Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Well I haven't been on this site for a while from being so busy from work. I just had to come and get some advice. My pup Sam who I have written about on this site has been so sick. It started yesterday,he was walking wobbly,peeing a lot! vomiting,and for some reason he was really thirsty,and lethargic. I can't even remember how many times he has peed and vomited through out the night. And the thing is when he does either of those 2 he just lays in. This morning my husband went to give him a bath and he was lifeless,he would not move and would not blink,he just layed in his bed,his eye looked kind of cloudy to me also. We took him to the emergency vet,and they said he's in shock and basically in a coma. I don't understand whats happening. He is staying at the Vet overnight. He has been there for over6 hours,we called and they said he is still the same way as we brought him in. Has this eve happened to any one else??? Thanks and sorry if this was kind of long.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
OMG... this sounds very serious. There is no way of really knowing what is going on since many things can cause shock. Have they done lab work? X-rays?? He definitely needs critical care and diagnostics to find the problem immediately. Please keep us posted.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
oh no.....Im so very sorry...

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
OH MY...I am so sorry, it sounds scary and this has never happened to any of my dogs. My thoughts and prayers are with your sweet pup. please keep us updated on his condition.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Oh I am so very sorry.This sounds horrible and so tragic. Your poor baby and I am so sorry for you. Did they have any idea of anything they can do? Were they doing an MRI ? If he's in shock, you'd think of internal bleeding. I will be praying for Sam.
Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This has never happened to my dog, but I wanted to express my hope that Sam will pull through this. I'm sure it's extremely terrifying. Had he shown any symptoms of illness previously? What a scary thing to happen.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
OMG how horrible. I'm sorrry I have no input on this either. How old is Sam? What has the vet done so far????

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
The only thing I can think of is status elepticus (sp). Has Sam every showed signs of epilepsy? Poor baby! I hope they find out what the heck and soon. I'm sorry you (and he) are going through this

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
It really could be anything from your description. My best guess would be a serious parasitic or bacterial infection. The thirst was probably caused by dehydration due to the diarrhea, and dehydration would account for the wobbliness and lethargy.

Do they have any bloodwork back? Have they tested for parasites?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My dog Obi got really sick when he was a year old. He started vomiting and within about 5 hours was critically ill. Luckily we got him straight to the vets which probably saved his life. It sounds like your pup has probably become critically dehydrated. I hope he's getting some good care at the vets, I know how terrifying the waiting is, we had to wait about 5 days with him in critical condition before he turned the corner.

I'll be praying your pup responds to treatment and turns the corner really soon. Thinking of you all....

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
How scary! Good thoughts being sent your way. I wonder if it was some sort of poisoning. Antifreeze or something else.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Yes, I had a similar scare with Scout when she was much younger. She was vomiting occasionally and severely dehydrated. I took her to the vet and they kept her overnight, gave her fluids, and drew some blood. Her white blood cell count was high and as sick as she was as fast as she was the vet decided that she had a virus. Luckily, she was much better in the morning after fluids. Of course, even though she was just past the last round of vaccines at her age their first inclination was to do a fast Parvo test (yeah, I panicked).

I understand blockage can also cause similar symptoms and it is a very severe problem. If Scout had not gotten better they would've started x-rays to see if something was there. If I remember right, not all things will show up on x-rays...

Sending prayers your way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey every one! Thanks for writing back and all the support. Well he is still at the Vet. We called about an hour ago,and they said to call back because they were treating him. When we were there yesterday,the vet said she's going to do an x-ray. She said they can only help with his symptoms,not treat it. I don't know if that's a good thing. They had a hard time finding a vein on him too because his circulation was low. They put him on IV fluids also. I don't know if he's still in the same condition still,but we are going to call back now.
And thanks again for your prayers and being supportive. I had went on Yahoo Answers also,and some one had the nerve to ask if I came online for a "pity party". I'm glad I found this website =)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I am so sorry to read this about Sam I can only imagine how frightened and worried you are about him, I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.

That comment on Yahoo was just plain nasty and cruel.

Please keep us updated on Sam when you have time.

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
Sorry to hear about your puppy Sam. If it's dehydration they can hopefully treat that and hope the cause is treatable also. Looking forward to hearing some positive news.
'Pity Party'? Mm stay away from there!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts