Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought Wilson to the vet yesterday and they gave him a bottle of Nemex. I told them that he had already been wormed with strongent (not sure of spelling) and I was told that a long term worming process is a recommendation from the CDC. Have any recent puppy owners been given Nemex? I actually went to our k-9 training center and they had never heard of it and my breeder didn't sound thrilled with it either. I'm a little skeptical.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I have used Nemex 2 for my puppies for years. It is an extremely safe wormer that gets rounds and hooks. It is the same active ingredient as Strongid, but it is caramel flavored and the puppies love it. Both are pyrantel pamoate.

The "2" version is simply a stronger version of regular Nemex and is given at 1 tsp per 10 pounds, versus regular Nemex at 1 tsp per 5 pounds.

I always order mine in the large bottles.

I did notice with my last litter that the pyrantel pamoate did not seem to be as effective against the roundworms as in the past. I may switch to a different wormer for my next litter, possibly Panacur once they reach 6 weeks of age. Panacur works against whips and tapes as well as rounds and hooks.

·
16,000 Posts
Nemex is a very effective anthelmintic that has been used for years. I cannot imagine a breeder not being familiar with it.

As Tahnee stated, Nemex and Strongid are both brand names for pyrantel pamoate. They treat hookworms and roundworms.
Panacur (fenbendazole) is more broad spectrum, and is used to treat hooks, wound, whips, tapes, flukes, and giardia.

·
16,000 Posts
I suspected someone might make a comment about a breeder not knowing about this product. BINGO! :p:
Well, gee. It's been around forever and is the most frequently used dewormer by vets and breeders, and can be purchased without a rx (most PetSmarts, etc carry it) I am surprised that a breeder or other "dog person" hasn't heard of it. It is the same medication as Strongid, so if the breeder wasn't "thrilled" about Nemex being used because she'd used Strongid, it's no different.
It was not a "bash", if that is what you are thinking.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just trying to decide if I should use it that's all! My concern came in because the training center said that wormers give loose stools and to go and buy a couple of cases of papertowels! LOL He has been wormed and I was questioning if I needed to worm him again and is it a real recommendation form the CDC?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used Nemex 2 for my puppies for years. It is an extremely safe wormer that gets rounds and hooks. It is the same active ingredient as Strongid, but it is caramel flavored and the puppies love it. Both are pyrantel pamoate.

The "2" version is simply a stronger version of regular Nemex and is given at 1 tsp per 10 pounds, versus regular Nemex at 1 tsp per 5 pounds.

I always order mine in the large bottles.

I did notice with my last litter that the pyrantel pamoate did not seem to be as effective against the roundworms as in the past. I may switch to a different wormer for my next litter, possibly Panacur once they reach 6 weeks of age. Panacur works against whips and tapes as well as rounds and hooks.
Tahnee,
Would you use strongent and then Nemex? Does strongent get hooks and rounds?

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
How often did your vet suggest giving him the Nemex? I have only seen loose stools with wormers, when there are actually worms present. If the dogs don't have worms, I haven't seen loose stools.

It's not unusual to worm twice, about 10 days apart, and then run another fecal. This should get the existing worms and their offspring.

I have seen roundworms at least, becoming more resistant to the pyrantel pamoate, which is why for adults I prefer something like Panacur.

Here are the CDC recommendations:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/ascaris/prevention.htm

and it does say

If the mother did not receive prophylactic treatment, puppies and kittens must be treated early and repeatedly in order to prevent patent infections.22 In areas where both ascarids and hookworms are common, begin treating both puppies and their mothers with an age-appropriate anthelmintic at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks of age. Some recommend extending this to 12 weeks and then treating monthly until the pet is 6 months old. To treat for ascarids alone, begin by 2 ½ - 3 weeks and treat every 2 weeks for at least three additional treatments. Because prenatal infection does not occur in kittens, preventive treatment should begin at 3 weeks of age, and be repeated at 5, 7, and 9 weeks. Nursing dogs and queens should be treated concurrently with their offspring because they often develop patent infections along with their young.

Now, don't forget that heartworm preventatives often serve as wormers as well.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Tahnee,
Would you use strongent and then Nemex? Does strongent get hooks and rounds?
In the past, I have only used Nemex. Strongid and Nemex are identical wormers, with the exception of the caramel flavoring added to the Nemex.

Honestly, once they are old enough, I prefer Panacur. My adults are on Ivermectin for heartworm preventative, and this takes care of worms as well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He got his heartworm last night and as for the Nemex - I'm supposed to give it now and then in two weeks and then two weeks after that and then once a month for until he is six months. It looks like the vet and the CDC recommendations match! The vet has not checked a stool sample yet. I need to bring it to her this week.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, gee. It's been around forever and is the most frequently used dewormer by vets and breeders, and can be purchased without a rx (most PetSmarts, etc carry it) I am surprised that a breeder or other "dog person" hasn't heard of it. It is the same medication as Strongid, so if the breeder wasn't "thrilled" about Nemex being used because she'd used Strongid, it's no different.
It was not a "bash", if that is what you are thinking.
Pointe - Just so I am clear, the breeder was comfortable with how she wormed her puppies and just to compare notes Inge's vet was fine with the breeders worming. So for me it raised a red flag and I wanted more information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts