Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to this forum and looking for some guidance. We are thinking of purchasing a puppy from Honeybrook Golden Retrievers in Pa. The mom is Esther and dad is Jackson. This is Esther's 2nd litter. Has anyone purchased a puppy from them?

Can anyone recommend another breeder besides Harborview (nothing against them). Just looking for other recommendations.

Also, with my constant search for a new puppy, I am overwhelmed by the different price range for a golden. What would one pay for a golden that has all their clearances?

Would greatly appreciate any advice :wavey:

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Just another recommendation, since I don't know a lot about Honeybrook! Brianne Goldens is in Valencia, PA. Owner Anne Pittman was recommended to me by the GR Club of Pittsburgh as was Pamaande Goldens. I've met both breeders and they're wonderful. They actually just had a litter in November that I got to see. All are in their forever homes now. So I don't know when their next litter would be. Hillock Golden Retrievers is not far, and they are active in conformation and have clearances. I have no experience with Honeybrook but know that there are a handful of Honeybrook pups around here. Do a search and a thread or two should come up!

http://briannegoldens.com/
http://www.hillockgoldens.com/index.html

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just a quick look gives this information:
No registered name for Esther so difficult to check clearances. Esther's sire has only hips listed in the OFA database and he's listed as a Fair. No elbow, heart or eye clearances in the database. Esther's mother has no clearances in OFA or CERF databases.
There is no dog named Jackson on that site so difficult to check clearances for him too.

*note* - clearances not listed in the OFA/CERF database does not necessarily mean they weren't done. If there's a question, speak with the breeder but make sure to ask for the documentation to back up anything that they tell you.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I would expect to pay anywhere from $1000-$2000 for a well-bred golden out of good lines and parents who have all of the proper clearances. There are a lot of happy Harborview families on the forum.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
I searched the OFA database by the prefix Honeybrook, and the only clearances were for dogs done back in the late 1990's-nothing current.

I managed to find a few names on k9data.com and came up with Ellie's pedigree. Entering her name in the OFA database came up with no clearances, and I found the same thing for their stud, Montana.

Coupling this with the fact that their website only says that hips are checked for hip dysplasia, leads me to wonder if they submit x-rays at all. They may just have their regular vet check them, which is not acceptable.

In the US, hips are rated by either OFA or PennHip. Most breeders that I know who do PennHip also do OFA, since one of the PennHIp views is an OFA shot. The only place that rates elbows is the OFA. Eyes are to be done annually by a veterinary opthamologist, and I saw no evidence of this. It is possible they have the paperwork, and not the CERF registration number. Hearts are to be done at least once by a veterinary cardiologist, and again, they may have the clearance but not the OFA registration number.

Clearances required for Goldens in the US, prior to breeding, per the Golden Retriever Club of America, are OFA or PennHip for hips, OFA for elbows, annual eye checks by a veterinary opthamologist and a heart clearance from a veterinary cardiologist, not a practitioner. Canadian breeders can use OVC for their clearances.

Here's a link to the thread discussing clearances and what they actually look like:

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=71378

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone!

I found a breeder that I absolutely love!!!!! I got her name through the contact person of the golden retriever club here in Pgh. I spoke with her yesterday and she is great! Actually AWESOME...she cares about her dogs, the people who will purchase them, and is so patient! The parents have all their clearances. Saw pics of the parents and pups from last litter and they are gorgeous! I am so excited to meet my new family member who will be arriving around April.

I can't thank you all enough for your advice. W/out it I might have missed out and not discovered this breeder. My endless search is finally over. Now I just have to be patient and wait to meet my new family member.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Curious who the breeder is that you have decided on. Would you care to share?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
This is great news. Hope the days go by quickly for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love to share who I am getting my new family member from...She was referred to me by Patty Depp (referral person for the club here in Pgh) and Patty had copies of all the dogs' clearances. Her name is Marcy w/ Ruffwater Kennel. Marcy is great..very knowledgeable, personable, and most of all, loves her dogs! The mom is Willow and dad is Lotto (with Harborview). Absolutely beautiful dogs!!!

I will definitely post pics when I get my new little guy/girl!:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone! The exact name of the kennel is Ruffwater Golden Retrievers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for names if we get a boy? Our family can't agree on a name. So far the contending names are Riley, Chip, Jake, and Snickers. For a girl, we have Pumpkin & Chloe.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Congrats! I like the name Chip, personally. Very cute for a little guy! :)

I haven't heard of Ruffwater, but am glad that you've found them for your future puppy. A quick search on www.offa.org for clearances didn't turn anything up for "ruff" when searched. But I just realized I missed your post where someone had copies of clearances! Woo-hoo! Glad to hear that! They may have just gotten done and aren't up on OFA yet. :)

We want puppy pictures!! :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
First of welcome to the forum and congratulations on finding your golden.

You simply can not go wrong with a Lotto puppy. I may be biased though as Gracie's dad is Lotto. Also, Traz who is a member here has two Lotto kids....Kadence and Kuper.

Here are a couple photos:

This was in September...the day Traz took Kuper home...Gracie and Kadence are littermates and are 8 months old here. Kadence is on the left, Gracie on the right. The one who can't stop moving is Super Kuper:

This is one of my favorite photos of Gracie from about the same time:

Meet Lotto:

Here is the quintessential lover boy Lotto....when we go to visit Jen, Lotto ALWAYS greets us at the door. As soon as you sit...Lotto is in your lap and he does not move. He is one of the mellowest most loving goldens I have ever met.

Again congratulations and keep us updated on your new puppy. When is the homecoming date?

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Congratulations on finding a breeder! (I meant to state that in my last post but somehow did not :doh:) We will be looking forward to news and photos in the near future.

I believe Marcy is new to breeding and the bitch is not of her own breeding so thus does not have "Ruffwater" in her registered name. My first litter's dam did not have my kennel name in her registered name either.

Reactions: CarolinaCasey

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I believe Marcy is new to breeding and the bitch is not of her own breeding so thus does not have "Ruffwater" in her registered name. My first litter's dam did not have my kennel name in her registered name either.
Now that makes a LOT of sense! :doh: I should have realized! Oh well, still learning over here, too! :)

I've always liked Harborview dogs, you'll have a very good looking puppy if it looks anything like Lotto! (or Gracie/Kadence/Cooper, too!)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Sucker for Gold,
Your Gracie is beautiful!!!!

and to the OP, congrats on picking a breeder! I know all to well how long the wait seems, but it'll go by pretty quick! I LOVE Jake and Riley for a boy. I also like Toby, Teddy, Roger, Steve....you can probably tell I love people names for dogs! haha

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome, I am the one with 2 of Lotto's puppies from Harborview that Sucker for Gold was talking about . Lotto definitely has a great personality. I am not familiar with Ruffwater, but Jenn is particular who she studs her dogs with, so you can be confidant you will have gotten a great pup. I may have met Marcy at the Cleveland dog show, Jenn introduced me to someone who I think her name was Marcy. Not sure, met a lot of people.
Looking forward to ongoing photos. Good luck on a name, we had a terrible time deciding both times. Riley was one I had liked for our girl originally.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
As for names

Ruffwater's Smooth Sailing - Captain, Sailor, Bumpy, Slick

Ruffwater's Calm Sea - Tranquil, Serenity, Harmony

Ruffwater's Bold Rafting - Utah, Yuba, Ocoee, Lehigh

1 - 20 of 37 Posts