Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Leo had an eye infection last week so I took him to the vet. I recently switched because our other was too far. Thankfully, our new one was very kind and knowledgeable. I spoke to her about Leo's constant itching and struggle with allergies and he had some dermatitis on his stomach. She recommended to try the Royal Canin Prescription Diet with Hydrolyzed protein for 4 weeks to see if his itchiness goes away. Have any of you tried this diet? My only concern is his coat, PPP SSS has done wonders for his coat it is so shiny and beautiful. Could supplements cause allegry as well?

·
Registered
763 Posts
My dog was on that for a few years until my latest vet said he didn't have any food allergies -- his were environmental. I switched him to something else and he did fine. I didn't notice any coat changes while he was on the Royal Canin. It's pricey, however, if the problem isn't actually a food allergy.

We tried immunotherapy for a couple of years. He was tested and the dermatologist said Luke was basically allergic to the world. :) He had so many environmental allergies. He was most allergic to wool, of all things. We got rid of our wool rugs and that actually did help. The only thing that finally helped completely was Apoquel. I had some misgivings about giving him that, but it was a quality of life issue by the time I did. He kept getting bacterial skin infections. I tried fish oil supplements, which the vet suggested earlier on, but that didn't help either.

Good luck. Leo is beautiful!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have used the Purina Pro Plan Hydrolyzed Protein for few weeks when Duke had a severe allergic reaction. His face swelled, hives, itching and licking like crazy. He was so bad we ended up at the ER vet. He had been on a chicken protein based food for years, but suddenly started having problems and then the above happened. The hydrolyzed protein was great for giving his system a break and allowing us the time to figure out the problem. We slowly transitioned him to his current food and were able to see if it caused any problems. We ended putting him on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Lamb and Oat. (We first tried the PPP SSS Salmon but he started itching on it) He is doing really well on it. Duke is older and that night was the start of us realizing he had some other issues going on. He now gets 1 or 2 Cytopoint injections a year, normally late fall to early winter, for environmental allergies. I can't recommend them enough. They make the itching and licking stop.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My vet did mention cytopoint! She just wanted to try the diet to rule out if it is truly a food allergy or if it could potentially be an environmental allergy. I will try it out and see how it goes, seems like we are at the vet every couple weeks for something allergy related :(

·
Registered
452 Posts
My vet did mention cytopoint! She just wanted to try the diet to rule out if it is truly a food allergy or if it could potentially be an environmental allergy. I will try it out and see how it goes, seems like we are at the vet every couple weeks for something allergy related :(
If it's a food allergy you may find that it makes your frequent vet visits stop. With Duke I did find that he definitely had developed a chicken allergy, but he seems to have developed a few environmental ones along the way. We did a simple blood test for allergies. I think it was sent to Univ of Michigan, but I'm not positive. I know our vet wanted it sent to a particular lab. I guess I'm lucky that he never had any until around age 7-8.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Luke got those occasionally too. They're helpful if needed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Yes it is very frustrating because we do everything in our power to give him a good nutrition and keep him healthy but every couple months or weeks something else pops up. It gets frustrating for us I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be for him to be itchy all the time. If the diet doesn't work I think we will be going on the cytopoint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you thought at all about providing a home cooked diet?

I had a golden who was in and out of the vet's office with itchiness and other skin problems, ear infections etc. He was given Apoquel and Cytopoint. When he later developed cancer (possibly due to the drugs, which supress the immune system) I put him on a home cooked diet. His allergies vanished and he lost weight. I wish someone had suggested to me to stop giving him kibble much earlier.

The problem with commercial kibble is that even though the ingredients are listed, there is a huge range of things that can be included in that one ingredient.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started him on a home cooked rice and chicken diet and that caused him to get some itchiness, not sure if fish can do the same. My vet also explained that my dog could be allergic to in intact animal proteins that are in his current food and that the prescribed food has a dehydrated, smaller version of these vital protein and once they get hydrolyzed in the stomach it doesn't give the body enough of a chance to get an allergic reaction from it which is another reason i was hesitant to go raw or home cooked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You might consider trying ground turkey instead of chicken. I throw ground turkey, sweet potato cubes, barley, bone broth and squash into the slow cooker. Also, a fat is necessary and insufficient fat can also lead to itchiness. I use olive oil and coconut oil. My puppy loves it, its very healthy and also not expensive. Its not the only thing I feed him though, but its the recipe his system likes the best. A surprising number of dogs can be allergic to chicken for various reasons.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Fully recommend trying the hydrolyzed RC diet, that being said, all supplements and treats need to stop as well if you’re really trying to determine if there is a food allergy at play...I’d try that diet first and then if the itching persists then seek an injection like cytopoint. And your going to need to give the diet several weeks to see results.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your advice! Yes our plan is to try it for 4-6 weeks with no treats or supplements and then if it would have to be a long term diet then look into supplements.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My golden is on hydrolyzed protein dog food and treats. After months of diarrhea, itchiness, a big tumor (turns out to be related to his allergy!) and ear infection, the vet put him on this food with Cytopoint. He has had two injections so far. He is also taking 2 benadryls am, 3 at pm.

It has made a lot of difference, thank goodness. But he was suffering since we got him with diarrhea. He managed to go outside every time but the poor boy was miserable.

I do not know what the long term plan is at the moment.

This is the first time I have been able to relax about my dog. Chronic diarrhea is not fun. I am sorry if any of you are still dealing with this.

As far as homemade food, he still had diarrhea so that’s not an option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts