Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One of the first members!
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sooooooooo nervous, :eek: Aimé is having her puppies before the end of April. I've bought two books about goldens (and read them!), I've read articles on the internet, I've asked my vet, ... they all say different things. Joan says he had a dog that had 12 puppies and she did it all by herself but one of them died. Some say you should be there just in case the mother needs you, how do you know that she needs you? Some say not to help or else you can cause the puppie to have hip displasia, or you can cause the mother to hate it because it doesn't smell as it should... That the mother should not eat, but if she needs to she should drink a coffee with milk and lots of sugar and two whipped eggs! (I swear to you I read this, I'll see if I find where!).
So I'm asking all my already friends in this wonderful forum: WHAT WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE? What is the correct attitude? What works best?

I'll love to read your experiences and I'm sure they will help me the best, thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Birth (whelping) - Kia's story

Hi Aime,
I know exactly how you feel!!! We went through this worrying just a couple weeks ago. Before we started worrying about the birth, we were worrying whether Kia is actually pregnant (false pregnancies with all the signs of pregnancy is common) - then about 1 and 1/2 weeks before the due date we felt the puppies kicking in her belly, so yes, she was pregnant!!!
Even though we read lots of books and articles on the net about birth and whelping and were very scared! :eek:

She actually had the puppies on the 60th day after mating (usually it is said to be no later than the 64 th day) - probably because it was Sunday and we could all be with her... . Kia started to "nest" about a week before. About 24 hours before the birth (she knew it's coming) she wanted to be in our bedroom all the time (she probably felt most safe there - she usually slept next to our bed) - at night she actually jumped on the bed and slept there, didn't want to move away (tried to push me off :D ). We think she wanted to have the puppies right on our bed!!!

We had to drag her out of the bedroom in the morning and needless to say she was annoyed with us for destroying her plans.:mad: For the rest of the day she was pacing, checking out whether bedroom door is still closed, and lying down, hardly ever sleeping... Then at 3:45 pm she went into our bath tub and we went to see what's going on - some of her water came out. There was a whelping area prepared for her, so we called her over there and stayed there with her - you could see that's something's going on, she was a bit nervous, restless, and didn't eat or drink (this counts as stage one of the birth and should not last more than 36 hours) - there we waited couple of hours and after even more water came out and she started to have contractions. This lasted about an hour before the contractions were intense (you can see the entire abdomen and back muscles moving). The first birth was really difficult for her - she was standing up and lying down, and straining for a little while before we could see the first puppy coming out. Unfortunately, it took very long time for it to come out and it was born dead (still birth) at 6:20 pm. It was really hard and sad and we were worried about the other pups. She did everything right - she knew right away what to do, but did not pay attention to licking off the membrane first (the pups are born in something like a sac which is made of thin membrane), so I tore the membrane open. Kia then licked the rest off, bit off the umbilical cord and started to lick the puppy... Unfortunately, all of our efforts to revive the puppy failed.
In about 30 minutes after this she sharted to have contractions again, but she did not strain as much as with the first birth. She was just lying down and couple minutes after the contractions intensified, the second puppy was born at 7:15 pm and we knew this one is alive because it was actually moving as she was pushing it out. Everything just proceeded much faster. Again I helped to tear the membrane open (because she started eating the placenta or afterbirth first) and then she completely took over and took care of everything herself. She did not mind our presence or help whatsoever (might be different with other dogs).
We were so incredibly happy and excited when this second puppy was born completely healthy. She was very calm. In couple minutes after she cleaned everything, she rested a little and then she started to have contractions again and another healthy and moving puppy was born at 7:50 pm. Again I helped with the membrane since she did not pay attention to it at first and we were worried that the puppy would suffocate, so I tore it open and Kia started licking it off, severed the umbilical cord, cleaned the puppy (meanwhile the first pup was trying to feed already). At 8:10 pm and 8:30 pm two more pups were born and everything went well - she did not visibly strain during those 4 births, they happened very fast. After the 4th one was born, she had light contractions again, but they did not intensify and the last birth was at 9:10 pm, but unfortunately, the last puppy was not moving and breathing and was another still birth. No reviving helped. The vet said this is pretty normal, even though very sad of course.

In summary, Kia naturally knew how to do everything. She constantly licked them and took care of them all. The first couple of days she was with them all the time and was very reluctant to go outside to pee and poop, and when we took her out, she just did what she needed to do in the shortest time possible and was pulling us home to take care of the puppies. It has been really incredible to witness all of this and especially how wonderful she has been through the entire process.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In addition to previous - isn't it incredible that she went to the bath tub to break he water? Really, she is so considerable (it happened before that she really needed to pee and we didn't read the signs, so she went to the bath tub and didi it there) :D.

I think it is important to weigh the puppies, so you can monitor whether they are gaining weight.

Here are weight measurements for our pups:

March 20, 2005 (day of birth):
1st puppy: 480 g
2nd puppy: 360 g
3rd puppy: 380 g
4th puppy: 350 g

March 21, 2005:
1st puppy: 540 g
2nd puppy: 440 g
3rd puppy: 480 g
4th puppy: 420 g

March 22, 2005:
1st puppy: 620 g
2nd puppy: 560 g
3rd puppy: 580 g
4th puppy: 520 g

March 23, 2005:
1st puppy: 700 g
2nd puppy: 620 g
3rd puppy: 620 g
4th puppy: 620 g

On April 9, 2004 we were at the veterinary office for deworming of puppies and Kia, and the first 2 pups weighed 2.5 KG and 2 last pups 2.4 KG :eek:.

·
One of the first members!
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you soooooo much Vierka, I'm printing your messages so I don't miss any of your recomendations. Some of the behavours you describe I'm noticing too, so I'll pay more attention to them, thanks for writing so long and clearly, I'm sure it'll be of much help.
Thanks again!
Diana

·
Registered
256 Posts
No problemo

Hi Diana, it's no problem at all!
I know that reading all the books and articles still will not completely prepare you - I didn't feel prepared at all! So I though this will make it little more approachable from a not so very experienced breeder. Every dog is individual though, so I only wish you at least as much luck as we have had and even more! I have read and heard that Goldens usually have larger number of puppies (depends on the quality of the sperm as well), so I'm interested to learn as to how many will Aime have... How many times did she mate?
Please let me know if you have any questions or need any help!
We're thinking of you and Aime!
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
we just had a beautiful litter of 8 pups. Willow did great! She woke us up to let us know baby#1 was here at 645 am, by 11 am we had 8 babies. I watched every video on birthing I could. i was not ready for how thick the membrane was gonna be. BUT other than that it was a great experience. She is a great mom. Who knows if we will do it again with her, BUT I am so proud of her.
Some of the things you read are just crazy!! I had read to chew tums and spit them in her mouth! That was not gonna happen ... half way thru though she did want to walk around, we were with her and did not let her go out!
Hugs to you and your babies.....
Lisa,willow and 8 perfect babies.

·
Cedar's Mom
851 Posts
Years ago, our first golden had pups & we had no clue what to do. A day or so before we thought she was due we got a large appliance box to use as a whelping box & cut an end out of it, leaving a lower lip on it so Lady could step out but new pups would be contained (and wrote "LADY" on the box, like she could read - LOL). We put clean, old bedding and towels in it and as soon as we did, Lady went in the box, layed down, and wouldn't come out - she somehow knew it was for her and why (maybe she COULD read . . . ). The next day she had her pups in there, only 3, but she somehow knew what she was doing. Your girl will probably know what she's doing too - just be there, help if needed, and have your vet's number on speed-dial! Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts