Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey was spayed on Wednesday morning and came home around 6pm. She was a little loopy and uncomfortable but fortunately she was able to eat and hold down her pain pill. Thursday morning she was feeling a lot better, and now last night and this morning it is darn near impossible to keep her from jumping! No more pain meds for her, she obviously isn't hurting. She is desperately trying to run around like her normal self. Her incision looks great, and the discharge instructions were to avoid stairs, jumping, running, and playing for 7 days. They know she has to do some stairs (front porch) and are okay with that, slowly, on leash. I even put my old Firm aerobic step at the front door to make that stoop a little lower. She is on leash anytime she is out of the crate. We try to give her as much time as possible when we are home out of the crate, on leash, to lay on our laps (in the floor) and remove her cone so she can chew on her bones. Mental stimulation, training. Doing it all.

But man, it's getting REALLY hard to keep her calm. When she went out this morning to pee, she was crazy jumping on her leash (just from the energy) and pulling. I finally had to give up and carry her in which is hard at 6 months... and annoying because she didn't poop. So now she will have go back out to do that, another trip on the steps that could have been avoided...

I'm not a fan of drugging something unnecessarily, but I am beginning to think a mild sedative may be necessary. So far her incision looks great, but I am more concerned about the internal parts....

I know I'm not the first one with a rambunctious Golden Retriever puppy LOL....so does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'll be calling the vet when they open! Thanks in advance!

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give her the pain meds so she sleeps. Worth it to avoid tearing stitches.
Thank you... that's the only reason I gave it to her yesterday evening, but unfortunately it doesn't make her sleepy either. With day 4 and 5 of her recovery being Sunday and Monday (holiday) I am a little nervous she will mess something up. I assure you we are doing all we can to keep her calm, but this calm is not in her vocabulary. She's the happiest, most playful dog we've ever had. LOL

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Pain pills never kept Chloe sleepy. She was back to her normal self the next day. It was so hard. We actually got a sedative and used it a couple times. A puppy who cant play won't sleep at night. So we used it a couple times at night. Just do your best and try not to freak out to much.

·
Wendy
864 Posts
My Nala is not a Golden, but she can jump anything! She would have nothing to do with a crate ever, so I would tie her close by and away from anything she could jump. I'd put a blanket on the floor, with toys etc and that worked for her. The jumping with a leash on, is a little harder to deal with. I wonder if you tried her with a halti, which controls the head, would work? Although most dogs don't like it and want to get it off, it might be worth a try.

The first few days are the most stressful and I remember looking at her incision site constantly. Hope she settles down for you, so you can enjoy your weeken!

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I feel for you. It is the hardest two weeks. But in the grand scheme of their life, it's a blip - and worth it to keep them quiet . It's not just the stitches and the wound - their insides need to heal. It's a major surgery for the girls.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Leash, bones, training, crate. Anything to try to keep her quieter. By the end of the two weeks, Shala was pretty much swinging from the chandeliers. She was ready to jump out of her skin. Hang in there..

Reactions: BaileyzMom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts