Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the ILs over for a fish fry last night. Sherman got a corn cob. No idea what size (some were full sized and some were half sized) or how, but after vomiting an enormous amount of liquid twice, in the second vomit there was a chunk of corn cob. He is still lethargic and doesn't want food or water.

I'm thinking trip to ER to rule out blockage. DH thinks I'm overreacting.

Thoughts? TIA.
 

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
Joined
·
3,380 Posts
I know my BIL's dog swallowed corn cobs twice and had to have surgery both times. I would at least check with an ER vet.

Please let us know how you make out. Keeping you and Sherman in our thoughts. Hoping it is not too serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,937 Posts
My heart dog, Sally swallowed a corn cob in July. On Labor day, she vomited the whole thing up!!!!!.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
Joined
·
37,489 Posts
My boy Caue ate one once and it passed. Of course he didn't show any signs of discomfort either. Since your boy is lethargic a trip to the ER vet is mandatory. So sorry. Please keep us posted.
 

·
Nancy
Joined
·
7,493 Posts
IMO, a trip to the ER is in order. If he was acting normal, maybe a wait & see. But considering his symptoms, I'd go tonight.

Rather safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts
they can do real damage..... make sure you take him to the e.r. i had to take moose because he ate 2 of them and they induced vomiting. then they had to show me how much he ate!!! it was really about 3 or 4 of them. please take him to the vet now as soon as possible, don't wait. it could be tragic.
beth, moose and angel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all--he's in surgery now. It was a textbook blockage, heart rate was elevated and stomach was hard as a rock. The xrays (side view) showed the cob wedged in there good. He vomited a third time at home and a fourth time at the vet. So my Mastercard is melting, but I know I did the right thing.

They're going to call me after surgery...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
So sorry! I'm glad you are taking such good care of him. We had a corn cob scare a few years back. The girls just love them, so I have to be ridiculously vigilant! We have chickens who want to clean up the cobs, so we have to count them and then pick them all up before the dogs go outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,889 Posts
I'm so glad you got your dog straight to the vet and didn't wait! As soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew you could be in big trouble, so you can imagine how relieved I am to find he's already at the vet.

We have a walk near to us which is next to a field which grows corn. The foxes obviously go and take some, leaving the husks lying in the grass. I've had to extract them many times from the dogs mouths!

I hope he is now on the way to recovery and applaud you for acting so quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'm still waiting to hear post-op and worrying/wondering why it is taking so long. He was SO sick.

DH says we're never having corn on the cob in the house again. I think that sounds about right.

On the bright side, between his new diet and all the vomiting, he's down 10 lbs. So he's only got about 8-9 more to go until his goal weight. That's something, right? I'm trying to be positive...
 

·
gone
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Had some people over the other day and they were talking about corn cobs and their experience with dogs eating them.... now they are way up on my list along with chicken bones that get disposed of right away.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top