Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hating the car and getting car sick

I have been taking Sierra in the car since we brought her home at 7 weeks old and never had a problem. All of a sudden she never wants to get into the car. Sometimes after she gets in she will whine for a good 5 10 mins and other times she will just lay down. In the past week and half she has actually thrown up 3 times in the car. Why would something like this start?

We are very active we like to go camping and on car rides. Is there anything thing I can do to help her like the car again and not get sick in it.

thanks so much

·
Registered
976 Posts
That was our Lily...didn't matter if we were going 5 mins away or 2 hours away...every time we went in the car, she threw up! What ended up making all the difference for us was putting her bed in the backseat. I don't know if it's because she can stretch out now or if it's a comforting smell, but whatever it is she's stopped throwing up (thank goodness!) She still drools a fair bit in the car but with her bed in there, that's all that happens. Maybe this will work for you :) Good luck!

·
Registered
774 Posts
My now 3year old Teddy (not a gr, but a toy mutt) threw up in the car from day one - driving home from adopting him! Every time we drove anywhere in the car for his first year or so, we could count on him throwing up.

I asked the vet and he told me that many times, dogs outgrow this. I had my fingers crossed and sure enough - he is now three and doesn't throw up anymore in the car. Whines and carries on and shivers...but at least no throwing up!

Kris

·
Registered
268 Posts
at least comet eats up his puke, its the drool everywhere thats brutal.

he once got himself so worked up, he puked between teh time i put him in the truck and the time i actually got into my seat.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
My Rowdy used to get carsick and my trainer had me start feeding him treats (I use cooked meat for treats) while I drove; believe it or not, it worked! He got over being car sick and came to love his rides.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Do lots of practice sessions at home in the driveway... just sitting in the car, calmly petting and feeding treats.

When you do have to drive somewhere, make sure she hasn't eaten for 3 hours or so, but you can try a couple ginger snaps. If she travels in such a way that she can see out the window, try changing that.

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
My question is: did you change vehicles? The reason I ask is: Izzy would get sick in the truck, but when we took her for a ride in the motorhome, she did not get sick. I traded the truck to a van (fuel efficiency), she does not get sick.

Sooo, maybe it it the type of vehicle. The truck had a high center of gravity compared to the other vehicles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have the same problem and I feel so bad for Scout. All of a sudden about 2 months ago she started getting sick in the car. We have always taken her in the car for short or long rides and for the first 6 months she didn't get sick then all of a sudden she drools like crazy and throws up every time she is in the car for more than an accross the street drive. I'll try the recommendation above, I will really try anything because we love to take her everywhere we go and it's getting really hard...

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone for the advice. It is so hard because Sierra has to ride in the car monday-friday to go to the sitters.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Cruiser has gotten car sick since he was 8 weeks old... NOTHING has helped and to this day he still get sick..and hes 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts