?
No she didn't fail it, it's insufficient. It's a "P" rating meaning a general practice vet simply listened to her heart with a stethoscope and said it sounds ok. That isn't enough. It needs to be a cardiologist, and though an auscultation by a cardio is accepted, it really should be an echo. So it's up to you if you want to take that risk.

The eyes are as much an issue. Ask the breeder if they've been updated, perhaps they just haven't sent in the certificate.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So sorry I forgot to ask. You mentioned the country that dad is from and that you would not want a dog from there, have you had or heard of any bad experiences with dogs from that or similar countries?

· Registered
2,145 Posts
So sorry I forgot to ask. You mentioned the country that dad is from and that you would not want a dog from there, have you had or heard of any bad experiences with dogs from that or similar countries?
Imports from that part of the world have sometimes been problematic. It just not something I'd want to deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts