Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was playing with Annie near my pond and I was giving her a belly rub when she fell in and got out, shaken. I end up having to give her a bath, and she completely hated the experience. When I turn on the dryer, she completely freaks and tries to run off. I was already peeved at her because she had gotten out of the tub like 6 times already and the bathroom had half an inch of water on it and I was trying to make it as comfortable as possible for her, so I ended up holding her while I dried her for at least a little bit. She struggled a lot and barked and cried, but I needed her nice and dry, but now my heart is tearing and I feel like a monster.
I have so much remorse and feel horrible for forcing her to be dried and I know she hates me now and I feel so heart broken.

Have you guys ever gone through something like this that you regret or feel horrible for having had done to your pups? Do they keep on loving you since its only one bad experience?

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
Were you shaken after the puppy fell in the water? Or was the puppy shaken? In any case take a deep breath... the puppy will probably get over anything that you feel you have done to her.

As far as the bath and the hair dryer.
Forcing her to have a bath may have created some aversion to water or baths in the future.
And keep in mind that what might feel comfortable to us might be far too warm as far as the puppy is concerned.
Was the dryer set on heat or cool ?

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
She's probably forgotten the whole thing alread.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
If this were my pup, I would deliberately set out to replace this minor negative incident in her mind with positives. Maybe have her lick some peanut putter from a spoon of the wall with the dryer going, but not on her etc. At ten weeks old, she should be able to bounce back pretty well. A nice calm matter of fact attitude goes along way with pups and baths. Maybe you could practice with the blow drier as a separate task?

Definitely don't start thinking along the lines of "she hates me" bc pups dont think like that. That's more you feeling guilty and projecting it onto her!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Exactly, Jill. And get some treats involved. Dogs can be bought off so easily. Treats=good intentions. Good luck!

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
I agree with the others... she definitely doesn't hate you!!! :) I would work on the positive association between the dryer & treats. Oscar is always a mudster after visiting the dog park, so he needs lots of baths... but as it's important to dry them off thoroughly after baths (if they aren't going to get thoroughly sun dried or something), I've always given him lots of yummy treats while running the hair dryer, since he needs a good drying-off every single time.

I use strips of dried duck treats (they come in a big ziplock kind of bag). I can hold onto one end and he chews on the other end, or he lies down and chews on it while I dry off his belly. We go through several strips in one drying session. If there is no treat he just prefers to run around the bathroom and act like a nut!!!! For Oscar, I think it's actually the sound of the dryer that gets him excited rather than the experience of being blowdried, so I'm thinking to get a new quieter one when I can... both for me and him LOL

I'm sure your baby still loves you!!! I agree that we can feel a lot worse about that kind of incident than they do!! Good luck.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Hank is 5.5 mos. He's a big time digger & mud wrestler when his brother visits so he's had more baths than I can count. We also have a pond! He hated baths at first and tried to jump out or run off. I had to force him and believe me, he wasn't scared for life. He walks into the shower stall and stands for his bath. She'll get over it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Today I was playing with Annie near my pond and I was giving her a belly rub when she fell in and got out, shaken. I end up having to give her a bath, and she completely hated the experience. When I turn on the dryer, she completely freaks and tries to run off. I was already peeved at her because she had gotten out of the tub like 6 times already and the bathroom had half an inch of water on it and I was trying to make it as comfortable as possible for her, so I ended up holding her while I dried her for at least a little bit. She struggled a lot and barked and cried, but I needed her nice and dry, but now my heart is tearing and I feel like a monster.
I have so much remorse and feel horrible for forcing her to be dried and I know she hates me now and I feel so heart broken.

Have you guys ever gone through something like this that you regret or feel horrible for having had done to your pups? Do they keep on loving you since its only one bad experience?
Aww you sound so sweet.. remember dogs live in the moment.. She will love you always!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts