Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to my dads for tea...he has a female, intact 14yr old collie cross. I went in with the kids when we got there and OH took Chester out for a quick run around my dads field.
10 mins later Chester came bouncing in with full on drool curtains making a beeline for my dads dogs bum. Normally she would snap at him but nooooo, tail goes to the side and shes backing up!

Then my dad goes..."oh...shes been on heat all week" and then laughs! :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I spoke to him last night and he never muttered a word..and he knew we were taking Chester with us today!

Eventually he decided it would be maybe best if he put her in the bedroom for the day...after me and OH keeping them apart (luckily Chester was well answering) and saying it was NEVER going happen. But it didn't stop him mentioning a few times how it would be nice to have a Chester pup as he knows his dog is getting old!

And yes I did tell him that A she is fair too old and B chester is twice her size and if the pregancy itself didn't kill her trying to give birth to pups that size would! (not to mention health testing, cost of litters etc...just because we choose to keep him intire does not mean we will breed!!)

I just cant believe it actually crossed his mind....livid doesn't come close to how I was feeling!!!!!

Rant over...breath!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Wow. Poor Chester for having to be around a female in heat, it had to be very hard on him. And your dad? What in the world was he thinking? I doubt at her age that she would get pregnant, but if she did, I would think it would definitely kill her!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
So, why is dad's collie cross not spayed? Just asking. Just thinking it is taking a risk having an intact female that is obviously not being bred. Well, should not be bred anyway. The risk of pyometra increases with age,as well as mammary cancer.
And yes, it is not my business, I know. I tried to delete this post to not get everybody up in arms, but darn, I don't know how to delete this, it won't let me. :)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh my, that poor old girl. I would sure get her to a vet as I'm afraid a pregnancy could kill her.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
So, why is dad's collie cross not spayed? Just asking. Just thinking it is taking a risk having an intact female that is obviously not being bred. Well, should not be bred anyway. The risk of pyometra increases with age,as well as mammary cancer.
And yes, it is not my business, I know. I tried to delete this post to not get everybody up in arms, but darn, I don't know how to delete this, it won't let me. :)
If you want to delete it, you can edit the post and just delete all the text, replace it with something else.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its ok to ask! :)
I think hes just from a generation that just never did it. They ( being him and my grandparents) have always kept their dogs/bitches intact...and only had a few litters in total (80yrs) , no problems with pyometra, always had very small litters and managed to find homes for the pups with local farmers/neighbours (beef/dairy farmers..not puppy!) . We live on a small farming community island and unfortunatly this does seem to be the general chain of thought. Most people here prefere to get their family pups from farmers/shooters who work their dogs and decide to have a litter to replace their own..kitchen litters I guess. Unless they are looking for a certain type of dog and have a lot of spare cash then they will take the long trip south and go to a breeder (bearing in mind we are 1 very rough boat trip plus 300+ miles away from any where let alone a good breeder!! lol)

Its no excuss I know..and have tried many times in the past to get her spayed but with no success! I even offered to get her done when we took our last dog and cat to get neutered with no joy :( but he's never experienced the down side of this so doesn't feel the need to change his views.
I feel its too late now to get her spayed....age is taking its toll on her rapidly and I doubt she would make it through the surgery.

Theres no need for the morning after pill...Chesters nose was the only part of him that got that close to her...we were there the whole time they were in a room together.NO mating took place. we called him away from her, he came and sat beside us.

Chester wasn't that bad the rest of the day, I've seen worse!.....just inhaled the carpet but he did settle. He wasn't pacing and panting like I've seen some boys do with a bitch on heat around Just made it his mission to sniff EVERY avaliable inch of the carpet/furniture etc! and every now and again sit at the door longingly hoping one of us would be so kind as to let her back in...NOT happening! lol

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Your title says "he did it again" what did he do the first time?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your title says "he did it again" what did he do the first time?
I was that mad last night I forgot to say!!!!

Many years ago he did the same with my old dog loki...knew we were coming over with our dog, his dogs litter mate and never mentioned before hand that she was on heat! NO mating happened though. we eventually had Loki neutered at 6yrs old as we were going over there quite regulary at the time and had had enough.

I might add that she has gotten caught out twice in her life time by one of the local random farm dogs when he'd let her out for a pee and didn't keep watch over her. Thankfully both times everthing went smoothly and all the pups went to good homes but I've lost count of the times he's complained to me about the local farm dogs sniffing about his house when shes been on heat and I've told him if he got her spayed that would be it..never again would he have to worry about it!!! COMPLETELY FRUSTRAIGHTING!!!

I thought he had changed as the last tme she was on heat he did say so we could leave Chester at home.....god knows what he was thinking this time!!!

Holy....thats me ranting agian. Must get off my soap box!
I can only hope that IF he decides to get another dog once his has gone, he will go for a rescue that has already been done. :crossfing I might go on the "do you really want to go through the whole puppy stage again at your age" angle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts