Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I’m kind of frustrated not gonna lie! Even though Nova is only 5 months, she’s been having accidents lately in the past week (I’ve had her for a month now). She’s always slept all night without needing to pee from 9pm-6am, but lately she has been having accidents (pee AND poop!!) in her space for the past 4 days in a row…

I stopped putting her in her crate during the day (only at night) a couple weeks ago, instead she has her enclosed space to herself (idk how many sq ft but its about the size of 2 small bathrooms), equipped with gates so she can’t get out. The crate is still there with the door open but she prefers to sleep on her dog bed during the day. The thing is, she only seems to have these accidents in the morning. Today i put her in her space from 730-1030, she slept the whole time, did not whine to be let out to pee and instead peed in the corner. It seems to be always that same spot, I’ve already drowned that area in Nature’s miracle and mopped it.

I’m kind of at a loss here and getting frustrated because I have a couple weeks before I go back to my proper work schedule. I do shift work so she will only be home alone for an extended period really 1-2 days a week and someone will be home at lunch time to take her out and for a walk. She should be able to hold it till then… I would hate to have her crated from 7-1230ish since that seems too long. She does great in her crate for 3 hours max, I dont like to have her trapped in there for too long. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated 😭😭😭

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I’m thinking her space might be too big for her when she’s alone… I’ve ordered another gate and I might try halfing that space so its the size of a pantry room instead.

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
Crating isn't mean. She needs to be in a space that is too small for her to pee/poop in one area and not lie down in it. That's why crate training works. She has too much space - so she's using it. Exercise her before you go to work, make sure she has a chance to go to the bathroom RIGHT before you put her in the crate and leave. If you are worried about the 5.5 hours, have someone come in halfway through and take her out. But the crate is your answer. It needs to be big enough for her to walk in, turn around, and lie down. If she gets to work off some energy before you go to work, she'll likely sleep most of the time you are gone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dogs earn unsupervised, crate-free time by demonstrating that they are toilet trained and do not chew inappropriately or get into things they shouldn't. Your puppy is telling you that she's not ready for the freedom you've given her. She's still a baby. Set her up for success by crating her when you cannot supervise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts