Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple of days ago that Hazel was acting a little mopey at times. I checked her......nether region....and it was swollen and there was some blood around it and on her tail feathers.

We are going to Charleston, SC for a couple of days and we are having her stay at one of her instructors house. She boards dogs...Hazel will be the only one....plus she has four of her own dogs. Luckily, the males have all been fixed. The instructor said that if she wasn't having lady time she would be able to play more and not be in the kennel as much. She suggested getting some type of diaper/panty for her.

Do you guys have any suggestions in what to get?

I would like to start using it now so by Friday she'll hopefully be used to it some before we drop her off.

Thanks for any tips!!

Mike & Hazel

·
Registered
425 Posts
To be completely honest, I wouldn't leave my girl with anyone except my husband while in season. That is just my personal choice, and I understand that it may not be an option for you. My reason is that it only takes a second of carelessness to have a girl in heat take off and find a boyfriend, or worse, run across a busy street in search of a boy and get hit by a car. Do you have any flexibility in your schedule? If not, do you trust this person (and everyone who lives there) completely??? Does this person have experience with girls in heat? Are there children in the house who could open the door without thinking? What is the property like? Think carefully about any possible ways she could get out or a dog could get in to her before deciding to leave her there.
When Maya was in heat, we used men's (small) underwear with a pantyliner. This is MUCH cheaper than buying the doggie diapers they sell and it worked well for us. Some girls bleed more than others, so what works for her will depend on how heavy her bleeding is. I wish you all the best and hope things work out well. :crossfing

·
Registered
425 Posts
I forgot to add that I have heard that if any of the boys have been neutered recently, they could still get her pregnant.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I do trust the person that Hazel is staying with. Thanks for the idea of men's underwear with a panty liner!

·
Owned by Emma
727 Posts
I bought baby diapers for Emma(for excellent hygiene, planned to change her very often) , cut a hole for the tail and took me a long time to put them on safely (so I have thought) It took her 2 seconds to remove them! So don't try these, men's underwear is indeed better.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
getting her spayed would be a perfect solution...

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
There could be medical reasons for why the bitch isn't spayed yet. I'm sure that the OP probably intends on spaying her dog after she's done with her heat cycle. Or maybe not, I don't know! :p:

·
Owned by Emma
727 Posts

Spaying is not a solution for a very young bitch and the OP stated that. Also have you considered that show dogs cannot be spayed?

spaying/neutering should be done only after 18 months, or even after 24 if possible. Not mating the dog before that is common sense.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up buying a diaper thingy from Petsmart...along with some liners. It was a little more expensive but it worked like a charm. She tries to roll on the floor and against the couch and it stays on with no problem.

As far as getting Hazel spayed that's not an option right now due to the fact that we are waiting for her to fill out before showing her in the fall.

I'll try to post a picture later today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts