Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first brought Cocasse home a month ago he was very much on the thin side. When you ran your hand along his body you could feel every rib, his eyes were dull and his coat very dry. In fact, the first comment I got from everyone who saw him was that he was too skinny.

A month later and you cannot feel any ribs except perhaps the last one. :uhoh: His eyes are very much alive now and his coat is soft. I have probably over-compensated and am starting to cut back on the amount of food he is getting.

I noted yesterday that his head looked small for his body. Is this because he is 14 months old and at that gangly stage? He seems long to me with long legs. (If I weren't such a plank when it comes to including pics I would add a few more that I have but I've read the "How To" section and still can't figure it out).

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
without pictures it's hard to say, but generally, if the head looks too small it's a case of the body having gotten too big ;)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
hmmm agree need pictures. Bu tyou should be able to feel ribs more than what you are saying. Might be a little overweight.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Is he neutered? If he was neutered at an early age, that may be the cause of him having a narrow head. If he is still intact, then is most likely is just genetics. How are mom and dad's heads?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I'm sure his head size is fine. I think sometimes we "study" our dogs every aspect.

I will say, that one way I know Lucky is overweight is when his head looks too small in proportion to his body. When he loses weight his head looks bigger.:)

·
Registered
850 Posts
You are doing fine with Cocasse. If you can feel his back ribs without pressing in, he is about the right weight. Out two pups are really tall and lanky too. I don't care that they are well outside the breed standard. Roxy was thin and her coat was thin when we adopted her. She looks great after four months of good food and care. When we visited our friends with two goldens, I thought they looked like miniatures compared to ours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts