Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dixie's Mom
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read lots of good recommendations about head halters for dogs but is it really worth $20? And does it REALLY help with leash training? My 8 month old, Dixie does pretty well but 50% of the time she's dragging me down the street. She had been doing REALLY well until she turned 6 months. Since then, I've had a lot of trouble controlling her on our walks. I've tried treats, and stopping until she stops pulling.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Personally, I like them, but it does not help with training. The minute the head collars are off the dog, they right back to pulling.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Well back in the day when I had no kids and my dog had all of my attention, I did the reverse the direction method. If Sally pulled, I would go the other way. The idea was for her to understand that she didn't go forward unless the leash was slack. We had many walks where forward progress was minimal. But she became an awesome leash walker...
look at the website 01 VeterinaryPartner Home Page - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!, there is an excellent "hand out" on loose leash walking. Dogs pull because they learn to pull. It is an oppositional reflex. My Tiki who never had to be on leash, never learned to pull....

Reactions: Megora and Burd

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We used the Gentle Leader head collar, but it didn't help with pulling on one of our dogs and he developed dents in the bridge of his muzzle. We switched to the Gentle Leader Easy Walk harness booklady mentioned and it works much better for him. Our other dog did great with a Gentle Leader, but as he aged he developed spondylitis and we switched successfully to loose leash walking.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
We are using the gentle leader halter on Remy and love it. He has started walking better with a normal neck collar as well... it's strange how it's worked out. The gentle leader seems to have taught him that ultimately we have control and he's accepting that a lot better. I'd recommend it!

Reactions: Burd

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sam uses Gentle Leader head collar as well, he knows he can't pull me anywhere once it is on him. However, when we are not using the head collar, he still would pull some times. It's just a product helping you but not really a training tool.

·
Dixie's Mom
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sam uses Gentle Leader head collar as well, he knows he can't pull me anywhere once it is on him. However, when we are not using the head collar, he still would pull some times. It's just a product helping you but not really a training tool.
That's one of the reasons I wasn't sure if I should get it or not. I was afraid she may think she can start pulling as soon as it's off.

Which one is better? Gentle Leader? Or Halti?

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's one of the reasons I wasn't sure if I should get it or not. I was afraid she may think she can start pulling as soon as it's off.

Which one is better? Gentle Leader? Or Halti?

It's just called different name, they are both the same type of product. There's a dvd comes with Gentle Leader with some training tips, that definitely help for the first time use.

Again, it is a product to help you train the dog, and kinda work like a 'quick fix'. However, don't rely on it, proper training is still the way to go for permanency.

·
Dixie's Mom
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's just called different name, they are both the same type of product. There's a dvd comes with Gentle Leader with some training tips, that definitely help for the first time use.

Again, it is a product to help you train the dog, and kinda work like a 'quick fix'. However, don't rely on it, proper training is still the way to go for permanency.
Okay, thanks so much again! I've been wanting one to help her pay more attention to me, so I'll be able to work with her more. I'm just having trouble leash training her so I was looking for something to 'help' just a bit. :)

THANK YOU!:wave:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If you do get a Gentle Leader, I would really recommend getting one from a store that has some knowledgeable staff that will show you how to put it on and make sure the size is correct. It isn't difficult, but it is nice to have someone there to help. The video will show you too if you need future reference.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We bought a gentle leader headcollar for Murphy on the weekend since he's just recently started pulling really badly (must be a 6 months thing haha) and its been a dream so far, walking him is so so much more enjoyable. We still leave his harness on as well in case we need to grab ahold of him with something a bit more sturdy, and also so he stays used to wearing it so eventually we can take the gentle leader off and he'll (hopefully) still walk well on his leash :)

Reactions: Burd

·
Dixie's Mom
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We bought a gentle leader headcollar for Murphy on the weekend since he's just recently started pulling really badly (must be a 6 months thing haha) and its been a dream so far, walking him is so so much more enjoyable. We still leave his harness on as well in case we need to grab ahold of him with something a bit more sturdy, and also so he stays used to wearing it so eventually we can take the gentle leader off and he'll (hopefully) still walk well on his leash :)
Must be! XD Thanks for sharing your experience with the gentle leader!
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts