Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you eaten haggis?:confused: Do you know what it is?! Well tonight I am glamming up and chucking my jeans to one side and wearing a lovely dress and going to a Burns Dinner and staying in a hotel :) We will be piped into dinner by bagpipes and have someone give a speech about something, a scottish prayer, we will eat scottish oatcakes and salmon, the haggis will be paraded around before it is served and then we will have aberdeen angus steaks and all the trimmings! Following that their will be some other scottish sayings and singing I think and then a delicious desert, I will report afterwards, and then we will retire to the bar for coffee etc :) :smooch: I will be a FATTY after all that! We are with some neighbours who are friends of ours and I think the men will be drinking a little whisky too! Chester stayed home with my girls, all snugsy and warm but I am sure he will miss us and would have liked a bit of this dinner! ;)
Sooo,..have you ever had haggis?! :wavey:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have heard of it before but I forget what it is. I don't think it is something that Americans would enjoy, if I remember correctly.

I am so happy you are having a night out. Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Ok, I just looked it up, definitely something I would not eat. :no:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am fairly certain it is a sheep stomach filled with other goodies... I would never eat that, personally.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I've had it last year when I visited Scotland....will never ever ever, did I say ever eat it again,:yuck::yuck: some animals stomach:confused:, and they dont season their meat quite like we americans do...even my daughter turned her nose up to it :eek::yuck:....you will love everything else though, the dancers, and bagpipes, AND the Whisky...have fun..:wavey:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I had it in college. I don't remember the occasion, but someone brought it as a treat. As I remember, it wasn't as bad as i expected.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I had it when we visited Scotland some years ago. I liked it. If I remember correctly it was scooped out of the casing and eaten with a fork and bread. It reminds me of a coarse Braunschweiger, which is made with pork organs. I believe Haggis is made with sheep organs.

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
I went to college for a semester in Scotland and tried Haggis. It definitely an acquired taste but some Scots love it. Haggis varies a little from place to place, but it is basically sheep organs ground up, oftentimes mixed with oats and seasoning, stuffed into a stomach and cooked. It is often steamed for hours.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ingredients To Cook Haggis

A sheep’s paunch
Liver, heart and tongue of a sheep
1/2 lb. suet
2 lg. onions
1/2 lb. oatmeal
1/2 tsp. powdered herbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Steps To Cook Haggis

Step 1 To Cook Haggis
Wash paunch and soak overnight in cold salted water.
Step 2 To Cook Haggis
Wash the liver, heart and tongue and boil in salted water for 2 hours.
Step 3 To Cook Haggis
Then cut in pieces, removing gristle and skin, and mince. Mince the suet and onions and toast the oatmeal to a golden brown.
Step 4 To Cook Haggis
Mix all together, adding salt, pepper and herbs, moisten with water which the paunch was boiled in.
Step 5 To Cook Haggis
Fill the bag two-thirds full of mixture and sew up. Prick over with a darning needle to prevent bursting.
Step 6 To Cook Haggis
Place haggis in boiling water and boil for 3 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes and turnips.Enjoy the Haggis.

No thanks... I'll pass on the haggis

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
I think I read somewhere that it was banned here in the US for a long time?

Looking at that picture above, it might as well stay banned because yeck. :yuck:

Here I thought grape leaves looked revolting (they look like poop). o_O

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we had an amazing night. The food was incredible...INCLUDING the haggis and the scottish piper and the poems and sayings and kilted men were really good fun. Looking at that photo above of that haggis I fsel a bit sick but in all honesty it was reallly good and I think like with all things the taste depends on the seasoning etc. Ours was served woth some mash potatoe and mashed swede, a delicious meat gravy and a sprig of fresh rosemary. Mmmmmm. I am still full today, phew.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Let us know how it is. Sheep stomach filled with heart, liver and lungs a little oatmeal, onions and spices. Sounds offal LOL.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Haggis is delicious!! We're you at a Burns supper? I am Scottish and gave never been to one...!! Maybe next year.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
A Burns Supper

Around the world tributes to the life and works of Robert Burns are held, through the ritual of the Burns Supper. Originally started a few years after his death by a group of his friends and acquaintances, in to honour his memory, the suppers are now celebrated annually on the date of his birth, 25th January.

No Burns Supper would be complete without The Haggis, The Drink (normally Whisky), The Songs, The Recitals, The Dance and of course the most important ingredient of all The Fun. If Burns were alive today he too would surely have enjoyed the celebrations! To find out the perfect ingredients needed to hold your very own Burns Supper click here

EatScotland your official guide to eating and drinking throughout Scotland provides full details and further useful information on Burns Suppers and other traditional Scottish fare.

What to expect from a Burns Supper

There are guidelines and observances to be followed and traditionally, guests at the Supper are involved in*these observances helping to make it a great event.* Detail of the traditional format of a Burns Supper are listed below.

Piping in the Top Table
The top table guests are piped in (if it's a formal gathering) and the assembled gathering welcomes them by clapping along to the music. If it's a smaller event and there is no piper, then traditional music soundtrack is normally played. When ready to be seated, the piper stops playing and the guests give a round of applause.

Chairman's Welcome
The Chairman's role as 'Master of Ceremonies' is very important to direct proceedings throughout the evening. The Chairman welcomes everyone and introduces the top table, speakers and entertainers and may run through the sequence of events for the evening. Then it is customary to say the 'Selkirk Grace' before the starter is served:

"Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some would eat that want it,
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit."

Piping in the Haggis
The Chairman asks the guests to be upstanding to receive the star attraction the haggis. This is delivered to the table with pomp and ceremony, presented on a silver platter, carried on high by the chef. The small procession, including the person who will address the haggis as well as perhaps a whisky bearer, is led in by the piper, playing 'Brose & Butter' or some other rousing tune.

The Address to the Haggis
The appointed speaker then gives a resounding and dramatic rendition of Burns' 'To a Haggis' With dirk or knife at the ready, he first apologises for 'killing' the haggis, then during the line 'An' cut you up wi' ready slight' meaning 'and cut you up with skill', the speaker savagely stabs his knife into the haggis and slices along its length, trenching its gushing entrails (digging its innards) with a great flourish. The recital ends with the speaker raising the platter above his head, showing the audience the steaming dish and uttering the triumphant words: 'Gie her a Haggis!' to rapturous applause.

For the full lyrics please click here

Toast to the Haggis
The speaker then asks the guests to share in a toast to the haggis. Everyone stands and raises their glass to 'The Haggis', shouting out the words loudly and with gusto. The piper again begins to play, leading the haggis back out of the dining room in preparation for the dinner. Again the audience claps in time to the music as the procession departs.

Interval
After the meal, there is a brief comfort break while the table is cleared.

First Entertainer
The Chairman introduces the first entertainer who could be a singer or musician performing one of Burns' songs such as 'My Luve is like a Red, Red Rose', 'Ae Fond Kiss', 'Rantin, Rovin Robin' or 'John Anderson, My Jo'. Popular recitals include 'Tam O Shanter', 'To A Louse', 'Address to the Unco Guid', 'Holy Willie's Prayer' or 'A Man's A Man For A' That'.

The Immortal Memory
The main speaker is introduced and gives a spell-binding account of the life of Burns. His literary prowess, his politics, his Nationalistic pride in Scotland, his humanity, his faults and his humour should all be explored, giving the audience an insight into the life and works of the Bard in a witty, yet serious way. The speaker concludes with an invitation to join in a heart-felt toast: 'To the Immortal Memory of Robert Burns'.

Second Entertainer
More celebration of Burns' work or anything that honours the immortal memory and spirit of the Bard.

Toast to the Lassies
This humorous speech, gently ridiculing the (few) shortcomings of women should raise smiles from both sides of the mixed company, so anything too chauvinistic and cutting should be kept in check! Despite the tongue-in-cheek ribbing, the speech ends on a complimentary note, with the speaker asking the men to be upstanding to raise their glasses in a toast 'To the Lassies'

Third Entertainer
More song, dance, fiddling, recitals.

Reply to the Toast to the Lassies
This is the chance for the women to retort with cunning, wit and a few good-natured jibes of their own. The speech often begins with a sarcastic thanks on behalf of the women present for the previous speaker's 'kind' words and then gives a lively response highlighting the foibles of the male race, using reference to Burns and the women in his life. Again, this finishes on a positive note.

Final Entertainer
A final entertainer bravely faces the by now more than likely more than merry audience.

Vote of Thanks
As the festivities draw to a close, a vote of thanks is made to everyone who has made the evening such a success, from the chairman and chef to the entertainers and guests.

Auld Lang Syne
The traditional end to a Burns Supper' or indeed, any gathering among the company of friends' is the singing of this famous Burns' song about parting. The company join hands, often in a large circle, and belt out the words together. At the line: 'And here's a hand', you cross each of your hands over to rejoin those standing on either side of you.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Went out to dinner today and the people at the table next to us had haggis. Not something I would want but I'm glad you had a good time Elly!

I do like bagpipes though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts