Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! my puppy came home yesterday, and my question is about the food, because I am feeding him 4 times a day with 1/2 cup of the food that gave me the vet, I put the food on his plate and a bit of water so the food go softer, he ate everything and it seems like he wants more, is this okay? should I gave him a bit more of food or every puppy does this?. I don't know why but he goes crazy for food!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Is your ticker wrong or is your puppy really only 6 weeks old? That's way to young to be separated from his mother and siblings. He should be with them for another 2 weeks at least.
And to answer your question, my dogs could eat a whole bag of dog food and ask for more. What kind of food is he eating?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I have found that with a golden retriever, how hungry you dog 'seems' is a bad way to judge how hungry he actually 'is.' Rookie would eat non-stop if I let him. He always finishes his bowl and looks around for more.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
The amount sounds about right for a pup his age. When Hank was that age he was only eating 1/2 c. 3 Xs day. Amount also depends on brand of food. Premium brands have less filler and more nutrition.

As for the too young comment, I got a lot of those too. Hank was only
5 1/2 weeks when he was given to me. Wasn't my choice and not sure why the breeder let him, as well as his littermates, go so early. Hank did just fine, he's almost 3 mos. (tomorrow), he's growing, close to 25 lbs., well socialized, pretty well housebroke and knows simple commands. Honestly, I've never had a puppy come into my home older than 6 weeks.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
They always seem starving, don't give him any more.
There's no reason to feed 4 x a day. Three at most.
When Slater came home he was on 2 x a day. (7 1/2 wks)

·
Registered
869 Posts
We just brought home a puppy last week. He gets 1/2 cup 3x a day. You don't want them to gain more than 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts