Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wyatt appears to have a mild form of kennel cough (he was boarded about a week before the hacking started). My husband and I came down with mild colds at the same time that Wyatt started hacking. My symptoms are a sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, stuffiness. My husband just had stuffiness and a runny nose. Is there a chance that we got sick from Wyatt or vice versa? Also, can our cat get sick from this as well? I found a couple Web pages that seem to suggest that sharing colds is possible. Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think viruses are contagious across species, however, I guess I could be wrong.
I guess if it's bacterial, it could happen, then? I guess I'll ask my vet to see what they say. I've read that kennel cough can be viral or bacterial in nature (or both).

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I don't think viruses are contagious across species, however, I guess I could be wrong.
I wish that were true but the swine flu (H1N1) did cross species from pigs to people. I read yesterday some kids gave the h1n1 back to some pigs at the Minnesota State fair. I think the bird flu also crossed species. Both are viruses.

·
16,000 Posts
Colds and flus are not zoonotic, so we can not pass them back and forth with our pets. The only possible exception is pet rats, who we can share the "common cold" with.

·
16,000 Posts
I wish that were true but the swine flu (H1N1) did cross species from pigs to people. I read yesterday some kids gave the h1n1 back to some pigs at the Minnesota State fair. I think the bird flu also crossed species. Both are viruses.

Influenza viruses can be passed between swine and people, as did "bird flu". But cats, dogs, and other more common pets don't share viruses with humans.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swineflu/key_facts.htm

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I have been told you can not pass between species BUT I have also been told kennel cough is the exception. I have heard that from Vets and MD's. So it is possible to get "kennel cough" from your dog. Not saying that has happened but it is possible.

·
16,000 Posts
I have been told you can not pass between species BUT I have also been told kennel cough is the exception. I have heard that from Vets and MD's. So it is possible to get "kennel cough" from your dog. Not saying that has happened but it is possible.
I'd like to see documentation that bordatella bronchiseptica has been seen in humans, as everything that I have ever learned, and read, says it does not cross species, but is highly contagious among dogs. Bordatella pertussis, and bordatella parapertussis are the bacterium that cough whooping cough, but are distinctly separate from "kennel cough".

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have done some research on the subject of influenza in dogs. To the best of my knowledge, and I am not a vet, H1H1 has NOT infected any dogs. There is, however, a Canine Influenza Virus (H3N8 virus) that can be misdiagnosed as kennel cough. It is also known as "Doggie Flu". H3N8 actually started as an equine virus but jumped over to dogs about five years ago. It is highly contagious but is mostly mild. That being said, dogs can develop a secondary infection from the virus like preumonia so check in with your vet if you suspect this illness. If you are interested in an article on the subject, here you go http://www.fidodogtreats.com/can-my-dog-become-infected-swine-flu.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
When ever I pull a dog with the green eye gunk stuff, my other dogs get it for about three days, and I get itchy, red eyes (mild pink eye type thing) for about two days. EVERY TIME. So I am thinking mild eye infections can cross between dogs and humans. I am not positive, though. But it seems too much to be a coincidence. I don't do anything about it, and it goes away in all of us in just a few days. The rare time it doesn't, the dog in question gets eye drops. That and ringworm (fungus) are the only things I have gotten from a dog that I am aware of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts