Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my dh takes Bella for a walk in the woods---she loves doing this. Only this time I'm not there. So she refuses to walk with him. When we all walk together or just her and me, she just bounces along and loves it. My dh has not hurt her, he talks babytalk to her, there is no reason that she should not want to be with him. So why won't she hike with him? I am so afraid that she is only bonding with me and my dh may get jealous and feel left out. He so looked forward to having a hiking buddy....any ideas?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
He just needs to spend more time with her, maybe train her some too (training tricks or commands is a great way to bond). My dogs are responsive only to me- two won't even greet anyone else. That's pretty typical... I do everything w/my dogs. They follow me everywhere, and they don't really enjoy being walked by anyone else.

·
Missing Angel Boomer
910 Posts
My dh took Bailey's favorite training treats along with and gave them to him along the way-- it helped a lot. Dogs like their routine and sense things are off when there is a change. My husband travels and after being gone for a week, Bailey wouldn't even go out to go to the bathroom unless I walked to the door with them. After a few days, he was back to normal and would go with either one of us.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Both of mine love their Daddy to death but they are Mommy's girls. Sometimes they won't even go outside to potty for him and I know 100% that he has never been mean to either one of them. It does hurt his feelings but I just tell him that since I'm the one who does the majority care of them, ie feeding, brushing, walking that is the way it is. He wanted so much for Abby to be his girl but it hasn't worked out that way. Plus she has her issues with men since she was evidently abused somewhat in the past by her prior owner.

Your hubby just needs to spend more time with her and break the habit while she is still young.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My last golden "Sandy" was like that to a point when my parents were here to visit and would take her for long walks. After a few times, and a little coaching from me about how I do everything, hold the leash, GR always on my left side etc. They and Sandy got the idea, it is very important that who ever is on the end of the leash with two legs to be very consistent with doggie.
Just give everything a little more time. Also when a GR does anything positive, we have let them know that they are doing something positive. I always had to remind my parents, Sandy is a dog, treat her and speak to her as a dog in the role of their master. She has to know her place, every minute.

·
Registered
40 Posts
All my girls are like that. They wont go outside when he says and they wont go to bed. They just ignore him, but only when I am around. If im out they listen to him and follow his orders. I think its because they view me as leader as I do most things with them, and he is second in command.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've never experienced this, so I'm just guessing. I'd worry about Bella becoming too fixated on you - does she play/eat if you are not in the room - how does she play with other dogs... I'm not suggesting Bella has larger "issues", but rather dealing with singular symptom with a wholistic solution.

Work dh into more of the dogs life - have the food come from him, involved in training (thus treats) etc. The walking thing... consider setting up progressions ie when you go for walks, have him hold the lease etc. I wouldn't look at this as an isolated issue but rather how to work him into the fabric of Bella's life.

Forgive the ignorance and forward question, but what does "dh" stand for? All I can think of is Designated Hitter :doh:

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To Beards247---dh stands for dear hubby in computer lingo. Yes, Bella will eat/play w/o me and she does LOVE to play with other dogs. I had my hubby take her for a walk using the leash and that worked as well as taking some treats. Bella spends more of her time with me as he works and he figures I know more about dog training than he does ( I do). He hasn't a lot of patience in this early stage, he just wants to take a dog off for a 10 mile hike. We have taken many hikes as a threesome and that works fine. I feed her, take her outside to pee she travels in my car so we are mostly us two. But now I have a different problem so read my next post..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts