Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been almost a week since we had to put our sweet boy Bruce to sleep. I got a call from the vet the other day with his lab results that confirmed Bruce's cancer diagnosis was Histiocysticsarcoma. From what I learned, this cancer is very aggressive which breaks my heart knowing he was that sick but didn't show signs until the end.

How do you learn to cope with a loss of your Golden? I'm having a hard time living day to day without seeing him. Thinking about the happy times makes me sad because he's not here with me.

-Distraught in California

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about what you and Bruce have been through:(

A part of the sinister nature of the disease is that it has an effect on the family too so don't feel guilty for something that you had no idea of knowing about. This is easier said than done. Unfortunately we can't always wrap them up in cotton wool and it can happen to any of us. It is especially hard when they have been ill and you have invested extra time to nurture them and all of a sudden they are gone. It is all the firsts that are the hardest and there is no way to avoid them.

Give yourself time. Go on a holiday if you can to break your usual routines.

Know that Bruce is in a far better place and is free the hardships and boredom of Earth. He obviously fulfilled his mission in life so celebrate him. He would not want you to be sad. If he could what would he say to you right now?
I think that he would want you to be good to yourself.

Good luck and best wishes!!

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
Sorry you are having such a hard time missing Bruce. You need time to accept. When you love deeply, you hurt deeply. It is very painful and although you will always love and miss your boy it does get easier. People have different coping strategies, many will probably give some good advice here. All I know is it is the most painful experience to go through and the void they leave is immense. Eventually time does heal as you get to accept their passing but you never, ever stop loving them. My Meg has been gone 4 yrs and today would have been her birthday. I can think of her and while sad I feel very grateful to have had her in my life. She was a great girl and I am a better person for having known her.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
So very sorry for your heartache and very tragic loss. His illness came on so suddenly that I'm sure you're still in shock and your loss was so recent. Goldens are a very stoic breed. It is not unusual for them to be very sick, before we pick up on their illness. Wish there was something that I could say to lessen your pain, but grieving a great love takes time. We lost our Di 5/21/11 and Golda 4/7/07. The memories still bring tears, but as time passes the memories bring more smiles than tears. Hugs to you at this terribly sad time.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I am sorry you are missing Bruce so deeply. Time will help turn the emptiness back to fond memories, but the only way I know of to get through grief is to live through it - it does get easier and eventually a day will go by when a memory brings a smile and you will be able to say Bruce's name without a catch in your throat. You will always love and miss him, but know you did your very best by him.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We lost our family girl (non golden) last month. The whole she has left in our family is huge. I let myself grieve, cried more than I thought I could. Pretty much was miserable for the first few weeks. Then tried to look towards a new time, to wonder how Millie would have liked this and that..like she was just gone away for a while. This past weekend, I decided it was time and removed her pictures on the wall to the closet, her special toys were put in a box. I felt I needed to remove sad feelings and the evidence of her life. May be a bit nuts, but feel there will be a time to bring it all out and relieve all the wonderful 16 yrs, but not now.

Everyone must grieve and in each it is different. Cry if you need, shout and blame the world, but in the end your babe had a wonderful life, he was loved and loved you in return all he could. Our dogs hold a special place in our hearts that is private and will never leave. He is there for you in your heart. He would want you to go on, to look to another boy/girl to be your buddy. When you are ready you will see, Bruce will always be with you only it will feel good to remember and bring no pain.

I wish I could tell you the magic thing to make the hurt lessen, but there are no words for this. I give you a cyber hug instead.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Sorry for your loss. It is particularly tough the first week or two.

This may not be for you at this time, but I knew I wanted to adopt a dog from a rescue shelter whenever my golden left me. So many dogs that need homes. Anyway, I wasn't planning to adopt one so soon after my golden's passing but my nephew told me about a rescue group in his area and I decided to check it out. Low and behold there was a black lab mix that looked like a perfect match for me. I went ahead and adopted him and he truly helped in getting me through that difficult period. I adopted him just 2-3 weeks after my golden's death.

Some might think that is just too soon. And it may be for you. But it's something to think about. The way I look at it, I had a void in my life and Micah(lab) needed a home. I haven't forgotten my old golden retriever. Never will.

Best of luck to you during this difficult time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sending you great big hugs from Japan.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm sorry for what you are going through, many/most of us have experienced the loss of our pet and it does leave a hole in our hearts and lives. Time will lessen the sadness and those last, sad days will retreat allowing the good memories to surface again. The time with our pets is way too short but so worth it.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
I'm so sorry. And I wish, as everyone here probably does, that there was some magic way to make the pain go away. I'm not sure it ever really does. So all we can do is seek comfort in each other - and we are here for you. We understand.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,607 Posts
When we lost our boy- soon to be a year next month, we were basically numb and just going through the motions for several days, weeks really. We took each day one at a time. Our house and lives were so different, so empty.

The pain and loss is so deep and so raw, as others have said, I don't think you ever really get over them no longer being with you. As time goes by, before you know it, you find yourself able to talk about them, remembering the fun times, the silly things they did, and you start smiling again.

A day hasn't gone by that we haven't thought about our boy, missed him and wish he was still with us. We know he's a the bridge, pain free and running and enjoying life like he did in his younger days.

One day we will be together again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I totally understand your suffering. I too, lost my heart girl in Sept. from cancer. It was so aggressive that we only had a weeks notice that she was so sick. It wasn't until I got another dog to occupy my time which just happened last week that I am now even able to look at her pictures. I found that I had to imagine that Misty was at the kennel because my kids had just moved home from England.
I have been through this a few times and each time it is just so painful. I hope that in time you are able to enjoy the wonderful memories you both shared together.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bruce

I am so very, very, sorry about Bruce.
Keep coming here and you will continue to get support-it's a one day at a time acceptance.
What helped me when we lost our Smooch and Snobear (rather suddenly) and we found out that they had hemangiosarcoma is that I knew they were no longer suffering and we had set them free.
Whenever my Hubby and I have lost a dog, we adopt another right away and get lost in loving the new dog. I know that Bruce would want you go be happy, again.
Maybe fostering a dog would help you.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I am so sorry for your sadness. I truly understand the heartbreak and heartache as do so so many people on here. Please know we are all here for you anytime, feeling for you and caring. Its such a hard hard time and you must allow yourself to grieve, cry and even feel angry if you need to. There is no 'normal', he was your Bruce and you miss him. I hope all your special memories will in time help turn your tears to smiles but in the meantime, remember your lovely boy in his well days and know that he is now free from any illness and you did the best you could do in not letting him suffer and allowing him to run free. Big hugs from across the pond. x

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am not very good with words, but I too have felt the pain. We all have. Everyone else has said what is in my heart, but I just don't know how to get it out.

My heart is breaking for you. But Bruce really is happy now. Pat

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. i know what you are going through. We were faced with the same thing just 4 - 5 weeks ago with our beloved 8 yr old Jaco. We had no idea Jaco was ill; thought he was slowing down a bit....when we took him to the vet, he put him on antibiotics, thinking he'd picked up something at the dog park....but, xrays showed tumors in his lung and an internist confirmed histiocytic sarcoma. We were shocked and devastated to say the least... Within a week, it was clear he was beginning to suffer and we were forced to make the decision to "let him go" as the vet suggested. We have been grieving ever since....
The most important thing is that you were there for Bruce through out his life, and as difficult as it is, it is our responsibility as their caretakers to help them cross over to the rainbow bridge. I wish I could offer you more comfort, but it will take time to heal and to be able to remember Bruce with a smile instead of a tear. He'll always be with you........and his memory will be less painful for you, in time.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I am so sorry about Bruce. I loved his beautiful face. That is a horrible cancer, hard to find, hard to diagnose. I lost my Cookie in June and I have still not worked it all out. It is so hard and so difficult to process. Best wishes.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
When you first bring that little puppy home, at the back of your mind you look ahead through the years to come and dread that day when its time to start that journey to the Bridge. Unfortunately, Goldens only have a life span of 10 years average, and its almost always cancer. This is the price way pay for loving and caring for these magnificent children of God.

How do you deal with the loss? We all have our own ways, and its a deep personal matter. We cope in different ways. We mourn in different ways.
There is one common denomenator. The pain never goes away. The love never dies. The memories never fade.

One day there is a new member of the household. Its Golden. Its naughty. Its lovable to the point of night sweats. And so the cycle starts again.

Somehow or other Allmighty God gives us the strength to bear these losses. Somehow or other we can find a Golden light in the darkness.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts