Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looked like Duke had stopped eating poop alltogether,I was soooo happy!
But today,I let him out on to our terrace to do his buisness and even though my husband and son were out there,he managed to escape!:doh:
Yes..there are 5 people in this house,and it seems that if Im not wathcing the kids,the dogs etc,something happens.Im SO angry about this!!!

Duke has had his first round of shots,and I have been making a point of not letting him near our "outside" dogs yet,or even outside our terrace because we have peacocks,doves,chickens (we live on a farm,so you get the idea).I was trying to keep him away from all of that until his shots are complete.Its not that hard right? Someone has to watch him whilst he pees or poops and then let him back inside..period! and our terrace has a gate!

Anyway,I was went to the bathroom,and when I went back outside to fetch Duke,no one knew where he was!:mad:
Turns out he had ran to our German sheppard outside,and he had not only eaten some of his kibble,but he also had some peacock poop as a snack!
I quickly wiped out his mouth with a babywipe..it was stuck to the sides of his tounge and the roof of his mouth etc..I swear that peacocks poop is like GLUE! :--sitnky:

Well,now Im WORRIED! What do I do? Should I take him to the vet? Just watch him? Will he get worms or something worse? Should I keep him away from my toddler now? :--appalled:

Im SO stressed about this :--sad:

·
16,000 Posts
Have him send his resume' to NBC? ;)

I wouldn't worry. Having birds and other farm animals, having fecals checked regularly and following a good worming protocal (Panacur Granules every 4 months is my favorite) should be part of his regular care.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have him send his resume' to NBC? ;)
lol I swear that having this pup is exactly like having another toddler to run around after!
Im either running around after my human toddler or running around after Duke..Im POOPED! They both get into trouble the moment I turn my head.

I really dont like wiping poop out of his mouth though,it puts me off of my food :yuck: :p:

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Oh LOL I hate to laugh but it was a pretty funny visual to think of him running and eating that poo ;) I think he will probably be fine... they had geese at our breeders home, and at 8 weeks when we got Oscar, he had definitely eaten some goose poo from the yard!!! :yuck::yuck: He even grabbed one on our way to the car... :doh:

Oscar did end up having both coccidia and tapeworm... but those were both fairly straightforward to diagnose and treat by the vet. I'm not sure if either issues were related to the goose poop. He has also eaten at least 1... and a half... dead mice !!!!! :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck: !!!!! so the vet said that could have been the source of the tapeworm.

I think you're right to have him avoid eating poo as a general rule though, whether or not he has his shots completed. And yup it is gross! :p:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
He'll probably be fine. Hank & I went for a walk on our property recently, he found some nice, fresh deer poop and scarfed up some before I even noticed. When we first brought him home he was lying in the grass munching on what I thought was bark, so I walked over to take it from him...no, it was a dead bird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts