Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again!

I think I've found a reputable breeder, all the way up on the Washington/Oregon border. This is her website: Northwest Goldens - A Reputable Breeder of Golden Retriever Puppies in the Pacific Northwest. It doesn't have much information about the dogs on her website, but I talked with her on the phone and she very enthusiastically confirmed that all the dogs had their health clearances done. She's the vice president (and former president) of the Oregon GRC, so I don't think she would (or could) lie...

She's an incredibly nice lady and she's sent me pictures of the newborns. I told her I wanted to do hospital therapy work and she was very happy to hear it, and said she knew exactly how to pick the perfect pup for me. I'm really hoping this is the right choice to make!

Oh, and more information: She said the sire of the litter was Shooter from Trilogy Goldens Trilogy Goldens, Golden Retrievers, Sherwood, OR

Has anyone had experience with this breeder? Is this a good choice?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have already sent my deposit into Judy, but since then she has not returned my calls or emails. I want to confirm the pick up date and time since we have to make airline reservations. Before I sent in the deposit she sent pictures and said she would send more but has not. And when she answered the phone once, hurried me off without even talking to me saying she would call me right back but had to take care of some client boarding immediatly. Will not call or email me back or answer the phone. I'm worried.

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
How about calling Trilogy goldens, and saying you are excited to have a Shooter pup, and asking if they will evaluate the litter? You might get info you need, and you might get the most therapy-oriented puppy too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: ) I put my deposit on one of these puppies, and I told Judy I had wanted to do therapy work. She told me she'd pick the perfect one for me!

I also contacted Lori, Shooter's owner. She told me about him and she was really nice to talk to.

Ibby, I also had that problem. I had been trying to contact her for two weeks with no response, but Lori confirmed that she was extremely busy with something (family related) , and today I called her again and she finally called back. She said she was at a dog show in Oregon and she would e-mail me back as soon as she got home.
Are we both getting a shooter/olive puppy? :) This is so exciting! Where are you from?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes Charmie, I'm getting an Olive/Shooter puppy. We are flying up from so. california and yes, I finally heard back from her and have made arrangements. I am very excited to get my 'little boy' golden!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh Cool! I'm from North California; we're driving! I'm sooo excited! I'm going to be picking her up probably on the 4th or 5th!

We should totally meet up if we're ever in the same area so our dogs could reunite sometime! : ) I bet it would be adorable.

·
Registered
710 Posts
This is a breeder in our "general" area I have been looking at to call about puppies, please update when you two receive your puppies to let us know how it went. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ibby, have you heard back from her since three days ago? She said she would send me pictures as soon as she got home, but she hasn't e-mailed me. I'm hesitant to call her again because I've already e-mailed her to ask for an update on the puppies, and I haven't gotten pictures since the ones she sent me when they were newborns. :/ I'm sure that in the end the puppy will make it to me just fine, but I just want to know how they're doing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
IBBY,
Hello~~
I was just wondering where in So. Cal. you are. We are in the Antelope Valley. Palmdale to be specific.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah Charmie, we are flying and picking up our puppy August 8th; we will be there vacationing on the 6th but probably on the road a lot and visiting a friend. But who knows, maybe we can get them together in the future, for sure post pictures of them! The breeder sent pictures of the boys and they are adorable! I know you 'girl' will be too! Make sure to post her picture, ok? Ibby

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sarah, we are in the Hi Desert (29 Palms) I like the picture of your beautiful Golden..I'm so busy, I haven't had much time to check in on posts, so often mine are late responses. Ibby

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I'm not really sure if I'm getting a boy or girl yet! She said she thinks she's giving me a girl, but I recently sent her an e-mail telling her I'd probably prefer a guy. Of course, though, she hasn't responded yet, haha. I will make sure to post a TON of photos! : ) I'm so excited I could hardly contain myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a bit belated, but Im hoping people will still check this thread for information on Northwest Goldens (Kennel is Wood Duck). My wife and I got our boy Ridley from Judy in November of last year and he has been wonderful. We could not have asked for a better pup than our Ridley and I cannot recommend Judy more highly.

Judy is an incredibley knowledgable breeder and demonstrates this any time she speaks. However, I think in part due to her intensity and busy personality, she can be difficult to reach by modern communication methods which makes this knowledge slightly harder to come by. Nonetheless, she delivered on everything we expected and we feel extremely fortunate to have found her.

I would be happy to detail my experience with her and our pup more deeply if anyone is considering her as a breeder and has questions.

Lastly, for those of you who have just picked up your puppies this month, or any others (perhaps even Ridley's siblings' parents?) I would really love to hear about your experience and how your pups are doing. Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Northwestern Goldens

We picked up our little fella last August. The breeder told us he had 'Coxidia and Gardia' and gave us pills for him in plastic baggies. However, when taking him for his first puppy check up my Vet was horrified that he was sold to us with 'coxidia' and 'gardia'. She told me that no reputable breeder sells any puppy until they are healthy. we love him very much and hope to find him clear of both from his next 'sample' taken next Saturday (he has finished his medication two weeks prior and has to wait that long before being tested) it's been scary. Also, our vet told us the puppy should have been given medication perscribed for him 'individually' for just him in RX bottles not 'baggies'. I also asked the breeder for his limited registration and she said she would send for it but as for now I have not received it, has anyone got theirs for this breeder? Ibby

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I bought a dog from Judy 5 years ago (Jan 2008). She had the same problem back then as she does today it sounds like. She hands you the dog and just as you are about to get in the car to drive away, she hands you a baggie with the pills for the same thing, coccidia and gardia. She tells us that all dogs in the States have it and blah blah blah. Being from Alaska I just was dumb enough to believe her. Until I look my boy to my vet in Alaska and found out what a jerk she is.

The worst part about Judy is, she borders on being a PUPPY MILL!! I have to say it, she has way too many dogs, her place is filthy, and she isn't very honest in her dealings. I know that Judy is on the board of her local GR club, but I have to call her on this. I'd love to see her responce to these issues.

I flew all the way to Portland to pick up my boy from Anchorage. I really had expected more from her.

You should have seen the problems I had with her when my puppy had a heart mummur when I brought him to the vet for the first time. Judy's daughter worked for the vet and in no way was she going to let me talk to Judy's vet that supposedly saw my boy. I don't think that vet ever sees any of Judy's dogs and I think her daughter helps her out to cover her tracks.

Anyway I don't normally slam people, but I would love to hear Judy's response to these problems she has. Maybe she should consider giving up breeding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We picked up our puppy from Norwest goldens this August. We love our little guy, but the breeder told us he had 'coxida and gardia' and gave us pills in 'baggies' to give him. We took him in for his puppy check up and our vet was horrified that any reputable breeder sold a puppy until it was completely healthy and RX pills should be perscribed for the individual dog in a bottle not a 'baggie'. She said the breeder sold him with a serious problem. I didn't know and we have had him on new meds perscribed just for him from our vet and will take in his 'sample' this week to hopefully get him a bill of clean health (we had to wait for the sample to be handed in after finishing meds for two weeks to clear all worms). This scared me and I also wanted to know if anyone who used this breeder ever received a 'limited' registration from them? I asked about it, and she said she had sent for it and would mail it to me, but so far no registration. I will try to find out how to download pictures...he is very cute and a happy guy...we just want him healthy and his registration someday. Ibby

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
We never got our paperwork from Judy either. I finally gave up. I couldn't tell you what his breeding was since I never got the paperwork. I did know ahead of time it was a limited registration so that wasn't a problem for me.

As for the coccidia and gardia, my pup gave the gardia to my other dogs. I spent a pile of money treating my dogs in a round robin until everyone finally came up clean, it took months, because they'd give it back to each other again.

We do love Reilly. He has the BEST temperment of all my goldens (past or present). I have run into other people here in AK that have bought dogs from Judy. I have never asked if they had the same problems I did. Judy really needs to get a handle on her program.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alaska, thanks for your input. This is really disturbing, because I thought I researched for months for the best breeder. I am going to contact her and ask about his 'papers' It makes you wonder if anything she says is true. I know another member has posted she bought from this breeder, but I have not noticed anymore recent post, so I don't know if she experienced the same problem. I'm hoping my dog is has a clean bill of health, we will know next week when all test should be in from labs. We are having two different vets compare samples to make sure, and it has cost us too. i think AKA should be informed. Glad your dogs are alright now; we too flew up from so cal to get ours at quite an expense and this is so upsetting. Thanks again for your response, all the best, Ibby

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.