Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and came home with totally the opposite?

When I went to look at a litter of rough collies there were nine in the litter. Eight were white and one sable and white. I knew I wanted a male white collie. I had everything planned out, showing, herding, obedience and therapy dog. There were three females, six males. After playing with them, stacking them and working with them, (with the breeder and my friend who was a NADOI obedience instructor and herding judge) four were in the running. Three white males and the sable and white female. Temperament won me over and yep, I came home with Deja, the female sable and white. She was a heart dog. Her head never developed just right for show, but she did obedience, herding (still is the youngest to get the first leg on the border collie herding trial at six months three days) and was a therapy dog.

When I went to get my Border Collie, it was to be a traditionally marked black and white female. I came home with Sweep, a male split face. I hate split faces. Sigh. But no one could have pried Sweep from me. No one could ever ask for a better or smarter dog than he was, another heart dog.

With both it was their temperaments that won me over, and gut instinct that it was the right one, no matter if it wasn't what I planned on bringing home. I never regretted a minute that I didn't get what I'd planned on getting.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweep is a traditional Border Collie name. If you ever try to read a BC pedigree, you need to know the numbers as you'll find many of the same names all over it. At least with the old pedigrees or the working lines.

I love seeing your Mack's picture, he makes me think of Deja. I'll try to scan a some pictures of her I got back after my house fire from my ex.

·
Kate
21,659 Posts
We adopted our rough collie...

Found him on petfinder. Pretty late at night too. I'd just talked over the phone with my sister and we both were crying. We'd lost our oldest golden boy just a few days before. He was my sister's heart dog...

My plan was to find an adult golden So I was searching and I just found a picture of Arthur and fell in love with him. Called my sister back and pressured her to call the foster.

A couple days later we officially adopted him. That lucky boy went from losing his home to having two homes that were very eager to have him and love him.

The foster said that after people pass clearances and get in through the door, she goes by the dog. If Arthie didn't want anything to do with us, then she would have sent us on our way. As it was, he immediately claimed my niece as his own.

·
Registered
13,062 Posts
That's usually when it's just meant to be...

I knew exactly what I wanted in a puppy when I was looking. Told the breeder: very calm, laid back, easy-going, small, dark female..

The one I fell in love with was the biggest female. She was mischievous, an infinite bundle of energy, smart as a whip (and would take 10 feet if you gave her an inch). Oh - she was the darkest, though! The breeder told me she was not the puppy I wanted. I convinced them she was.

And she has been more perfect for me than I ever could have imagined. She's my heart.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yes. When I got my cat...I went to the rescue thinking that I wanted a striped (gray/black) cat. The woman introduced me to several different cats in their "cat condo". I went with the kitten that jumped out of her arms, up onto the pole, and landed on my shoulder (he's black/white). :) That was four years ago. Aside from costing me $$$$ at the vet, he's a great critter to have around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts