1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
529 Posts
Your dog would have to have a medical reason not to have a Rabies vaccine. I live in NH and my dog has some unknown neurological issue. He is due for Rabies next month. I spoke to his Holistic Vet about getting him a medical exemption and she told me our state is very strict and he would have had to had a bad reaction to the vaccine or being treated for cancer to get an exemption. Rabies is the one vaccine I wouldn't want to avoid unfortunately. My dog goes way to many places to chance something happening and he not be properly vaccinated.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,420 Posts
Check your state (possibly county) laws about this and speak with your vet as well before making a decision - you dog's life may literally depend on this.

Most states require rabies vaccinations at this point unless there is a strong medical reason for a waiver, and in my state I believe this would need to be done every year. This may change as the rabies challenge studies progress, but for now the laws are pretty strict.

Even with a current rabies vaccine, if your dog comes into any contact with any animal who may be rabid (for instance I had a dog pick up an opossum - very low rabies risk) they need a booster - my dog mentioned above had had a booster 45 days before, but it was outside the 30 day window in my state.

If you cannot show proof of a current rabies and something happens, your dog is quarantined at your expense at best, possibly put down if say a child is bitten and they need to determine if the child needs the shots.

Most people are not willing to take those risks.

You also need to show proof of rabies on demand; dog parks, vets, daycares, dog shows etc. My town requires proof of rabies to register my dogs and that is another risk most people are not willing to take; fines are steep and I believe your dog can be confiscated if AC finds you have unregistered dogs - especially if they do not have proof of rabies vaccinations.

So I don't know anyone willing to risk their dog(s), homeowner's insurance and fines by not vaccinating for rabies -- unless there is strong compelling reasons not to such as seizures, chemotherapy, a very serious adverse reaction etc.

I have 2 dogs going in for their boosters Saturday as a matter of fact :)

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Why on earth would you want to skip giving the Rabies vaccine? You do realize that you are putting your dog at a huge risk if you do this, and unless your dog has a medical reason for not needing the vaccine, no veterinarian I know will write a letter. If your dog comes in contact or is bitten by a rabid animal, your dog will have to be euthanized. It is not only an issue for your dog, but also for you and other people in your life, as having an unvaccinated animal for Rabies is a huge risk. Are these risks you are willing to take with your dog? It is a vaccine you give every 3 years and a VERY safe vaccine. At the bare minimum, vaccinate for Rabies. I certainly understand if you titer for Distemper/Parvo, but please vaccinate your dog for Rabies.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I believe in doing titers too. But if you skipped the rabies one required by law and something happens you're both going to face big problems.

I'm pretty sure for instance a vet will not even see your dog if they are not current on rabies and you do not allow them to administer it. They have to comply with the law and won't toss their veterinarian license out the window because of a clients beliefs.

If my girl lived long enough to see her next rabies shot there would have been no question about a exemption for her. Thankfully my state has exemption laws concerning rabies shots but dogs must have a true documented problem that only a licensed vet determines.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,599 Posts
I really don't want to give my pup anymore vaccines. Her titers all came back fine (no booster needed) but we skipped rabies since it's required by law. Thinking more about it, I really don't want to compromise her system anymore. My other option would be to find a TF mercury free version of the rabies vaccine.
Depending upon the Law in your state, you may not have a choice. You have to use it and that's the end of it. You don't have a choice.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You've received a lot of replies already but I thought I'd let you know that I got an exception for Chance several years ago. I also have always done titers instead of scheduled vaccinations. Chance was having immune system issues and my vet agreed to write an exemption letter. The only time I remember needing to show the letter was to renew his license and at hotel. His rabies titer results showing he was protected were attached.

I will tell you that once he was over his problem, I got him the rabies vaccine.
For the reasons others have mentioned, it's the one vaccine that Chance gets.

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
A few Golden owners in my area decided to skip the rabies vaccination a while back, and it led to an outbreak. One person had to kill his rabid pet Golden to keep from being attacked himself. I think that was the same unvaccinated dog that was taken to a dog park. Incredible.

I can't think of a reason good enough to take that risk.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
I have both a holistic and a homeopathic veterinarian for Brisby.

Brisby would be due for a rabies booster this fall since she received her 3 year vaccine at age one.

I will be running titres for her for both the core vaccines and for rabies. If her titres for both are showing strong and not marginal immunity, I will not be re-vaccinating and my veterinarians agree. They are willing to file an exemption for her for rabies.

IMHO, if Brisby's titres show strong immunity, the only potential risk I face is getting a $90 fine and being forced to vaccinate her.

Re-vaccinating when a dog has proven immunity does nothing to strengthen the existing immunity. In other words, a dog has immunity or it doesn't.

The adage that “if it doesn’t help, it won’t hurt”
is not true for vaccines. If a dog were
vaccinated (and did not require it), the dog would
not
respond with a significant increase in
antibody titer, but
might
develop a hypersensitivity to vaccine components (
e.g., fetal bovine
serum). Furthermore, the dog should not be revaccin
ated since the vaccine could cause an
adverse reaction (hypersensitivity disorder).
In a 1992 paper Dr. Schultz wrote, “Extending the r
evaccination intervals for canine core
vaccines does not place the animal at increased ris
k to developing vaccine preventable
disease, but it does reduce the potential for adver
se reactions.” Even the three-year protocol is
very conservative, as studies point to the core vac
cines having a minimum DOI of seven years
or more. This is why running a titer, versus vaccin
ating even only every three years, is preferable.•

http://www.abrl.org/files/vaccinesWDJ0808.pdf

Good luck with your decision!

·
3 goldens
12,011 Posts
Back in 2002, I took my 2 1/2 year old golden in for part of her yearly vax. She got rabies, Lepto, Distemper. She had not had Lepto before. It was good Friday and we were the last to see our vet that day (I live in small town,he is our only vet, but very, very good. Even has folks coming out of Corpus to use him). We had planned to go to the Good Friday servic at church, but wre late getting in from the vet and hubby and I were both hungry, not enou time to cook supper and get to church, so we decided not to go.

Had been only maybe 20 minutes and I was standing at the bar getting supper ready and I saw KayCee get up from behind the recliner (it's back was to me) and run down the ahll, head adn tail low. she sat down, jumped backup and ran back and sat down behind the relicner. Then up and down theahll again,andthen back to the recliner. I knew someting was wrong. I went aroundthe bar to her as I reached, I could feel the heat coming from her body. I saw her eyes were swollen almost shut and she had what looked like pencils erasers under the skin on her nose. Went and got the do's thermomenter adn when I got back and alid her down, her stomach was covered in HUGE fire enfine red hives, and I coulf fell limps all over side, like quarters, etc just under the skin. Her temp was almost 107.

Called the vet answering serice and whiel waiting on return call, gave her two benedryl, poured some cool (not cold) water over her, wrapped in her wet towel and we continued to pour water over her. Vet called (he had been in church) and said gt her to his hospital, which is only about 1 1/2 miles from us. He was ready with injection when e got there. We stayed until her temp dropped to 103 and then we brought her home, but I had to takeher temp every 30 minutes for the net several hours. But by bedtime, temp normla, all hives gone.

Okay, he was pretty sure it was the lepto, but no way to tell for sure. She had come so close to dying and mnay times a 2ed reaction to something is worse than the first. So he decided no more vax for he at all except law required rabies.,

Okay, the sate of Texas has the law that rabies is due every 3 years. However, they also let each county and each city/town make it's own law. City over rides county, county over rides state. You can have two people living side by side and the town line is between their houses. The county says every three years, city says every year. The one inside the city liits has to have his dog vaccinated every year--even tho the vax is good for 3 years. His enighbor, out of city, only has to get his done every Or other way around--copunty every year, city every 3 years, the one in the city only does it every 3 years and his next door neighbor, out of the city ahs to do it every year. Well, our city says every year.

SO my vet said he would only give KayCee a rabies vax every 3 years andif anyone gave me trouble, send them to him and he will tell them she is not a candidate for any vax. We never knew which had hit her, and were not taking a chance., I guess she could have gotten the ones she didn't get that day, but we decided against any. So for the rest of her life, KayCee got rabies vax every 3 years.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 goldens - so sorry this happened to your baby! Glad everything is ok... Speaking of, my pup DID also get a lepto vaccine at probably 11 weeks which I still regret. Not sure why a non core vaccine was recommended by that vet which we never went back to. Thanks for sharing your story.

Do you happen to know what shot helped "fix" the issue with the hives/reaction?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Getting an exemption is for the health of a dog that is already sick or compromised in some way. An exemption is for the individual dogs health. In order to protect the dog with an exemption the owner must keep the dog from ever being exposed to any animals that may have been exposed to rabies. If the dog does get exposed the exemption does not stop the State from euthanizing the exempt dog.

An exemption isn't something to do without understanding what it really means.

The exemption is only that the dog does not get the rabies vaccination. The rest of the State laws and regulations still apply to that dog.

Most States will quarantine a dog that has been exposed to rabies that has had a vaccination and the vaccination is in good standing. Most States will euthanize a dog that has been exposed to rabies and has not had a rabies vaccination and many times a dog that has had a rabies vaccination but has expired will also be euthanized.

This is a very serious decision especially with a young healthy dog that is going to be out and about in the world.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts