Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 Goldens, Elle and Bella, Elle since a 8 week old pup and Bella as a rescue They are now aged 3 and 4 years old.

My concern or i should say my wife's concern is as i walk the girls and make a fuss of them are they coming to attached to me.

When they go in the garden i will call them in.

When i go out Elle will whine, and even when i leave the room they follow me.

I am not going out of my way to spoil them, but Mrs Ellesimmo is concerned when we come to leave them on their own ie shopping or work.

Any ideas

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Sounds like normal golden behavior to me :) One of their best qualities is their ability to become so attached to their owners.

Unfortunately, most of us do at some time or another have to leave home and that's always a concern for many. Are you both staying at home now? Do you have plans to return to work soon?

Daisy is very attached to me, it's just me and her, has been for 9 years now. But I go to work everyday and she does fine, she just sleeps and waits for me to come home. I'm sure she doesn't whine or bark, she's not destructive. She lays on my bed a lot and when I drive up after work, I look up and there she is looking out at me from our window -- one of my favorite moments. I wave at her, she leaves the window in a hurry and she's right there by the door when I come in.

You'll get good advice here...leaving our dogs is a necessary evil for many of us. We cope and so do our dogs :)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
No ideas but I just wanted to say it sounds like our house but it is hubby that says the dogs are too attached to me....especially Austin, our 1 year old. I can't go anywhere without him following me or barking/whining for me when he wants my attention. I don't think I went out of my way to spoil them either but again, hubby, grandma and grandpa, friends, relatives, etc. etc. all think differently. They are used to us going to work but I have to admit that I am quite concerned about having to leave them for a week when we go away in March.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Jamie is like that with me; follows me around from room to room, greets me at the door when I've been gone. He doesn't like me to leave him but does fine and from the welcome I get when I come home you'd think I'd been gone for months.

I think it is just normal for goldens to be very attached to their people and it's one of the things I love most about them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We both work (staggered hours), but it seems me and the girls have a bond together based on walking together, playing together.

The worst bit is them trying to sleep at my feet when im in the armchair. Bella always gets her own way. Which leaves Elle sad.

I am sure it will pass, but it used to be the person who feeds them gets the attention.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Daisy is really bonded to my son. He used to live at home and when he did, Daisy always slept in his room. I was actually quite jealous :p: He rarely fed her, never walked her but did play with her a lot.

Still, when he comes over, she goes nuts. All he has to do is walk into the room and her tail starts thumping. She doesn't do that for me all the time like she does for him :p:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally i love the bond we have, i know they are ok when we are gone,

We share everything it seems, getting wet while walking,cleaning their paws when they are muddy.

I know the limits of letting them get to close. But you can't beat a bond with a dog.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie is very attached to me, follows me around, likes to be touching me when he sleeps, etc. But he does not have any problems with separation anxiety. If I'm here, he wants to be with me. If I'm not here, he's fine on his own. So the the two things aren't necessarily related. You do want them to be okay on their own. Have there been any signs of separation anxiety? Do they destroy things when you are out?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rookie is very attached to me, follows me around, likes to be touching me when he sleeps, etc. But he does not have any problems with separation anxiety. If I'm here, he wants to be with me. If I'm not here, he's fine on his own. So the the two things aren't necessarily related. You do want them to be okay on their own. Have there been any signs of separation anxiety? Do they destroy things when you are out?
No anxiety, no destroying,

I think Mrs Ellesimmo is concened they love being around. And see's it as them potentially being unhappy when i am not about.

Don't get me wrong Mrs Ellesimmo loves them bits, but maybe i am the 3rd Golden or the playmaker :)

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
i don't mean this in a negative way, but is Mrs Ellesimmo getting jealous that she's not the center of their attention but you are?

i know it causes some mildly hurt feelings in our house that Faith won't stay with hubby on the couch if i leave the room. he wishes she was as attached to him as she is to me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't mean this in a negative way, but is Mrs Ellesimmo getting jealous that she's not the center of their attention but you are?

i know it causes some mildly hurt feelings in our house that Faith won't stay with hubby on the couch if i leave the room. he wishes she was as attached to him as she is to me.
Had to think about that one :). i think she is the sensible one of us two.

I read these threads and my conclusion is i love my Goldens and they love being round me :)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Had to think about that one :). i think she is the sensible one of us two.

I read these threads and my conclusion is i love my Goldens and they love being round me :)
Funny you should say that about loving your Goldens...I'm just sitting here plunking away on the computer (when I should be doing something more constructive) with my 3 babies all curled up and sleeping so peacefully...I was wondering to myself......can you possibly love your dogs too much????

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny you should say that about loving your Goldens...I'm just sitting here plunking away on the computer (when I should be doing something more constructive) with my 3 babies all curled up and sleeping so peacefully...I was wondering to myself......can you possibly love your dogs too much????

When i am on the laptop Elle will come and nudge it.:)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
It's not unusual at all for dogs to 'take to' one person in a family more than the others. With a pair of dogs, it's probably just one doing what the other is doing.

Our Penny is always right by us. Even if she naps in the bedroom, she's listening to us and knows what we're doing in much the same way a mom knows what the kids are up to even though they are in another room.

Separation anxiety has more to do with a dog's issues than a loving attachment to a human.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts