Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt this subject needed a new thread based on information I received today. For those of you who are concerned about your golden having head tremors as I am please read this. My girl KD has had head tremors on and off for 3 years. I took her to one vet and he had never heard of the problem offering no more than expensive MRI, etc. we only notice it q few times a year then it stopped. My research indicated it was idiopathic. I took her to another vet today and had some blood work done. KD Is about 12 pounds over weight and sleeps a lot but what dog doesn't sleep a lot so we didn't think of this as a problem, however she could sleep in my bed all day. Bottom line is the vet told us she has hypothyroidism and she has to be on medication the rest of her life. Thankfully it is not expensive. As soon as I got home I googled the condition and found it is very common in a few breeds of dogs, goldens being the first on the list. Symptoms include but are not limited to weight gain, lithargey and uncontrollable shaking. So I am cautiously optimistic the medication will be the answer to the tremors and help her feel better. I hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I've noticed thyroid tests are among the first recommendations to be done for a lots of different issues.

·
Golden Lover
50 Posts
Head Tremors

My girl has had two episodes...one two nights ago. She is lying down, not on her side but upright, and her head is rocking side to side, and shaking a bit. She is alert, but when she tries to get up, she is unsteady and goes back down. Within a few seconds she is fine, walking around like nothing happened. She is always hungry, and eats really, really fast, diving into her bowl as soon as I put the food down. Every time I walk into the kitchen or eat something she runs over like she is starving. She is a very lazy dog, but I took her for a long walk the day she had her last episode. She slept the rest of the day, and hours later when she went to bed this occurred. I never put this together and will call the vet to check this out. The last time it happened, I spoke to the vet and they thought it may have been some type of pain not a seizure, but I am not so sure. They told me to just wait and see if it happens again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts