Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Payton, try typing it like this 'wwwdotgoldenretrieverforumdotcom'.

·
The Deuce is loose!
57 Posts
Payton, try typing it like this 'wwwdotgoldenretrieverforumdotcom'.
Probably not a good idea. I imagine that the staff of this site has that specific string censored for a reason. I personally would respect that and not try to get around the censorship.

JMO.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'm truly not trying to 'get around' anyone. Seems innocuous being a database for longevity.....my suggestion was to post how to get there by not actually posting the link itself...:confused:

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
That database happens to be tied into a competing forum... it's one of a number that are blocked from being posted on this website.

Julie and Jersey

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Oh, you can just Google Golden retriever longevity database. So many members on here went over their and got themselves banned for fun. I can't believe it's blocked out. :uhoh: I haven't been over there in ages.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am curious why the Original poster was referring to that database?
Because the dogs all seemed to die so young?

I have had five goldens : 2 lived to be 12, one was 14 , Selka is 10 and healthy and Gunner is 6.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had never seen that before!
No other reason.. I thought I saw older dogs listed there as well..
I know in k9database some choose to put why the dog died in the honorific area.

I think it helps in decision making, if I am going to look for another golden, or would be a breeder, I would find that information helpful that is all..

I had no idea it was tied into any other forum, I am not that internet savy..

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
I haven't been on that site in a long time - I too was banned - I think I finally figured out that it was because I gave out some breeder information in a PM. :doh: Whatever - there are more fish in the sea.

I believe my Jake was in that database since he lived to be 17.

·
Retired bum..........
1,106 Posts
I took a peek at the forum. The oldest dog died at 20 and was being fed Beneful. Of course Beneful has not been around 20 years so I guess we are to assume something similar over the years.

Oh well, so much for the high end foods.;)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
point of interest, ALL of the really old dogs I board eat nothing but commercial kibble, and none of them eat any of the "really high end foods".
Lab mix, 18 years old, purina one
Rottweiler, 16 years old, purina one
Eskie, almost 20 years old, various commercial kibbles (they switch on and off)
Beagle mix, 18 years old, purina one
Golden, 16 years old, Iams
Lab, 15 years old, Iams
hmmm, I'm sure there are more if I think about it. I suspect the Purina One is just because it's in all of the grocery stores in our area, the longevity had nothing to do with them all eating Purina One.
Yes, there's a moral here, but I don't want to get into a "what do you feed" discussion, which wouldn't belong in this thread.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Hotel4Dogs....midway through Sam's life I read Consumer Reports and their ratings of Dog Food. Well, Old Roy from Walmart was the highest rated, so I switched Sam to Old Roy.
So, at Sam's next Vet check-up and they ask the perfunctory, "What is Sam eating?" and I say "Old Roy. I read the CR rating and went with the better food."
My Vet nearly yelled at me!.:--appalled:
I promised to switch Sam back to his premium food and quietly went away. :--saucer_eyes:
My Vet is very big on feeding 'better' foods.

...but I can't help but notice that all he dogs you mentioned lived longer....:(

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Honey - when they get really old you feed them what they will eat! Jake ate funky canned food and table scraps - he liked the canned Kibbles N Bits the best (and yes he had some of the Old Roy food too). The last dry food I gave him (softened) was Alpo because again - it's what he would eat.

Once they get past that 15-16 year mark, you will do anything just to keep them happy and comfortable. If it means feeding them junk food, then so be it. But words to all that feed canned garbage food - add a good tablespoon of plain yogurt to it because the gas of an old dog on canned food is enough to curl your hair. :doh::p:

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Once they get past that 15-16 year mark, you will do anything just to keep them happy and comfortable. If it means feeding them junk food, then so be it. But words to all that feed canned garbage food - add a good tablespoon of plain yogurt to it because the gas of an old dog on canned food is enough to curl your hair. :doh::p:
We had a 19 yo golden mix who ate crappy cat food and scrambled hamburger and rice for the last three years of her life...the thinking was "if she doesn't eat she'll be dead in a couple of weeks so if she wants to eat cat food and scrambled hamburger that's fine." We never thought we'd be cooking for her for three years! I'd nuke something for dinner and my mom would make Missy dinner every night :)
E

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
To be fair though, a lot of the "high end" foods these days have only been around a few years (or atleast much less time than all the commercial brands) I would imagine anyone with an old dog would keep them on whatever food worked for them as a younger dog, not be switching to a different newer food.

Although yes, I'd imagine if you polled 1000 random pet owners, the majority feed commercial foods rather than the "holistic" kibbles due to cost and more widespread availability... so it just makes sense that more would be listed on that database that are fed the grocery store brands.

I'll be interested to see what foods are listed on that database in another 20 years. Just a thought.

point of interest, ALL of the really old dogs I board eat nothing but commercial kibble, and none of them eat any of the "really high end foods".
Lab mix, 18 years old, purina one
Rottweiler, 16 years old, purina one
Eskie, almost 20 years old, various commercial kibbles (they switch on and off)
Beagle mix, 18 years old, purina one
Golden, 16 years old, Iams
Lab, 15 years old, Iams
hmmm, I'm sure there are more if I think about it. I suspect the Purina One is just because it's in all of the grocery stores in our area, the longevity had nothing to do with them all eating Purina One.
Yes, there's a moral here, but I don't want to get into a "what do you feed" discussion, which wouldn't belong in this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.