Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Has it been an awful flea season for you?

547 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  fostermom 
#1 ·
I use Frontline every month on my dogs and my dogs - at least Max - still has some fleas. This is driving me NUTS!! I don't know if it's a golden thing - or just a crazy bad flea year - or like so many other great products, they are skimping on the things that make their product work for me in this bad economy.

Some years, most years, no flea issues at all. This year - the unending why I am spending so much money for this Frontline when it's not working right? kind of flea year.

Sooo question. Has it been a bad season for you as well? Is anyone else having these issues? Perhaps do to Max's thick coat, could I be not putting it all the way to his skin or something or does the tons of fur make it so that it doesn't spread right because the fleas I see and the ones he chews at are on this tummy/pee pee area.

Any advice?? Thanks!!

EDIT. Ps. Sorry for my run on and on sentences!!

#3 ·
I saw a few stragglers this year, but no infestation here.

We have not had a flea infestation since we lost our last cat... it's been 17 years.

#5 ·
I've never heard of Revolution. The weirdest thing is, we don't have them in the house at all - at least, not that I've noticed and the one year we did have fleas in the house (super yuck) I was like sugar to them. So they seem to stay on Max. My friend says that she thinks the outdoor cats keep reinfesting our yards as she's had a hard time too and look, it's almost December!! I'm in pa and today the weather was 58 degrees. If they are in my yard, that isn't helping.

#6 ·
no problem with fleas here....and <knock wood> we have not seen or removed a tick on our dogs...We used Advantix this year....

#8 ·
No fleas here. I've been using Frontline on Hank & AJ (cat).

Until last summer when the vet found some flea dirt on AJ with a comb at his checkup I never treated either of them. I started both the dog, Maggie was alive then, and cat on Frontline. Never have seen a tick either. We live on wooded acreage so I was always surprised we never had a problem.

#9 ·
Fleas have been terrible here. I am sure part of it is that the foster pups bring in fleas, but we also have a ton of squirrels and they carry a huge number of fleas. I just bought a 24 pack (or 4 6-packs) of Capstar to help me keep on top of them. Plus I have been putting Borax on the carpets every week and letting it sit for 2 days before vacuuming it up. Oh, I use Frontline Plus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.